DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

35 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

That's exactly what it is. 

I mean, there is some physics to back it up though.  The added mass serves to reduce warping and transmission of vibrations. 

But it speaks to the color thing too because some of my favorite sounding records and quietest are clear.  And some of my worst-sounding are black.  I think the pressing plant has something to do with that, although I have no idea.  It's an utter mystery to me why some records come absolutely dead silent, with nary a transient static blip, and other records sound like you're listening to the radio in between channels. 

So, I'm running some numbers on the EU clear/green 180g Kings Road variant.  Basically for any amount of records over 2, the shipping is 18.90eu.  So, for 4 records for instance, the total is 99.24eu.  For a single record, it costs 34.98eu because shipping for 1 record is 14.98eu.  We don't pay the VAT tax apparently since we're in the USA. 

If we get a bunch of people in on this, we can save a ton of money if you guys want this variant.  I'm game. 

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

No there aren't that is bullshit you made up

Nope, it's basic physics.  The heavier weight helps make the record and record player become a more stable unit, much the same way that people use weights and pucks to reduce vibration.  I mean, you can probably argue the perceivability but the math holds.  Also, much like cortical bone, the thickness/mass helps prevent mechanical strain (bending).  Granted this is all moot if the pressing itself is shitty. 

2 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Nope, it's basic physics.  The heavier weight helps make the record and record player become a more stable unit, much the same way that people use weights and pucks to reduce vibration.  I mean, you can probably argue the perceivability but the math holds.  Also, much like cortical bone, the thickness/mass helps prevent mechanical strain (bending).  Granted this is all moot if the pressing itself is shitty. 

Alright show me the math then. Don't say the math checks out and not show me your work.

21 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Alright show me the math then. Don't say the math checks out and not show me your work.

180-140 = +40grams of platter mass.  I know you're trolling, but this link explains the reasoning behind it rather well, I feel.  https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/record-clamps-and-weights/

14 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

180-140 = +40grams of platter mass.  I know you're trolling, but this link explains the reasoning behind it rather well, I feel.  https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/record-clamps-and-weights/

I'm not trolling. At all. There's nothing in that link about record weight and you won't ever find proof because there isn't any. Because it's bullshit.

The reason black records have better vibration dampening is the carbon that is mixed in. The carbon is what makes it black. That is the only factor that affects it. In fact, a record clamp or weight will have a harder time working on heavier records that are even slightly warped. And they do warp, 180 isn't impervious to it.

Edited by Sunshine

16 minutes ago, ethereal said:

180g nonsense aside, I would be down for a group buy on the green if it came out to a decent price per person.

Yeah, I mean if its just you and me that splits the shipping down to 9.30eur each.  If we can get more people, then it drops even more.  This variant is limited to 500 it says, so I don't imagine we have that much time. 

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So, for 4 records for instance, the total is 99.24eu.  

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah, I mean if its just you and me that splits the shipping down to 9.30eur each.  If we can get more people, then it drops even more.  This variant is limited to 500 it says, so I don't imagine we have that much time. 

with 4 records it would work out to about ~$30 shipped per person which I would be cool with.

i'm sure we could wrangle a few others to complete the 4 copies (or possibly more)

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

If they are indeed 180g, I'd probably be down to go in with you on that and maybe help mitigate the shipping costs.  Is there a way we can confirm this?

I’ll send an email asking and see if they get back to me. Then we can go from there if you’d like!

7 hours ago, ethereal said:

why are people so hung up on this? 180g is the stupidest shit ever 

Did I seem hung up on it? I was just curious since no other listings besides the black and the green specified it. Why are you so hung up on it?

15 hours ago, Jeffalskdfj said:

Also I already placed my order..so I’m not sure if I’d be able to group my shipping with others or not.

You can cancel.  I also have another dude who is also in from my Facebook group.  This gives us 5 people, and it's still only 18.90eu for shipping.  Win.  23.86eu per person from over there, plus $3.50 or whatever for media mail shipping.  Google gives the 23.86 a USD valuation of 28.58, but Paypal sometimes fucks with the rate so that might be a little more when you actually go to pay. 

@ethereal  Would you be able to handle this one?  I believe I am maxed out on mailers now, due to my Spurv and Silent Whale group-buys at the moment. 

We can also maybe take this to a different thread?  I don't want to hijack this if it'll piss people off. 

Also, the shipping seems near-unlimited at the 18.90 rate..... so if there are other people, the more we get, the more we save! 

EDIT:  I have 2 buddies from Facebook in on this, so this brings us to 6 people total, once @Jeffalskdfj can get his copy cancelled.  That puts us at 23.24euro each for the record from over there.  Basically each person who joins up now, the price drops a full Euro, so come on people!

Also, I will be leaving on Tuesday morning for Dunk! Festival in Belgium, so my communication will be intermittent over there.  I'm wondering if we shouldn't wrap this up beforehand?  The variant is limited, and I don't want us to miss it. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

I actually think I’m just going to stick with the order I have placed. It just seems like a a bit much to go through to save ~$10. It appears there’s enough interest that it shouldn’t increase the shipping rate. If that is the case however then I could go ahead and cancel my order and join in too. I don’t want to be the reason the price increases for everyone else. Thanks anyways! Next time I see an EU release/variant I’m interested in I’ll be sure to check if anyone wants to split shipping before placing the order, lol.

22 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

You can cancel.  I also have another dude who is also in from my Facebook group.  This gives us 5 people, and it's still only 18.90eu for shipping.  Win.  23.86eu per person from over there, plus $3.50 or whatever for media mail shipping.  Google gives the 23.86 a USD valuation of 28.58, but Paypal sometimes fucks with the rate so that might be a little more when you actually go to pay. 

@ethereal  Would you be able to handle this one?  I believe I am maxed out on mailers now, due to my Spurv and Silent Whale group-buys at the moment. 

those interested, please shoot me a pm.

cutoff will be 4pm PST 5/8/18

7 hours ago, erikness said:

Any word on this EU group buy?

It's happening!  Send a PM to Ethereal, he's going to run point on this one for me. 

3 hours ago, Jeffalskdfj said:

I actually think I’m just going to stick with the order I have placed. It just seems like a a bit much to go through to save ~$10. It appears there’s enough interest that it shouldn’t increase the shipping rate. If that is the case however then I could go ahead and cancel my order and join in too. I don’t want to be the reason the price increases for everyone else. Thanks anyways! Next time I see an EU release/variant I’m interested in I’ll be sure to check if anyone wants to split shipping before placing the order, lol.

So, the shipping rate is a flat 18.90eu for any amount.  It just becomes a matter of whether that gets divided by 5 people, or 6 people if you join.  To me, it's always worth it to save some money.  But I'm also in college so anything I can do to save a few bucks is worth it for me.