Panic! At The Disco - Pray For The Wicked [Out June 22] (P/O)

4 minutes ago, @@ron said:

Anyone see the pressing numbers anywhere? 

I just went with black and white. Seems to fit the cover art best. 

Holding off on the same thing, honestly. Not TOO concerned with which one I end up with in the end, but if I get the chance at one being a low pressing number, I'll scoop! 

3 hours ago, ejc625 said:

Really? I thought standard weight was closer to 150 gram. 

I kind of prefer them to be thinner. I've had a lot of 180g pressings that were super warped and even a record weight/clamp won't flatten them quite well enough because of how thick they are. At least with a thinner record it's a bit more pliable.

Also, I went for the "smoke" or marble or whatever. Came out great on Interpol's Our Love to Admire.

41 minutes ago, rhcp02 said:

Anyone know if they charge right away for this?

I'm pretty sure they do. I got charged in full, albeit I paid with PayPal. Every record I've purchased direct from the artist has been charged immediately. BM and Amazon don't charge right away, which is really nice, but I've never had a problem with getting a refund from an artist before.

5 hours ago, ejc625 said:

Really? I thought standard weight was closer to 150 gram. 

There were a lot around 100g in the 70s when millions were pressed. 150 gram is / was the "audiophile" heavy weight before they decided 180g was the new sell bait in like 2008. Doesn't affect sound at all just harder to warp (and also unwarp which is annoying as fuck as posted above)

13 hours ago, Sunshine said:

There were a lot around 100g in the 70s when millions were pressed. 150 gram is / was the "audiophile" heavy weight before they decided 180g was the new sell bait in like 2008. Doesn't affect sound at all just harder to warp (and also unwarp which is annoying as fuck as posted above)

It is all personal, but claiming it doesn't affect sound at all isn't quite right. Is the audiophile tag a marketing ploy? Yes. Is the 'deeper grooves' claim true? No. Will the average punter be able to tell the difference? No.

The improved isolation and dampening you get with heavier vinyl, while small, does help improve clarity of sound, but these things are superfluous/environmental. I think you are referring to the fact that they can't physically get a better 'image' of the music onto the disc just because of there being more weight (which is true).

My general rule is I go for 180g vinyl from physical stores I trust, and know there has been little chance of warping occurring (good shop conditions, shelving is not conducive to pressure, not posted in dodgy mailers), but a second hand record, or from a web store I'd rather a lighter option when available. An unwarped 180g disc is going to be more durable, and have a safer/happier life in a caring home.

10 hours ago, dan_smee said:

It is all personal, but claiming it doesn't affect sound at all isn't quite right. Is the audiophile tag a marketing ploy? Yes. Is the 'deeper grooves' claim true? No. Will the average punter be able to tell the difference? No.

The improved isolation and dampening you get with heavier vinyl, while small, does help improve clarity of sound, but these things are superfluous/environmental. I think you are referring to the fact that they can't physically get a better 'image' of the music onto the disc just because of there being more weight (which is true).

My general rule is I go for 180g vinyl from physical stores I trust, and know there has been little chance of warping occurring (good shop conditions, shelving is not conducive to pressure, not posted in dodgy mailers), but a second hand record, or from a web store I'd rather a lighter option when available. An unwarped 180g disc is going to be more durable, and have a safer/happier life in a caring home.

No it's quite right. Whatever you're hearing is a placebo effect. I know this because this is a fucking panic at the disco thread I don't know why I'm even in here discussing this.

• 2 months later...
On 3/21/2018 at 10:21 PM, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

Most records are 120 gram...

Not true. 140 - 160 is about average. 120 is very thin and I've only seen them this thin a couple of times. 

This message brought to you by the guy who weighs all of his records. 

Edited by Buffbloom

30 minutes ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

Your collection doesn't represent most records.

Are you saying that my collection doesn't represent modern day vinyl releases?  I don't get what you're trying to say.  I feel like you're comparing the weight of a post 2010 record to vintage records.  I dunno dude, I just have a lot of data to back me up.

10 minutes ago, Buffbloom said:

Are you saying that my collection doesn't represent modern day vinyl releases?  I don't get what you're trying to say.  I feel like you're comparing the weight of a post 2010 record to vintage records.  I dunno dude, I just have a lot of data to back me up.

Cool. I just weighed 3 records that weren't advertised as 180 gram and all three were in the 130s which is the same this will be. It'd be hilarious if your scale was off and all your "data" is wrong.

And mixed color records no matter what the type (splatter, split, smash, haze) are all done by hand and will usually end up heavier or off the normal weight.

A few years ago I compiled a list.  Now, my collection now is MUCH larger, but this is a sample of the 240 12" records that I had at the time.

Highest - 198g

Average - 159.83g

Lowest - 104g

Here is the list - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k5tJ54jWvxm3_rLiwr3CQYaQvY9FbqLKjCgZbxhEDh8/edit?usp=sharing

My scale is not wrong.  Yours is though.

Stop spreading false information.  You are wrong.

Edited by Buffbloom

6 minutes ago, Buffbloom said:

A few years ago I compiled a list.  Now, my collection now is MUCH larger, but this is a sample of the 240 12" records that I had at the time.

Highest - 198g

Average - 159.83g

Lowest - 104g

Here is the list - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k5tJ54jWvxm3_rLiwr3CQYaQvY9FbqLKjCgZbxhEDh8/edit?usp=sharing

My scale is not wrong.  Yours is though.

Stop spreading false information.  You are wrong.

Screenshot_20180622_150920.jpg