DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

Just now, thetrackt said:

Right on. Yeah  The first thing I did was put on New Bermuda and sunbather to see  if I was imagining things. The production is def less crisp on Honeycomb... but it may just be more ‘ethereal’ or something. I’ll have to see when the whole thing drops. I don’t dislike it, but it sounds  uneven to me. Studio fuckery most likely. 

Are you also comparing all of those on Spotify, by chance?  Or listening to NB on vinyl, Honeycomb through a Youtube stream, etc.?  That could play a factor.  I'm intentionally trying to pace myself with Honeycomb so I haven't given it a proper loud play in the car, or anything like that.  Also haven't tried it out on Spotify but now you've got me curious.  I would definitely be willing to wait for the official release before assuming one thing or another, though.  As far as I know, Shirley is back at the helm with the production, so I can't imagine him taking a huge stylistic departure.

51 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Are you also comparing all of those on Spotify, by chance?  Or listening to NB on vinyl, Honeycomb through a Youtube stream, etc.?  That could play a factor.  I'm intentionally trying to pace myself with Honeycomb so I haven't given it a proper loud play in the car, or anything like that.  Also haven't tried it out on Spotify but now you've got me curious.  I would definitely be willing to wait for the official release before assuming one thing or another, though.  As far as I know, Shirley is back at the helm with the production, so I can't imagine him taking a huge stylistic departure.

Yeah, the former - listening to past records on vinyl and Honeycomb on Apple Music and Spotify. Definitely not an apples to apples comparison but the point stands: it sounds decidedly flatter than all of them, IMO. It’s not like Deafheaven are short of cash to properly record. In that way I’m thinking this is a stylistic recording choice. Maybe they wanted to try something different or maybe we’re hearing an early unmastered bit of the record? Who knows, still amped for rest of it, though. 

On 4/20/2018 at 4:06 PM, KingTacoMunster said:

its hard to gauge outcomes in live videos tho...so I was wondering from personal experience. also don't know if I could take watching George for the whole show...

Drab Majesty will chill and or weird you out enough to deal with it haha I really enjoyed them live on their tour with Envy. It felt like a perfect balance. 

On 4/17/2018 at 2:43 PM, Derek™ said:

This isn’t a Deafheaven thread until Gumbo comes in here and posts about how the single moved him to tears but then clarifies that he’s not gay or anything.

Song is great.  That outro needs to be like 3-4 minutes longer though.  I could live inside that groove forever.

Also, I'm too emotionally numb to cry right now.  Girls are stupid.  I honestly don't even want to buy records anymore.  ::shrug:: 

4 hours ago, poweredbytrust said:

(EU?) Indie variant confirmed:

LP1 on clear and LP2 on solid yellow. Unknown quantities as of now. The combination sounds interesting and it's the only one so far with differing colors between the two discs.

Post a link and I'll update the OP. Tried to search for it and can't find it. 

Edited by Kanellos

Not sure about everyone else but I actually really like the green/black eu variant. I would have went with the DW clear had it still been in stock, however I am a bit late here. The green is my favorite anyways so even if I had to pay a bit extra to have it shipped from Europe I’m still excited :D 

Also the green/black is labeled as 180g, but I didn’t see any of the other colors listed as such. Wondering if it’s a typo, if all colored variants are 180g, or if just that one will be along with the black?

6 hours ago, Jeffalskdfj said:

Not sure about everyone else but I actually really like the green/black eu variant. I would have went with the DW clear had it still been in stock, however I am a bit late here. The green is my favorite anyways so even if I had to pay a bit extra to have it shipped from Europe I’m still excited :D 

Also the green/black is labeled as 180g, but I didn’t see any of the other colors listed as such. Wondering if it’s a typo, if all colored variants are 180g, or if just that one will be along with the black?

If they are indeed 180g, I'd probably be down to go in with you on that and maybe help mitigate the shipping costs.  Is there a way we can confirm this?

6 hours ago, Jeffalskdfj said:

why are people so hung up on this? 180g is the stupidest shit ever 

1 minute ago, ethereal said:

why are people so hung up on this? 180g is the stupidest shit ever 

While not a rule, 180g tends to sound better in my experience.  Plus, I like the heavier vinyl.  It might be a psychological thing, like how car companies made it so that doors make a more robust sound to make you feel like it's sturdy. 

2 minutes ago, dethrock said:

WUT

Yeah you didn't know about this?  Look it up.  The gist of the story is that companies started making quieter car door latches, and people were like "what?  How do I know if it's shut?"  So, they purposefully make it so that it makes the noise.  It also is about the perceived quality.  They're manipulating you, bro ;)

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/03c9/e6b33a6e4dd095a48485bd0246104c50d726.pdf

36 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

While not a rule, 180g tends to sound better in my experience.  Plus, I like the heavier vinyl.  It might be a psychological thing, like how car companies made it so that doors make a more robust sound to make you feel like it's sturdy. 

That's exactly what it is.