PO NOW: Caspian - The Four Trees 10 Year Anniversary Press

41 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I have zero problem with being wrong, and there was quite literally zero whining; I just don't understand why it's so hard for you to simply say "Actually check again, he does in fact use a floor tom" like any well-adjusted adult would when correcting someone in this situation.  You just have this predisposition to dig into people and make it an insult, and I just don't get why or where that comes from.  Nobody who is truly happy inside speaks to others that way.  I will concede it is kind of comical how triggered you get over things, but I know that's not a peaceful place to be, so I do feel bad a bit about it.  Even here in the response, you're trying to stir up more drama with your quote-musician-quote insult.  Grow up man, you're better than that.  

Back on topic though, I'm very curious what IS the reason for the hold up.  No pejorative framing, just curiosity! 

To be fair, you definitely bring it out in people because of how you talk (type?). He's not wrong that you state things that you're not sure of as facts and you have, these as he called them "revelations" about bands constantly that are either just straight up wrong, or something that you should have realized long before you did. A week later you often backtrack on them.

For sure homeboy jumped down your throat more than he should have, and there was definitely a nicer way to say it. BUT. Coming straight at you is at least honest, as opposed to you doing your holier-than-thou act followed up by an attack on his mental health issues.

We all know I've always thought you were a turd because I've been vocal about that. Until today I never really thought you were an asshole though. You're at least as big an asshole as Matt, but assholes I can deal with, but on top of being an asshole you're disingenuous which is worse.

11 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

To be fair, you definitely bring it out in people because of how you talk (type?). He's not wrong that you state things that you're not sure of as facts and you have, these as he called them "revelations" about bands constantly that are either just straight up wrong, or something that you should have realized long before you did. A week later you often backtrack on them.

For sure homeboy jumped down your throat more than he should have, and there was definitely a nicer way to say it. BUT. Coming straight at you is at least honest, as opposed to you doing your holier-than-thou act followed up by an attack on his mental health issues.

We all know I've always thought you were a turd because I've been vocal about that. Until today I never really thought you were an asshole though. You're at least as big an asshole as Matt, but assholes I can deal with, but on top of being an asshole you're disingenuous which is worse.

Let me get this straight. You've always thought he was a turd, but until today, and only today, he became an asshole. Not just an asshole, but an asshole you can deal with. Is that a promotion or a demotion?

Just now, Shrekular Haze said:

Let me get this straight. You've always thought he was a turd, but until today, and only today, he became an asshole. Not just an asshole, but an asshole you can deal with. Is that a promotion or a demotion?

No, no, no. If he was just an asshole I could deal with him. I'm terrific with assholes, ask @tetsuodaironman, gaping is the game.

Gumbo is a disingenuous asshole though, and I don't mess with those. Definitely a demotion from turd in this case, though sometimes asshole can be an upgrade from turd. You can't get a showerfart without an asshole, but if you get a turd in there, well, it's not a showerfart anymore is it? Then it's just a showershart.

4 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

No, no, no. If he was just an asshole I could deal with him. I'm terrific with assholes, ask @tetsuodaironman, gaping is the game.

Gumbo is a disingenuous asshole though, and I don't mess with those. Definitely a demotion from turd in this case, though sometimes asshole can be an upgrade from turd. You can't get a showerfart without an asshole, but if you get a turd in there, well, it's not a showerfart anymore is it? Then it's just a showershart.

Gumbo is annoying, but if you think anything in the above exchange was his fault - you're way off. I get that piling on the weakest link is a pretty fun thing to do, but when it's unwarranted, as it is here, it just comes off as shitty and needlessly mean. 

Coming in to support someone being an asshole might even be worse than being an asshole in the first place. This is like White Knighting for the aggressor.

28 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

I'm not better than anybody else, man.  Just as an educator, my prime social directive is to get people (kids) to be nicer to each other.  The world is full of shit, and it's unnecessary.  Everything is more fun when we're nicer and kinder to each other.  Last week, we had Field Day at one of the elementary schools I work at.  The first activity is the mile run for the top 3 fastest kids in K-5.  When that last kindergartner gets to his final lap, everyone else who has finished joins up and finishes with him, so he's not alone.  It's fucking wonderful to see, man.  That's the kind of shit that can change the world.  Adults in here slinging insults, nah.  That's stupid. 

Also, if you can provide some backing details on your previous claims, I'd be all ears and very curious because I can't honestly recall a single instance of the things you're saying.  If I'm wrong about something, then I'm wrong... big freaking deal haha.  The world keeps spinning.  I don't get those people who always have to be right about stuff; that's such a strange personality trait.  Also, did you used to go under another username?  Not being a sarcastic dick, I just don't recall seeing "ishtar" in any of the post-rock discussions over the years is all. 

As much shit as anybody gives me here, you'll never find me calling anyone names or engaging in other juvenile behavior like that, because it's stupid.  I'm just here to talk about music, because I love music, and presumably you guys do too.

Anyway, enough of this nonsense.  Dude still doesn't play with any rack toms, which is pretty wild. 

2 minutes ago, My Upvote is A Downvote said:

oh, a victory lap?

Ha....  I suppose you could come at it from that perspective.  Its just a great thing though to see the bigger 5th graders taking the time to run along with the little kid who is last.  Nobody left behind kind of idea.  The fastest 5th grader did it in just about 5 minutes this year too.  Pretty impressive to watch happen. 

17 minutes ago, rooks said:

Gumbo is annoying, but if you think anything in the above exchange was his fault - you're way off. I get that piling on the weakest link is a pretty fun thing to do, but when it's unwarranted, as it is here, it just comes off as shitty and needlessly mean. 

Coming in to support someone being an asshole might even be worse than being an asshole in the first place. This is like White Knighting for the aggressor.

Oh, Matt is for sure an asshole and it's unwarranted in this situation. Just saying Gumbo rubs people the wrong way, and what he had to say was pretty shitty when he acts like he's striving for peace and harmony like he always does. Knowing Matt personally and then seeing him get called out for mental issues is a bummer.

9 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I'm not better than anybody else, man.  Just as an educator, my prime social directive is to get people (kids) to be nicer to each other.  The world is full of shit, and it's unnecessary.  Everything is more fun when we're nicer and kinder to each other.  Last week, we had Field Day at one of the elementary schools I work at.  The first activity is the mile run for the top 3 fastest kids in K-5.  When that last kindergartner gets to his final lap, everyone else who has finished joins up and finishes with him, so he's not alone.  It's fucking wonderful to see, man.  That's the kind of shit that can change the world.  Adults in here slinging insults, nah.  That's stupid. 

Also, if you can provide some backing details on your previous claims, I'd be all ears and very curious because I can't honestly recall a single instance of the things you're saying.  If I'm wrong about something, then I'm wrong... big freaking deal haha.  The world keeps spinning.  I don't get those people who always have to be right about stuff; that's such a strange personality trait.  Also, did you used to go under another username?  Not being a sarcastic dick, I just don't recall seeing "ishtar" in any of the post-rock discussions over the years is all. 

As much shit as anybody gives me here, you'll never find me calling anyone names or engaging in other juvenile behavior like that, because it's stupid.  I'm just here to talk about music, because I love music, and presumably you guys do too.

Anyway, enough of this nonsense.  Dude still doesn't play with any rack toms, which is pretty wild. 

Everything you say is stated as a fact rather than an opinion. You may not mean it that way and I get that you're just a passionate dude, but you definitely act like your opinions are facts. It's not the worst thing in the world, just kind of annoying and I'm not going to go searching for examples of it since I don't really care that much. As far as the backtracking bit, that's just been the bands that you'll get soooo psyched about and then a week/a month/however long later come back and talk about how they're same-y or you don't like it now. It's only happened a couple times.

I don't think anyone here has to be right about anything. Most of us state things as opinions and it's clear, but exactly like what happened above with you claiming the dude doesn't use toms at all. It could easily have been "I don't think he even uses toms!" but instead it was, "He doesn't use toms," as if it were a fact, which was incorrect. It's just a wording thing and something to think about as you speak or type.

Just like saying "Adults in here slinging insults, nah.  That's stupid," followed up with "As much shit as anybody gives me here, you'll never find me calling anyone names or engaging in other juvenile behavior like that, because it's stupid."  The first part can absolutely be read as you calling the people slinging insults (Matt, or heck, me at this point since this is a response to me calling you a turd) stupid, yet you then claim not to call people names.  I just feel like you've got this thin layer of positivity that you're trying to use to hide who you really are, which is a real person who has feelings that sometimes aren't nice. It's totally ok to express displeasure with someone and sometimes that involves telling someone you don't like/get their whole deal. Maybe I just don't like your vibe, dude. It's like a nice looking table that just turns out to be a thin veneer over press-board.

Then saying "I'm just here to talk about music, because I love music, and presumably you guys do too," which can be read as condescending, implying if someone disagrees with you or calls you out on something rather than just moving on or strictly talking about the music they're not here for the right reasons. I would have thought someone who works with young children would be more careful choosing their words.

"Anyway, enough of this nonsense." - Is it really nonsense when someone tries to show you a behavior you have that is a detriment to you and could be an annoyance to others? I have been relatively inactive lately, and I definitely try to steer clear of these long rant posts lately, but you bring it out in me.

But I agree, playing without any rack toms is interesting and pretty unique.

As to who I am...:

RandySavage.jpg

It's me, brother.

4 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

Oh, Matt is for sure an asshole and it's unwarranted in this situation. Just saying Gumbo rubs people the wrong way, and what he had to say was pretty shitty when he acts like he's striving for peace and harmony like he always does. Knowing Matt personally and then seeing him get called out for mental issues is a bummer.

Everything you say is stated as a fact rather than an opinion. You may not mean it that way and I get that you're just a passionate dude, but you definitely act like your opinions are facts. It's not the worst thing in the world, just kind of annoying and I'm not going to go searching for examples of it since I don't really care that much. As far as the backtracking bit, that's just been the bands that you'll get soooo psyched about and then a week/a month/however long later come back and talk about how they're same-y or you don't like it now. It's only happened a couple times.

I don't think anyone here has to be right about anything. Most of us state things as opinions and it's clear, but exactly like what happened above with you claiming the dude doesn't use toms at all. It could easily have been "I don't think he even uses toms!" but instead it was, "He doesn't use toms," as if it were a fact, which was incorrect. It's just a wording thing and something to think about as you speak or type.

Just like saying "Adults in here slinging insults, nah.  That's stupid," followed up with "As much shit as anybody gives me here, you'll never find me calling anyone names or engaging in other juvenile behavior like that, because it's stupid."  The first part can absolutely be read as you calling the people slinging insults (Matt, or heck, me at this point since this is a response to me calling you a turd) stupid, yet you then claim not to call people names.  I just feel like you've got this thin layer of positivity that you're trying to use to hide who you really are, which is a real person who has feelings that sometimes aren't nice. It's totally ok to express displeasure with someone and sometimes that involves telling someone you don't like/get their whole deal. Maybe I just don't like your vibe, dude. It's like a nice looking table that just turns out to be a thin veneer over press-board.

Then saying "I'm just here to talk about music, because I love music, and presumably you guys do too," which can be read as condescending, implying if someone disagrees with you or calls you out on something rather than just moving on or strictly talking about the music they're not here for the right reasons. I would have thought someone who works with young children would be more careful choosing their words.

"Anyway, enough of this nonsense." - Is it really nonsense when someone tries to show you a behavior you have that is a detriment to you and could be an annoyance to others? I have been relatively inactive lately, and I definitely try to steer clear of these long rant posts lately, but you bring it out in me.

But I agree, playing without any rack toms is interesting and pretty unique.

As to who I am...:

RandySavage.jpg

It's me, brother.

Ha!  I half-figured ;) 

Lots to chew on there, so thank you!  And see, you were able to bring things to my attention without being a jerk about it, so I appreciate that!  It's truly fascinating how we can all read or see the same line of text and interpret it totally differently, in terms of connotations, tone of voice, meaning etc etc. 

My comment about being right was just meant generally, not about anyone in here at all.  Nonsense referred to getting off topic, as I know that's a concern for people here.  But regardless, I appreciate the candid, level response.  Very civil.  I'm on board with that!

Just now, Gumbo72203 said:

Ha!  I half-figured ;) 

Lots to chew on there, so thank you!  And see, you were able to bring things to my attention without being a jerk about it, so I appreciate that!  It's truly fascinating how we can all read or see the same line of text and interpret it totally differently, in terms of connotations, tone of voice, meaning etc etc. 

My comment about being right was just meant generally, not about anyone in here at all.  Nonsense referred to getting off topic, as I know that's a concern for people here.  But regardless, I appreciate the candid, level response.  Very civil.  I'm on board with that!

All good dude, you've honestly annoyed me much less lately, so I appreciate you working on stuff. I've been trying to be less aggressive lately on here too.

1 minute ago, Ishtar said:

All good dude, you've honestly annoyed me much less lately, so I appreciate you working on stuff. I've been trying to be less aggressive lately on here too.

By god, I think I like you now!  XD XD  Truthfully though man, positivity brings positivity.  It's a cliche psychobabble Tony Robbins kind of nonsense but it works if you work it.  It's so easy to fall into being awful to anonymous people online, I fall prey to it on Facebook with political posts.  Not a trait I like about myself, but sometimes you just get sucked in before you even realize it.  Anyway, it's time for sleep.  Have a good night dude!   

19 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

By god, I think I like you now!  XD XD  Truthfully though man, positivity brings positivity.  It's a cliche psychobabble Tony Robbins kind of nonsense but it works if you work it.  It's so easy to fall into being awful to anonymous people online, I fall prey to it on Facebook with political posts.  Not a trait I like about myself, but sometimes you just get sucked in before you even realize it.  Anyway, it's time for sleep.  Have a good night dude!   

Same, you too. Sorry everyone else for this back and forth.

I'm sorry too. Didn't mean for it to turn into this whole thing. Yah, I'm an asshole, I'm fine with that. Turning it into a mental disorder thing was pretty fucked up though. I was just annoyed over the opinion as fact thing. Sure, I could have handled it nicer and for that I apologise. I think my tone didn't come across well at all cause I honestly was laughing with my original statement. But anyway, yah, my bad. 

1 hour ago, Dave Grohl said:

I'm sorry too. Didn't mean for it to turn into this whole thing. Yah, I'm an asshole, I'm fine with that. Turning it into a mental disorder thing was pretty fucked up though. I was just annoyed over the opinion as fact thing. Sure, I could have handled it nicer and for that I apologise. I think my tone didn't come across well at all cause I honestly was laughing with my original statement. But anyway, yah, my bad. 

Def wasn't meaning to imply a legit mental disorder, I'm not sure how that was teased out of what I said.  I meant it more like, say... a disgruntled office worker who hates their job and comes out of work miserable, and they're stuck in traffic, and even though THEY aren't moving either, they won't let someone else in front of them, and will just sit idling in front of the line of cars waiting to merge.  That kinda thing.  So, my apologies too if it was taken a more incising way. 

This is progress though!  I like it.  I promise, if we're all nicer to each other, it'll all be way more fun.  I did legit think he didn't play with a floor tom either... could've sworn it was just kick, snare and cymbals.  You learn something new every day! 

Back on topic though, I have finally given the remastered version of this album a few focused listens and man, I think it's a great improvement.  Reallllllllly psyched to see how it comes out on vinyl.  Some tracks I thought were fine with the original one (like Sealawn) but overall, the remaster gives the material a lot more depth and clarity.  Much excite. 

Also, plz bring back Sealawn.  I don't think that song has been played in like 7 or 8 years

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Def wasn't meaning to imply a legit mental disorder, I'm not sure how that was teased out of what I said.  I meant it more like, say... a disgruntled office worker who hates their job and comes out of work miserable, and they're stuck in traffic, and even though THEY aren't moving either, they won't let someone else in front of them, and will just sit idling in front of the line of cars waiting to merge.  That kinda thing.  So, my apologies too if it was taken a more incising way. 

This is progress though!  I like it.  I promise, if we're all nicer to each other, it'll all be way more fun.  I did legit think he didn't play with a floor tom either... could've sworn it was just kick, snare and cymbals.  You learn something new every day! 

Back on topic though, I have finally given the remastered version of this album a few focused listens and man, I think it's a great improvement.  Reallllllllly psyched to see how it comes out on vinyl.  Some tracks I thought were fine with the original one (like Sealawn) but overall, the remaster gives the material a lot more depth and clarity.  Much excite. 

Also, plz bring back Sealawn.  I don't think that song has been played in like 7 or 8 years

No worries. Waving the white vinyl flag. I went a little overboard in my intial followup. But yeah, they do use a floor tom. Haha. 

Do you have the comp on vinyl? Cause they're using the same plates as that for this remaster. So it'll sound like that; which is good. If not, you're in for a treat hearing it on vinyl. 

Just now, Dave Grohl said:

No worries. Waving the white vinyl flag. I went a little overboard in my intial followup. But yeah, they do use a floor tom. Haha. 

Do you have the comp on vinyl? Cause they're using the same plates as that for this remaster. So it'll sound like that; which is good. If not, you're in for a treat hearing it on vinyl. 

I don't, that's been on my "someday" list for a long time.  I think I'd been holding out because I've been wanting a gatefold version of Four Trees with the tan cover, as that's my favorite.  Nearly bit on discogs for the pilsner/white half-half 1st press a few times, because that variant just looks gorgeous despite my displeasure with half-half records. 

Just now, Gumbo72203 said:

I don't, that's been on my "someday" list for a long time.  I think I'd been holding out because I've been wanting a gatefold version of Four Trees with the tan cover, as that's my favorite.  Nearly bit on discogs for the pilsner/white half-half 1st press a few times, because that variant just looks gorgeous despite my displeasure with half-half records. 

I feel you on that. They go for a bit. I think usually like $60 on average last time I looked? This repress is a good opportunity to get the FT remaster on the cheap. Makes me wonder if they're gonna do an additional YATC remaster standalone. Hmm. If you ever do see that split go for sale, I highly suggest getting it; it's even prettier in person. Honestly one of my favorite record variants. 

Just now, Dave Grohl said:

I feel you on that. They go for a bit. I think usually like $60 on average last time I looked? This repress is a good opportunity to get the FT remaster on the cheap. Makes me wonder if they're gonna do an additional YATC remaster standalone. Hmm. If you ever do see that split go for sale, I highly suggest getting it; it's even prettier in person. Honestly one of my favorite record variants. 

I think even a little more than that, as I believe most of the available ones are from Europe but you're in the ball park.  Some dude from the USA had it up for like $150 for a time also.  No thanks haha.  If it ever came down to like, $50 I'd probably pull the trigger.  It really is so pretty. 

With what you brought up about a standalone YATC, do you know why they decided to do a standalone Four Trees release, given the comp's existence? 

20 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I think even a little more than that, as I believe most of the available ones are from Europe but you're in the ball park.  Some dude from the USA had it up for like $150 for a time also.  No thanks haha.  If it ever came down to like, $50 I'd probably pull the trigger.  It really is so pretty. 

With what you brought up about a standalone YATC, do you know why they decided to do a standalone Four Trees release, given the comp's existence? 

That's just mental. I think I paid around $50 for mine if I'm remembering correctly. 

And no, talking to you made me wonder if they're gonna do such a thing. If they do it'll be a 3rd press, which seems plausable. If they do, I hope it's smoother than this whole process has been. 

And my best guess as to why this is taking so long is that they got the records in, prematurely created shipping labels, had problems shipping off brick and mortar orders, and the individual orders suffered cause of it. No excuse for there absence of communication though. Even the band is annoyed at it. I simple follow-up email would ease a lot of discomfort. I'm fine with waiting; just give me an update. 

2 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

That's just mental. I think I paid around $50 for mine if I'm remembering correctly. 

And no, talking to you made me wonder if they're gonna do such a thing. If they do it'll be a 3rd press, which seems plausable. If they do, I hope it's smoother than this whole process has been. 

And my best guess as to why this is taking so long is that they got the records in, prematurely created shipping labels, had problems shipping off brick and mortar orders, and the individual orders suffered cause of it. No excuse for there absence of communication though. Even the band is annoyed at it. I simple follow-up email would ease a lot of discomfort. I'm fine with waiting; just give me an update. 

word, I was more meaning the genesis for doing this Four Trees pressing, since it had already existed in the compilation.  Just curious if there was some specific instigating reason behind it!

4 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I’ll sell you mine