DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

8 hours ago, thetrackt said:

Totally, sounds douchey but I like the gatefold because the records don’t get all scratched up when you put them back in. Plus the art and all that stuff being big just makes the thing more complete. 

I wonder if the color variants are gatefold, too? Also I wonder why Anti doesn’t tell you that shit.  I also wonder why the colored ones aren’t 180g?

pumped on this one. 

What a confusing post. I actually started laughing as I read because I got to the end without reading a thought that wasn't a complete headscratcher, so thanks.

First I wondered why it was douchey to like gatefolds but before I got to the end of that sentence you totally scrub that question from anyone's mind. How does a one pocket jacket scratch records but not a gatefold?  Seriously interested. Then, the art is big which makes it more complete. Huh? New Bermuda just has lyrics and no back panel so that's just as confusing. Then you ask a question that you literally replied to with "totally". Did you forget? I'm glad you're pumped though. Hopefully some clarification can be provided here haha.

after one listen I can say that it is better than expected. "Near" strikes all the right chords for me with its atmosphere, even though nothing much is happening throughout the song. "Night People" however is probably the most unnecessary and out of place song they've released thus far - in my opinion (before the keyboard warriors head out again) it just doesn't go with either the album feel nor the sound nor the flow. It might change with multiple listens, though, it's not going to keep me from listening again anyway.

23 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

"Night People" however is probably the most unnecessary and out of place song they've released thus far - in my opinion (before the keyboard warriors head out again) it just doesn't go with either the album feel nor the sound nor the flow.

onJoLJi.png

I want a good, clean fight, boys.

Oh this is fucking good.  The opening track is something I've been waiting for them to write forever, a nearly full clean song (instrumentally).  The piano is gorgeous.  Love the vocal samples too, it reminds me so much of the sample used on "Gamemaster" by Paul Oakenfold/Lost Tribe (90's trance which I'm sure you guys will all hate!). 

Deafheaven is all grown up now.  I love it.  This is wonderful.  I hope they bring "You Without End" to the stage. 

Night People is good but it's a potatoes track to the Honecomb/Canary Yellow/Glint/Worthless Animal beef of the album. I missed the shorter tracks on New Bermuda and these are better done than the ones on Sunbather. Can't wait to sit and spin with the lyrics and non-scratch gatefold.

1 hour ago, 2notepockets said:

liked this band forever, this is the least interesting thing they have released in my opinion... glad i didn't pre-order... hopefully I like the next one more.

First shit-in-the-cereal type post, finally.

Oh well, can't please them all. The truth is this record is not a huge departure for Deafheaven.

It's prettier and more ethereal but it still sticks to the same shit they've been doing for a while with a less aggressive tone. 

I can see how someone who loved New Bermuda or Roads to Judah may be turned off but the underbelly of the band is still the same.

1 hour ago, thetrackt said:

First shit-in-the-cereal type post, finally.

Oh well, can't please them all. The truth is this record is not a huge departure for Deafheaven.

It's prettier and more ethereal but it still sticks to the same shit they've been doing for a while with a less aggressive tone. 

I can see how someone who loved New Bermuda or Roads to Judah may be turned off but the underbelly of the band is still the same.

Yeah, this.  This album is the pretty, happy, we're grown up and life is good Deafheaven.  All that old, angry stuff came from struggle and pain.  They're in a good place, and it comes through in the music.  Personally, I'd rather them make happy records like this than New Bermuda which you could tell was rushed and came from a less creatively healthy place.  But the black metal will always be there underneath, so maybe it will grow on the people who live for tracks like Violet and Vertigo.

I never thought I'd ever feel this way, but this album might top Sunbather for me.  Inconceivable.