PO: Neko Case - Hell-On (6/6/18)

2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I dislike the duet as well, but the rest of the album is fantastic. Much better than the last 2 (which weren’t awful- just lows after Fox confessor)

Oh man, the last album is great in my opinion! There are a couple misses, but I thought overall it was terrific. The mastering on the vinyl wasn't great though

11 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I dislike the duet as well, but the rest of the album is fantastic. Much better than the last 2 (which weren’t awful- just lows after Fox confessor)

I'm enjoying this.  I agree it's better than the last two, and Fox Confessor was my intro to Neko, so I compare everything to that, maybe unfairly.

Ahhhhh...y'all need to give her other albums some credit! Fox Confessor is definitely her best album, but both the albums prior to Fox Confessor are amazing, and I really loved The Worse Things Get. "Man," "Bracing For Sunday," and "Ragtime" are all such evocative songs! Even Middle Cyclone is a good album, but I don't think it's as good as any of the albums surrounding it.

I also just love Neko Case, so I'll always go to bat for her albums. Just wishing they'd release The Virginian as a standalone album. Couldn't justify getting the box set when I already had everything besides that.

22 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Ahhhhh...y'all need to give her other albums some credit! Fox Confessor is definitely her best album, but both the albums prior to Fox Confessor are amazing, and I really loved The Worse Things Get. "Man," "Bracing For Sunday," and "Ragtime" are all such evocative songs!

Calling Cards was always the standout on The Worse for me, but overall I like the album quite a bit.

I've only had time to listen to Hell-On once and it didn't grab me at all.  Hoping something will click after a few more listens.

4 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Calling Cards was always the standout on The Worse for me, but overall I like the album quite a bit.

I've only had time to listen to Hell-On once and it didn't grab me at all.  Hoping something will click after a few more listens.

Yeah, Calling Cards is great too! That album is full of great songs :)

I'm hoping the same thing.

On 6/10/2018 at 12:49 AM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Ahhhhh...y'all need to give her other albums some credit!

I may listen to Fox Confessor more often, but I consider Furnace Room Lullaby and Blacklisted to be classics. Ultimately, I enjoy everything she's done.

I'm still on the fence about the Case/Lang/Veirs LP, but sometimes it takes me years before an album finally grabs me.

(sorry, should have multi-quoted there. I'll try harder!)

Edited by creepy old guy
added

1 hour ago, arumajiro 零 一つ said:

Oof. My local store is selling this for way higher than everything else. The damn thing weighed a TON. Like, heavier than a Southern Lord 2xLP. What gives? I'll wait to buy it on a sale. Seems like no one is raving about this. Still haven't bought Case/Lang/Veirs.

Yeah, dude. it's ridiculous. Triple gatefold and a pretty thick 12" booklet, plus 180 gram 2xLP.

55 minutes ago, arumajiro 零 一つ said:

Fox Confessor might still be her best, but Middle Cyclone has even more interesting production and The Harder I Fight... has the best lyrics.

I actually pretty much agree with all of this.

9 minutes ago, arumajiro 零 一つ said:

Hmm, not sure if I need all that extra packaging at cost but that does explain a lot.

Yeah, I wouldn't have been upset without the booklet and if it had just been a regular gatefold. Super nice package all around though.

Case/Lang/Veirs is also worth picking up at some point. I absolutely love the songs where Case and Veirs take the lead, but even the Lang songs are pretty good.