The National: Cherry Tree Membership w/ Exclusive Annual Vinyl

I rearranged the tracklist and cut some stuff. I think it makes for a much tighter record. 

1. Quiet Light
2. Oblivions
3. You Had Your Soul With You
4. The Pull Of You
5. Hey Rosey
6. I Am Easy To Find
7. Not in Kansas
8. So Far So Fast
9. Hairpin Turns
10. Rylan
11. Light Years

I did enjoy this record, but I'm pretty positive they are my favorite band and probably have been for longer than any other band I've loved in my life, so I'm being a bit of a homer here. I guess this is a weaker album from them, but everything but s/t is an 'A' record (either A+, A or A-). So I guess this is A-?

Edited by timsimmons

To me, Sleep Well Beast is a colossal snoozer compared to their other records. System and Guilty Party are the only two stand outs, the rest all feels like the same song over and over. I'd give a nod to Turtleneck for being the most aggressive song but it doesn't land for me.  Day I Die and Walk It Back are pretty good too.

I like it, but it's their worst album.

I'm shocked at all the IAETF hate in here. The female vocalists add such a beautiful and unique layer to the sound they've built over many albums. The first 7 songs are among the best National songs of all time, and the titular track is in my top 3 (next to All The Wine and Slow Show) - the 2nd half is a bit more experimental and less tight but I really enjoy everything. I hope some of you National fans can come around to it. 

I didn't fully appreciate IAETF until I listened to it at home on vinyl. Now I spin it all the time. It's really grown on me. 

Also, I just received Cherry Tree Vol 2. 

It appears to be the full recording of this show: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2019/mission-ballroom-denver-co-3b9ca494.html

Spinning Vol 2 right now. Sounds incredible. It's criminal that we don't have more live National on vinyl.

Disk 2 has a slight visual warp but doesn't affect how it sounds thankfully. 

All the Wine and Day I Die (currently spinning) his voice is sounding a little shot though...

Edited by Kanye West

22 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Yeah, having finished this now, his voice is super off for the second half. No idea why they chose this outside of the fire setlist. Kinda a bummer since his voice is so integral to the band's sound. 

if this is true, after I take a listen, I may end up not renewing my membership - not worth the $50 yearly fees and honestly I don't go to concerts much anymore

rather put more money towards radiohead when / if they ever come back to northern CA

3 minutes ago, hobbesthecat said:

@lethalenforcer can you let us know your thoughts on Matt's vocal after you give it a spin?

I stole the pics from Reddit, my copy will be here tomorrow but I'll add my input too.

According to threads on there (and actual reviews from the show) his voice does indeed break down as it goes. The pressing itself is scoring good reviews, though.

1 minute ago, lethalenforcer said:

I stole the pics from Reddit, my copy will be here tomorrow but I'll add my input too.

According to threads on there (and actual reviews from the show) his voice does indeed break down as it goes. The pressing itself is scoring good reviews, though.

thanks!!!

why the f would they pick a show where the lead singer's vocals are strained...wtf