The National: Cherry Tree Membership w/ Exclusive Annual Vinyl

Man. I’m so fucking bummed. 

I’ve cleaned this 3 times. I don’t think it goes a minute w/o skipping. No marks. Cart is only 2 years old. Been playing records all day with no issues. 

kinda feel like I need to reach out to the club. 

I’ll try it on my other tables tomorrow. But I’m so bummed. Been looking forward to this. 

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

His voice goes out most shows. 

I've seen The National live 8 times. The performance is always incredible, and I never notice his voice going out. But every concert video I've watched or audio recording I've heard has been rough on the vocals. He seems to be one of those vocalists that can pull it off if you're there but sucks on recordings. 

2 hours ago, hobbesthecat said:

if this is true, after I take a listen, I may end up not renewing my membership - not worth the $50 yearly fees and honestly I don't go to concerts much anymore

rather put more money towards radiohead when / if they ever come back to northern CA

if you end up not wanting your copy I will buy it from you haha

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

Man. I’m so fucking bummed. 

I’ve cleaned this 3 times. I don’t think it goes a minute w/o skipping. No marks. Cart is only 2 years old. Been playing records all day with no issues. 

kinda feel like I need to reach out to the club. 

I’ll try it on my other tables tomorrow. But I’m so bummed. Been looking forward to this. 

Do at least a 14-30 second video recording on parts where the skips are definitely there and email the cherry tree club the video along with the request 

i did this last year w Vol 1 And they came through with a new copy

for the delay, net of COVID, I’m 100% making sure there are absolutely no skips. Also with non splatter vinyl this should really not be an issue

im sorry about this

this is why I didn’t buy the cherry tree version of HV 10th anniversary 

Edited by hobbesthecat

Despite their scary disclaimers about not replacing lightly damaged or lost items,  they seem to be good about replacing damaged copies. They sent me a replacement for my Vol 1, which had a big scratch across the first track of side A that ticked every spin. Just sent them an email with a photo of the scratch and a 10-15 second video of the ticking.

ranking albums by the national is unique because everyone has different answers. one man’s list can be in opposite order of another man’s. and one can even have different favorite at different times, never mind having a set 1 through 8. i guess it’s bcos each resonates with the man in different ways. 

it’s different from ranking, say radiohead albums, most of which are excellent (just like the national) but with radiohead there’s a general consensus that one of okc/in rainbows/kid a is their best. with the national there is a lot more room for debate, everyone album is potentially someone’s favorite

i never bother ranking them myself cos i don’t think i’ll be able to. i’m not even sure i have a favorite. i just enjoy them. but it’s interesting seeing everyone’s choices. seeing someone putting the likes of s/t or ssfdl makes me ask myself, did i not give these two albums enough time? 

Edited by wuhanclan

As someone who has been going to shows in Denver for the past 10 years a lot of singers have trouble with the high altitude and they have trouble with their voice sometimes, so if the recording is from a Denver show that's probably why his voice sounds rough, I wouldn't know though because I didn't sign up for this record and can't listen to it, but thought I would share my opinion on the topic because i am bored. Also I missed that show and regret it 

39 minutes ago, CatsNJazz said:

As someone who has been going to shows in Denver for the past 10 years a lot of singers have trouble with the high altitude and they have trouble with their voice sometimes, so if the recording is from a Denver show that's probably why his voice sounds rough, I wouldn't know though because I didn't sign up for this record and can't listen to it, but thought I would share my opinion on the topic because i am bored. Also I missed that show and regret it 

This makes sense

still a head scratcher. Curious If the shows around this one had the same issue with Matt’s voice

I just pulled some plain sleeves from my stash and put the records in them. They fit really well. 

also, realigned my cart and have the records 2 more cleans. Still some minor pops, but no more skips. I’ll take it. 

great show. Matt’s voice goes, but I’ve seen worse from him (N2 of civic opera house) 

5 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

Just got my Vol. 2. Found it odd that it's a slipcase-type box, sturdy and well-done, but the records are just housed in individual paper sleeves. Seems to leave quite a bit of room for them to move around.

i just left the wristband in there since i wasn’t going to wear it and it perfectly keeps everything in place