DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

I posted this on another board and am copying it verbatim here (edit: I don't know what happened with the formatting. Weird):

"Canary Yellow" is indeed an excellent track, and make no mistake-I am extremely hyped for this record (limited vinyl pre-order to boot). 

BUT, this upcoming album is basically the last time this band can sound like this before they get real same-y real fast. They are going to need to do *something* on the album after this one to mix it up a bit.

I mean, both available tracks from OCHL basically indicate that this is going to be New Bermuda Part 2. That's all well and good, as that was a top shelf album, even if it was a cleaned-up distillation of Sunbather. But if LP5 turns out to be more of the same, then the formula is going to quickly lose luster. 

I don't know what kind of change ups would suit this band going forward, but I personally would start with dirty-ing up the guitar production. To my ears, the ultra clear and articulate guitar mixes on both New Bermuda and (by all indicators) OCHL don't really fit either the post-BM or shoegaze-y ambiances they are going for. The messy, smeary, more nebulous guitar mixing on Sunbather very much gets those aesthetics across in a better fashion. I'm not saying that they should simply re-write Sunbather, but that album's sonic aesthetics go a long way with this band's writing style.

Further, Clarke needs to *badly* vary up his lead vocal stylings, as he is clearly the weakest link in the band by far (assumption being that OCHL has the same one dimensional lead vocal performance the other three albums had). I don't know if that translates specifically to clean singing (an overdone trope in this genre), but it certainly could mean experiments with death metal growling, punk like shouting/yelling, or more intense spoken work sections (ala Envy). 

Again, not to shit all over this album as I am looking very forward to hearing the final full record, and both "singles" (quotations used because the idea that this band-who's songs are lengthy on average with non-traditional linear song structuring and no real choruses to speak of-is commercially motivated is a laughable one) thus far have been superb.

Edited by DASiano

25 minutes ago, DASiano said:

I posted this on another board and am copying it verbatim here (edit: I don't know what happened with the formatting. Weird):

"Canary Yellow" is indeed an excellent track, and make no mistake-I am extremely hyped for this record (limited vinyl pre-order to boot). 

BUT, this upcoming album is basically the last time this band can sound like this before they get real same-y real fast. They are going to need to do *something* on the album after this one to mix it up a bit.

I mean, both available tracks from OCHL basically indicate that this is going to be New Bermuda Part 2. That's all well and good, as that was a top shelf album, even if it was a cleaned-up distillation of Sunbather. But if LP5 turns out to be more of the same, then the formula is going to quickly lose luster. 

I don't know what kind of change ups would suit this band going forward, but I personally would start with dirty-ing up the guitar production. To my ears, the ultra clear and articulate guitar mixes on both New Bermuda and (by all indicators) OCHL don't really fit either the post-BM or shoegaze-y ambiances they are going for. The messy, smeary, more nebulous guitar mixing on Sunbather very much gets those aesthetics across in a better fashion. I'm not saying that they should simply re-write Sunbather, but that album's sonic aesthetics go a long way with this band's writing style.

Further, Clarke needs to *badly* vary up his lead vocal stylings, as he is clearly the weakest link in the band by far (assumption being that OCHL has the same one dimensional lead vocal performance the other three albums had). I don't know if that translates specifically to clean singing (an overdone trope in this genre), but it certainly could mean experiments with death metal growling, punk like shouting/yelling, or more intense spoken work sections (ala Envy). 

Again, not to shit all over this album as I am looking very forward to hearing the final full record, and both "singles" (quotations used because the idea that this band-who's songs are lengthy on average with non-traditional linear song structuring and no real choruses to speak of-is commercially motivated is a laughable one) thus far have been superb.

Well bud you better go and tell them, I think they'll appreciate the insight.

31 minutes ago, DASiano said:

Did you listen to this song? There is very clearly a two minute outro of clean singing. I'm pretty sure that's a first for Deafheaven. And I'm hearing George screaming a lot more clearly on this track. I can almost make out the words, unlike Sunbather where his black metal growls are completely indecipherable. I think this album will differ greatly from the last 3 in full context

31 minutes ago, CatsNJazz said:

Did you listen to this song? There is very clearly a two minute outro of clean singing. I'm pretty sure that's a first for Deafheaven. And I'm hearing George screaming a lot more clearly on this track. I can almost make out the words, unlike Sunbather where his black metal growls are completely indecipherable. I think this album will differ greatly from the last 3 in full context

I listened to every single second of this song and very much enjoyed every single second of this song. The clean vocals here are very much a background texture-my operative words were "lead vocals".  I was pretty clear in both regards. 

Even with the new element, "Canary Yellow" is by and large a by the numbers Deafheaven song. "Honeycomb" even more so. 

Deafheaven doing by the numbers Deafheaven songs is still better than a lot of other bands. All I'm saying is that for LP5 going forward, I'd personally like to see more diversification from them. There's no need for them to get into AC/DC like territory and simply slightly tweak the standard formula for each new album. To me, that gets old fast. And if they do in fact go down that road in the future, all that'll mean is that I'll become a much more passive listener and hitch my wagon to someone else. Easy. 

Yeah, honestly, fuck this band.  I don’t really understand how you guys can keep listening to the same album time and time again.  Deafheaven need to take one of these approaches to keep things fresh and win more of their fanbase back.

Dirt Roads to Juder

George and the boys go full twang.  No less than three banjo solos from Kerry will be acceptable.  Truly a hootin’ and hollerin’ output from the band.  Bonus points if Dan incorporates some jug blowing into the percussion.  No clear or articulate guitars allowed.

Sunbizkit

The most natural progression for the band, I think.  George needs to get away from the growls and just rap with loose rhyme schemes while Kerry pumps out some sick nu metal chugs in the background.  Really just getting away from that clear, articulate guitar sound, you know?  I think this has a lot of potential and could really rebrand the group.

New Bromuda

Dude, fuck articulate guitars, bro.  This shit is all about sick drops that will put Deafheaven on stage with the illest DJs you’ve ever seen.  The beauty here is that the band can just pre-record their instruments and play them back in live settings with appropriate scratch effects.  Think Dream House (House Edition).  George could really mix up the vocals and go full autotune too.  Tell me it wouldn’t work.

18 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, honestly, fuck this band.  I don’t really understand how you guys can keep listening to the same album time and time again.  Deafheaven need to take one of these approaches to keep things fresh and win more of their fanbase back.

Dirt Roads to Juder

George and the boys go full twang.  No less than three banjo solos from Kerry will be acceptable.  Truly a hootin’ and hollerin’ output from the band.  Bonus points if Dan incorporates some jug blowing into the percussion.  No clear or articulate guitars allowed.

Sunbizkit

The most natural progression for the band, I think.  George needs to get away from the growls and just rap with loose rhyme schemes while Kerry pumps out some sick nu metal chugs in the background.  Really just getting away from that clear, articulate guitar sound, you know?  I think this has a lot of potential and could really rebrand the group.

New Bromuda

Dude, fuck articulate guitars, bro.  This shit is all about sick drops that will put Deafheaven on stage with the illest DJs you’ve ever seen.  The beauty here is that the band can just pre-record their instruments and play them back in live settings with appropriate scratch effects.  Think Dream House (House Edition).  George could really mix up the vocals and go full autotune too.  Tell me it wouldn’t work.

fucking lol'd. the expectations and flat out "demands" that this band revolutionize their sound every album are too damn funny.

Bands tend to have a signature-ish sound that's recognizable across albums. Having listened to the 3 albums + 2 singles all in the last few days, the growth and experimentation is pretty evident through the years here. Pretty unclear on why when it comes to Deafheaven it's not okay that the vocalist sounds similar across albums... like what the fuck lol he needs to do clean vocals/spoken word/punk shouting on the next record or else the band isn't innovative? This shit's too much hahaha.

Also I was going to leave it at this but I just re-read the Dasiano post and I'm still lolling.

"Band needs to be totally different but sound exactly the same as Sunbather bcuz i like that one more than NB and instead of death metal vocals (which cmon it all sounds the exact same, like we get it bro lol) he should be singing clean vocals. basically just sing like the guy from MBV and have the band do shoegaze music like Sunbather and this shit will be GOLDEN!!!!!"

Edited by rooks

On 6/13/2018 at 9:25 AM, DASiano said:

Come back and defend this pile of shit! You don't just drop a load like this and not stick around to blindly defend it to the bitter end.

18 minutes ago, rooks said:

Come back and defend this pile of shit! You don't just drop a load like this and not stick around to blindly defend it to the bitter end.

C'mon, rooks. He just wants them to do something new and innovative but at the same time do EXACTLY what they did on sunbather.

10 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

C'mon, rooks. He just wants them to do something new and innovative but at the same time do EXACTLY what they did on sunbather.

Really, I think what he (and everyone else) means when they bring this up is that they just want new songs from that era and as if they were recorded in the same session.  That way it IS new material, but sounds the same as the old stuff, but isn't the old stuff. 

I think the band is progressing fine, although I understand what he's saying; I think he's just missing the finer nuances.  I'll concede the dry, bland lead tone someone else mentioned in Canary Yellow could be done better, but that is likely a conscious decision...  removing all reverb and effects from the solo to be as anti-Sunbather as possible.  Who knows though. 

I do agree that I don't like the squeaky clean sterile metal production New Bermuda had.  It sounds like every other record, by and large.  Sunbather's engineering at least gives it a unique, identifiable sound.  I love that.  I think this bridges that gap a little bit. 

Im probably in the minority l, butI like New Bermuda more than Sunbather, and I'll probably like this more than those two. I enjoy the bright tones of Honeycomb and Canary Yellow and I'm excited to hear how the rest of the album compares to those tracks

I think the evolution in their sounds is pretty evident...new bermuda is very different from sunbather, which was different from roads to judah.  

In Sunbather the post rock, black metal and shoegaze elements are totally blended together, in New bermuda the heavy elements of their sound  are way heavier, and the soft parts softer...they pushed everything to the extremes.

From the first 2 tracks off the new record I feel like they are further stretching their sound, it's becoming something different, rawer, moodier...I admit i couldn't be more excited for what's coming next.

9 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Really, I think what he (and everyone else) means when they bring this up is that they just want new songs from that era and as if they were recorded in the same session.  That way it IS new material, but sounds the same as the old stuff, but isn't the old stuff. 

I think the band is progressing fine, although I understand what he's saying; I think he's just missing the finer nuances.  I'll concede the dry, bland lead tone someone else mentioned in Canary Yellow could be done better, but that is likely a conscious decision...  removing all reverb and effects from the solo to be as anti-Sunbather as possible.  Who knows though. 

I do agree that I don't like the squeaky clean sterile metal production New Bermuda had.  It sounds like every other record, by and large.  Sunbather's engineering at least gives it a unique, identifiable sound.  I love that.  I think this bridges that gap a little bit. 

Nah, dude. TL;DR of that guy's post: I don't want them to sound same-y, but I don't like the changes they've made to stop that from happening, and I wish they'd put out another album that sounds the same as Sunbather.

It's hard to take someone serious when they say one thing, and then in the same breath say the opposite.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

@erikness

@MayCauseDeath

Guys please check your PMs, I don't want you to miss out.  Everyone's payments have cleared, but I haven't heard back from you guys.  It's fine either way, I just don't want to put the order through and then you guys finally get back to me haha.  I know we're all busy and that's fine, I just always have people come out after we do the buys saying they wish they got in, so I just want to make sure everyone who wants it is included.  If you're out, that's totally cool!  Just let me know :)

• 2 weeks later...

Totally, sounds douchey but I like the gatefold because the records don’t get all scratched up when you put them back in. Plus the art and all that stuff being big just makes the thing more complete. 

I wonder if the color variants are gatefold, too? Also I wonder why Anti doesn’t tell you that shit.  I also wonder why the colored ones aren’t 180g?

pumped on this one. 

Edited by thetrackt

21 minutes ago, thetrackt said:

Totally, sounds douchey but I like the gatefold because the records don’t get all scratched up when you put them back in. Plus the art and all that stuff being big just makes the thing more complete. 

I wonder if the color variants are gatefold, too? Also I wonder why Anti doesn’t tell you that shit.  I also wonder why the colored ones aren’t 180g?

pumped on this one. 

The KRM Europe colored variant is 180gram.  And it is gatefold.  You want to join our group buy?  I'm putting the order in tomorrow.  $32.50 to your door!