Old TT vs. new one question

Hi All,

I’m new to the forums so I apologize im advance as im sure that this topic has been posted many times. 

I recently got really into vinyl and am looking to upgrade my current turntable. I was given an Audio-Technica LP60 as a birthday present a while back but am looking to finally upgrade to something more serious. It’s a fine entry table I’m sure, but it spins at improper speeds (too fast at first then I manually adjusted it but it’s become too slow- such a pain!) has anyone else had this problem?

I don’t really know where to begin as there seem to be so many options. 

Ive heard that tables from the ‘70s-‘80s are the best. Is this true? My uncle (who sadly passed away semi recently) left behind his B&O Beogram 3000 from the 70s. Unfortunately it’s not in working condition so I would need to get it fixed. Is it worth it try and get it fixed or better to just buy a new one or working used one? And if so, any advice on what to look into?

I greatly appreciate any and all help. Music is my life and I can’t stand having improperly sounding albums because my table isn’t up to par!

matthew

In general vinyl records were in their heyday in the late 70's and early 80's with the absolute peak for high end turntables being in the mid to late 90's before the CD based decline really set in first time round. So basically more varied good turntables were made and in higher numbers during the 70's and 80's so it was easier to get a good turntable. The basic building blocks of a good turntable haven't changed and when no one wanted them $300 for a new table could buy you a used table where the equivalent used table if it were new now would be 10 times that.

The down side of that is because so many turntables were made back then there was also plenty of absolute rubbish as well and all points in between so it is just as easy to pick up a big pile of crap.

Now with turntables being back in fashion good used tables are now valued much higher so you have to do your research and or be lucky to find a bargain but in general for an average decent turntable you will still get more bang for your buck with a used table over a new one but that gap is slowly closing, and if spending a lot of money (I mean in the thousands) then with modern technology there are some amazing  brand new tables around but that has never been any different.

As I say the basic fundamentals of a good turntable haven't changed and there really is nothing new as everything is either a refinement of an earlier design or more accurately a blatant copy so you pay your money and take your choice. The bottom line with going used is research, research, research but the internet can be a huge help and a huge hindrance, there is a huge amount of info out there but a lot of it is utter rubbish. e.g. "My (insert name here) is the best turntable in the world" coming from someone who has only ever heard two turntables in their life isn't really to be trusted. Try and talk to people who have listened to lots of different turntables for their opinions but ultimately trust your own ears.

And as to B&O, like all makers that produced many models over a long period, they made everything from complete stunners all the way down to utter crap but the biggest things with B&O were that most of it unfortunately was form over function so the look was more important than the design in most cases, and with the turntables unlike most other makers turntables the cartridges were B&O specific and are now impossible to get new so you have to have them rebuilt at quite a cost.

The Beogram 3000 being a tangential tracking turntable is quite good by B&O standards and now has a higher value than it's real worth so my advice if the cartridge is in good condition would be to sell it and put the money to something better. Even if the cartridge is worn I would still sell it as it still has a pretty good value but try it and if you like it and the cartridge is good then keep it. You will only learn what you like and what you consider is good or bad by listening to it.