DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

It bugs me so much how people won't let black metal evolve. Someone called Wolves in the Throne Room "Gentrification Metal" and that really pissed me off as someone who deals with actual Genteification around me. And of course Deafheaven gets shitted on all the time by the "trve kvlt" fuckheads. Anyways, sorry I'm ranting, I'm just so sick of metalheads getting their panties in a twist about metal evolving. 

Anyways, the song is nice.

2 minutes ago, Reshiram454 said:

It bugs me so much how people won't let black metal evolve. Someone called Wolves in the Throne Room "Gentrification Metal" and that really pissed me off as someone who deals with actual Genteification around me. And of course Deafheaven gets shitted on all the time by the "trve kvlt" fuckheads. Anyways, sorry I'm ranting, I'm just so sick of metalheads getting their panties in a twist about metal evolving. 

Anyways, the song is nice.

Metalheads are a funny joke to most of us I wouldn't give much thought to anything they have to say.

5 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Metalheads are a funny joke to most of us I wouldn't give much thought to anything they have to say.

100% but as someone who was really into the community at one point it still bugs me, which is kinda why I left, the ignorance was too much. I love the music, but can't stand about 75% of the fans.

So far I'm with all of you on most of this.

• Song is great even though I don't think it'll beat "Roads To Judah" for me because nothing so far has, thats more personal preference than criticism.
  • The band do get a lot of unsolicited hate because the overly hyperbolic media reception of sunbather enraged the more fragile members of the black metal community who can't have their subgenre rise in popularity without feeling like they are going extinct.
  • Artwork not really to my taste or fitting with the music but whatever.
  • Anxious about pre-ordering after the New Bermuda/Anti debacle. I'll likely go for an instore copy just to save the heartache, not fussed about colours.

17 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

10+ minute songs and indecipherable shrieking always reminds me of the other mainstream music I hear on the radio. These guys are gonna blow up! Watch out metalheads, you’ll be rubbing elbows with teenage girls in no time!

Best post that can be posted in this thread at this point in time.

I dunno. I have their complete discography and have seen them a couple times, and for the life of me can't tell you what they're "about". They sound nice and they're a fun show, but I have no idea what ethos they carry that drives them to make this style of music. This makes them distinctly different to me wrt other bands I listen to in the atmo-black/gaze/whatever genre.

Edited by Freki
grammar

song rips, that weird solo in the middle sounds like an 80s anime intro at first but then proceeds to weirdly melt in with the rest - I dig it! Production wise it sounds like New Bermuda with some refinements, which is something I like as well. Cover artwork is awesome.

PO wise I'm not sure what I'm going to do, it will depend on the announcements made and how much room for interpretation there will be regarding the variants. The EU/"standard" variants/packaging for New Bermuda were a total disappointment compared to the nice sturdy treatment the US edition got. Here's to hoping that Anti- and Kingsroad have learned from that.

3 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Bosse-de-Nage >>>> Deafheaven but Deafheaven still rips. 

You know I’m hyped for both this year.  But that’s for another thread.

4 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

song rips, that weird solo in the middle sounds like an 80s anime intro at first but then proceeds to weirdly melt in with the rest - I dig it! Production wise it sounds like New Bermuda with some refinements, which is something I like as well. Cover artwork is awesome.

PO wise I'm not sure what I'm going to do, it will depend on the announcements made and how much room for interpretation there will be regarding the variants. The EU/"standard" variants/packaging for New Bermuda were a total disappointment compared to the nice sturdy treatment the US edition got. Here's to hoping that Anti- and Kingsroad have learned from that.

Watch them just do solid opaque colors that match the lettering up top – 1,000 of each.

Just now, Derek™ said:

Watch them just do solid opaque colors that match the lettering up top – 1,000 of each.

haha, I'm totally seeing that one coming! Then, on the other hand, Converge did the same thing and everyone seemed to like it for a reason (I found it rather boring to be honest). At the moment I feel like some cool extra for the cover like the embossing for New Bermuda would even be more appreciated together with simple, heavy black vinyl. Would still be a good match.

2 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

haha, I'm totally seeing that one coming! Then, on the other hand, Converge did the same thing and everyone seemed to like it for a reason (I found it rather boring to be honest). At the moment I feel like some cool extra for the cover like the embossing for New Bermuda would even be more appreciated together with simple, heavy black vinyl. Would still be a good match.

Converge was cool because we had no idea the cover was going to be reflective, when the pre-orders went up.  At least for me.  Depending on how you angled, technically every variant of that first press could be found or “match” the cover art, and I though that was an interesting concept.  New to me, anyway.

Also.

12 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

that weird solo in the middle sounds like an 80s anime intro at first

Rule nothing out.

F3249_FF5_2_B9_C_44_B4_9413_C9_D16034572

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

That video is so fucking bad and out of place though... jesus. It almost comes across as a parody.

Isn't everything they do visually bordering on parody? Like, on purpose?

(Note: been listening to them since the demo and have enjoyed all their releases)

Edited by Bladewillisisdead