The National: Cherry Tree Membership w/ Exclusive Annual Vinyl

Thanks for finding / posting this

setlist is “meh”

does anyone else on here not dig IAETF at all? I feel like I’m in the minority, but that album blows and the final studio cut of Rylan was a swing and miss

Edited by hobbesthecat

7 minutes ago, hobbesthecat said:

Thanks for finding / posting this

setlist is “meh”

does anyone else on here not dig IAETF at all? I feel like I’m in the minority, but that album blows and the final studio cut of Rylan was a swing and miss

Hard disagree, but I think Rambo is in a similar boat with you.  But I think that’s about it.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Hard disagree, but I think Rambo is in a similar boat with you.  But I think that’s about it.

Maybe I’ll come around on the LP after listening to Vol 2

glad to hear people digging the setlist

i should try to be more positive during this crazy time!!!

There are moments that definitely overstay their welcome a bit, no doubt.  With all the guest vocals, part of me doesn’t exactly register it with the rest of their discography. I know it’s not at all a “side project” for them, or anything like that, but it’s tough to directly align it with something like Alligator or High Violet.  For me, anyway.

That being said, I’d probably rank it above the S/T, but nothing else.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

There are moments that definitely overstay their welcome a bit, no doubt.  With all the guest vocals, part of me doesn’t exactly register it with the rest of their discography. I know it’s not at all a “side project” for them, or anything like that, but it’s tough to directly align it with something like Alligator or High Violet.  For me, anyway.

man that 8 year run of Alligator to Boxer to High Violet to Trouble Will Find Me is just legendary

Sleep Well Beast is super underrated too

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I never thought I’d place S/T above anything, but here we are

2 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

If a summer tour happens, I really hope  they pull out some rarities. B-sides and outtakes need to be played more. Y’all Saint and Driver a Surprise Me need to come back. 

I’d be shocked if any summer tours occur with COVID

maybe a fall tour - they should bring back Songs from SSFDL

I still think the band that wrote and recorded Sleep Well Beast and IAETF is the best version of this band. SWB is my favorite overall National record, all nostalgia put aside and looking at how well written the songs are and how live and warm the band sounds (despite the music itself being colder), and IAETF is almost to that same level for me but the superfluous interludes knock it down a peg. If we’re talking nostalgia and most impact, Cherry Tree/Alligator/Boxer is my premium National period. Each subsequent release in that stretch took my breath away a little bit and re-defined what they were capable of. Self titled is their only meh album for me. 

Edited by Oblivions

Hope everyone’s staying safe!!!

wanted to give IAETF another chance, going in with a positive attitude.@Oblivionsdescribed the interludes the best, as superfluous - I would kindly describe them as obnoxious, but potato / Granny Smith apple-o

popped on the album at work, didn’t make it past Were Not In Kansas anymore / the lullaby song since I started to fall asleep at my desk

I think the album would have garnered more traction with me if the interludes were Matt’s brother Tom eating hotdogs while doing a spoken word rap into his cell phone microphone. The title for the interludes Uncle Beefer #1 and #2 respectively