Pledgemusic: Ladytron - New LP and 7" single PO

https://twitter.com/LadytronMusic/status/968846351969734667

We are proud to announce our first new music since 2011.  Find out all about it, and how you can be involved.  This will be an exciting year. Love, Ladytron XXXX

New Album

Ladytron are back with a new album in 2018. Their first new music in seven years

Ladytron enter another chapter with their first new music in seven years.

Beginning with single ‘The Animals’, the group will be working in the coming months on a full length album to be released later in 2018.

The group have chosen Pledge Music as a way to record a new album with the direct participation of their audience.

By pledging you can be part of this record. Every pledge includes the “Access Pass,” which gives you entrée to exclusive updates running through the release of the record, a digital download of the album when released plus downloads of the band’s new single, “The Animals” and the remix by Vince Clarke as instant gratification tracks in March.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/ladytron

as with all Pledgemusic campaigns, everything is at least 3x what it should be, but if Ladytron is your thing and you're ok with that, there you go.

Edited by 16Shells
youtubes

Is it just me or do they continually keep replenishing the TPs of the 7”s and LP as they sell out?

I keep seeing those sell out and then suddenly ten more of each are available. They don’t post strict limits (10 only, 50 only, etc) so I guess it’s possible. 

If so, that’s a little lame. 

4 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

Is it just me or do they continually keep replenishing the TPs of the 7”s and LP as they sell out?

I keep seeing those sell out and then suddenly ten more of each are available. They don’t post strict limits (10 only, 50 only, etc) so I guess it’s possible. 

If so, that’s a little lame. 

WoW that’s incredibly shitty...

canceling my order right about meow...

33 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

I'll never understand cancelling any pre-order for no better reason than the existence of temporary unavailability during a pre-order window. It's staggeringly illogical. Like, do you people even understand what the platform is & how it works? 

Are you saying you don’t see something wrong with the band putting up a “test pressing” version of their single for over twice the price of the ordinary “limited” version, having an availability counter that turns red and reads “10 available, 9 available, etc...” as the copies sell, then suddenly having 10 more put up as soon as the first batch is gone?

Usually the incentive to buy these more expensive versions - especially on sites like Kickstarter and PledgeMusic - is that there’s a certain number and once they're gone that’s it.

What the band should have done was put all 50 or 100 or 500 test pressings up at once, but then it A ) wouldn’t looks as limited and B ) would force them to stick to an actual number of copies rather than the open-edition they currently seem to have up.

I mean, I get it’s within the band's rights to do what they want - it’s their music, their release - but this practice feels pretty shady to me and I can totally understand someone wanting to cancel if they ordered a test pressing and paid a premium thinking they were getting one of twenty copies or something. 

47 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Are you saying you don’t see something wrong with the band putting up a “test pressing” version of their single for over twice the price of the ordinary “limited” version, having an availability counter that turns red and reads “10 available, 9 available, etc...” as the copies sell, then suddenly having 10 more put up as soon as the first batch is gone?

Usually the incentive to buy these more expensive versions - especially on sites like Kickstarter and PledgeMusic - is that there’s a certain number and once they're gone that’s it.

What the band should have done was put all 50 or 100 or 500 test pressings up at once, but then it A ) wouldn’t looks as limited and B ) would force them to stick to an actual number of copies rather than the open-edition they currently seem to have up.

I mean, I get it’s within the band's rights to do what they want - it’s their music, their release - but this practice feels pretty shady to me and I can totally understand someone wanting to cancel if they ordered a test pressing and paid a premium thinking they were getting one of twenty copies or something. 

I don't really see the problem with this. The "test press" is going to be the most limited "version/variant/whatever" of this release. What does it matter if they put up 10 at a time, if they still made 20/30/40/50? That many will still exist. I'm assuming they already have a number in place for these. You have to have a record pressed, and I don't see them doing more than 50 test pressings on something like this. 

Adding numbers is how I've seen these pledgemusic things work. I don't think it takes away from how limited something is, or makes a band look shaddy for trying to add more. Sometimes quantities aren't all put up at one time because of multiple reasons. Happens for us all the time. I don't see this as the band/mgmt/whoever adding numbers to up the actual number, but to get their shit together and make sure that these quantities are correct. 

1 hour ago, unknown pleasures said:

I agree. I refuse to pay a premium for this when it seems like it’s going to be “unlimited”. If I ordered this and expected maybe ten or twenty of these to be pressed and that’s not the case, I’d cancel my order too. 

I dont thinks its “shady” but they should be more straightforward when asking at least double for what a standard pressing costs. 

Edited by numanoid

29 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I don't really see the problem with this. The "test press" is going to be the most limited "version/variant/whatever" of this release. What does it matter if they put up 10 at a time, if they still made 20/30/40/50? That many will still exist. I'm assuming they already have a number in place for these. You have to have a record pressed, and I don't see them doing more than 50 test pressings on something like this.  

I think there’s a big difference between 10 of something and 50 of something. It’s not about it being the most-limited, it’s about knowing what you’re ordering. 

(And 50 is even conservative, by my own estimates they’re at 40+ on some of these and without a hard cap this could theoretically go into the 100s.)

Maybe it’s just the ones I’ve looked at that have stayed with the original estimates and adding inventory is more common than I think, but I only remember one other time I saw it happen where a PledgeMusic release had more added after it sold out.

Again, I’m not condemning the band for this (I didn’t even order it so it makes no difference to me) but it would be nice if they were more transparent.