Buying a house; buying new speakers

Golden Ear Triton 3s. I was thinking something in the 2k range (used even better). I want a different sounds. Currently using Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s; previously used Boston Acoustics VR-3s. Been looking at the Tritons due to the ribbon tweeter (metal dome in VR-3s, soft dome in 1.5s), to mix it up a bit. Plus a bulky low end with powered subs seems really cool.

But I'm open to ideas. Thoughts?

15 hours ago, Tardcore said:

Do you know how much space you’ll have?

Martin Logan?  Magnepan?

I had considered ML/electrostatic type speakers... I do not think the room will be big enough, sadly.

3 hours ago, bjorn said:

aa71.jpg

Build these! You'll need lots of room though.

http://gr-research.com/ob-7.aspx

See previous comment, but these are interesting. Thanks!

1 hour ago, kannibal said:

I hear Wilson Audio is pretty good.

all or nothing.

https://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/wamm

There's a Wilson dealer across the street from me now. https://iconic.systems/gallery I'm seeing that stuff daily. Kills me, but they sell their old stuff on Audiogon too...

If you're at all interested in the DIY route, I would definitely email the guy at GR Research. He can make recommendations for your room, etc. The ones I posted have an open baffle section which requires space to sound good, but the N3 towers are closed and use a ribbon tweeter as well. I really wanted to build those but they were out of stock at the time. I built the A/V 3 towers instead and I don't see any reason to ever replace them, plus it was one of the most enjoyable projects I've ever taken on.

Edited by bjorn

@ajxdhave you had a good listen to anything with ribbon tweeters in? In my experience they can be a bit of an acquired taste and can sound very bright if done badly but if right I think you'll like them, their biggest plus for me is the midrange warmth they add along with the top end clarity and that allows the crossover for the bottom end to get more thought put into it. 

19 hours ago, ajxd said:

Also a contender I hadn't considered. Thanks!

There's a guy selling some MLs ESLs locally for $1200. Maybe they're stolen?

Haha maybe. It's probably more likely that the resale value isn't that high on those. I had some ML electrostats for a couple years and it took me a loooong time to sell them. I think it's just such a niche market. 

If you have a local dealer and can demo some Monitor Audio's I really can't reccomend it enough. Especially if you typically listen to rock. The only reason I went with the Venere 3.0's I bought over the Monitors is I listen to jazz roughly half the time and thought the Sonus Fabers were a little more well rounded, particularly in the mids.

On 23/04/2018 at 7:56 PM, ajxd said:

Oh Uncle A- if I wanted to listen to gear as old as you; I would ;)

And no, I haven't listened to ribbons for more than a quick demo in a shop. Thanks for making this point.

Cheeky..

Plenty of modern ribbons about in fact they seem to have had a bit of a fashion comeback in recent years, go have a good listen, you won't regret it.

• 4 weeks later...

They are incredible. I was really happy with the midrange sound, and the non-tinny highs. Not that I had issue with the SFs, but older speakers I did. Super well-rounded speaker. I demoed in a room similar to mine, but with lower end equipment. I was shocked how great they sounded right off the bat. I just demoed with Postal Service - Give Up tracks 1 and 2; Save the Day - Through Being cool tracks 1 and 2; and Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days tracks 1 and 2. Plus some funk the seller liked. The bass he had set up is almost ideally what I liked; but he had never used them for movies... so I'll be exploring that this weekend. I wanted big speakers to fill my house. I got em.