DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

6 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

liked this band forever, this is the least interesting thing they have released in my opinion... glad i didn't pre-order... hopefully I like the next one more.

I concur. 

It’s definitely a “nicer sounding” album, and a logical step forward for the band. But I don’t really dig it. I love he aggressive, intense stuff from sunbather and new Bermuda, this seemed too boring to me on first listen. Still like his vocal, but the music wasn’t doing it too much for me. Definitely did not like the opening track, honeycomb is rad, but the rest is just meh to me 

13 minutes ago, hxcoliver said:

I concur. 

It’s definitely a “nicer sounding” album, and a logical step forward for the band. But I don’t really dig it. I love he aggressive, intense stuff from sunbather and new Bermuda, this seemed too boring to me on first listen. Still like his vocal, but the music wasn’t doing it too much for me. Definitely did not like the opening track, honeycomb is rad, but the rest is just meh to me 

You guys do realize that this is basically Sunbather 2.0, right?  Just instead of slow strums, tablesaws, and faux drug deal dialogue as interludes, we’re getting spoken poetry over Queen guitars, Slowdive worship, and a synthy Chelsea Wolfe / George duet.  Barring opinions, man..., I don’t see how you could enjoy Sunbather but find OCHL’s main tracks to be “meh”.

basically because of the points you mentioned? Or did I miss the joke :wacko:

edit: not to say that any of the elements would be bad in their own regard, that would indeed be down to individual taste. But I find the difference to Sunbather to be quite noticeable, and you pretty much gave a list of reasons why that is the case.

Edited by poweredbytrust

9 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

basically because of the points you mentioned? Or did I miss the joke :wacko:

edit: not to say that any of the elements would be bad in their own regard, that would indeed be down to individual taste. But I find the difference to Sunbather to be quite noticeable, and you pretty much gave a list of reasons why that is the case.

Not a “joke”, but you did miss the parts of the post where I referred to the interludes and drew comparisons between the main tracks, specifically.  I have no question for you if you were to say that you simply don’t “vibe” with the album as much, thematically, because of those interludes.  But to praise Honeycomb (which is largely by-the-numbers Deafheaven) and say the remaining main tracks are a far cry from Sunbather?  I don’t get it.

Edited by Derek™

well, even the NPR article from the stream says that Honeycomb is "the album's most ferocious bit of black metal." I have similar feelings about the song, and to me it's the closest they get to the Sunbather sound (even though, it still sounds more like New Bermuda in my book). It might have something to do with the songwriting approach. Like I mentioned back when "Canary Yellow" dropped as a single, a lot of it seems gimmicky and not flowing together very well - which is something that they absolutely mastered on Sunbather for instance. Yes, there are still blast beats, there are still similar vocal styles (anyway I do appreciate the clean singing that is introduced!), but how it all comes together is less akin to Sunbather and more akin to New Bermuda, which is also reflected in the production.

31 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Yup. I'm sure they all bought fucking jetskis with that sell out money too.

Anxiously awaiting the next Deafheaven video in which they all cheekily ride their jetskis around, causing their fans to wonder whether they're being serious or not.

53 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

well, even the NPR article from the stream says that Honeycomb is "the album's most ferocious bit of black metal." I have similar feelings about the song, and to me it's the closest they get to the Sunbather sound (even though, it still sounds more like New Bermuda in my book). It might have something to do with the songwriting approach. Like I mentioned back when "Canary Yellow" dropped as a single, a lot of it seems gimmicky and not flowing together very well - which is something that they absolutely mastered on Sunbather for instance. Yes, there are still blast beats, there are still similar vocal styles (anyway I do appreciate the clean singing that is introduced!), but how it all comes together is less akin to Sunbather and more akin to New Bermuda, which is also reflected in the production.

I get where you’re coming from.  And I can’t refute that the production is far more akin to NB than Sunbather – based off as much as we can tell from a stream, anyway.  My 2.0 remark was more in terms of the overly apparent bright, optimistic climaxes and chord progressions on this record.  I can probably count the number of dark or otherwise “blistering” black metal segments on one hand, this time around.  (Maybe two.)  If anything, it’s even more positive and melodic than Sunbather – it feels like it really developed those moments and fleshed them out to span longer segments.  I could see if it’s not for everyone, but I guess I’m trying to say that the album feels more like a continuation of Sunbather than a continuation of NB.  The guitar leads and solos they rolled out on NB are even more dominant here – by comparison, Vertigo’s solo sounds shy compared to what we get now – and I think they’ve really honed their ability to write quality instrumental jams, especially as outros.  But like Drew said, I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch to tone down Glint’s solo, strip off a few layers of its production polish, and nestle it into Sunbather somewhere.  That’s just how I feel though.  I’m reading a lot of comments (outside of VC) from people getting hung up on the intro and interludes, which is a shame because I feel like that really misses the mark of what the band is doing.  Which is, by and large, writing traditional Deafheaven songs.

It’s not a perfect record and I feel no need to defend it against anyone who was maybe let down by it, but for what it is I think it’s an excellent addition to their discography.  Especially after revisiting their catalog in anticipation for next week.  As people have said in this thread, they could’ve played it safe and churned out a carbon copy of Sunbather, but I’m glad they didn’t.

No love for Canary Yellow?  Can you explain what you mean about it feeling too disjointed or unable to flow well?  Honestly, that’s how I feel about every Deafheaven song the first time I hear it.  But for me, the charm and replayability comes from learning all those twists and turns over time.  Canary is probably one of the biggest rollercoasters on the record, and I wasn’t instantly sold when it dropped as a single, but I’ve really come to enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

You guys do realize that this is basically Sunbather 2.0, right?  Just instead of slow strums, tablesaws, and faux drug deal dialogue as interludes, we’re getting spoken poetry over Queen guitars, Slowdive worship, and a synthy Chelsea Wolfe / George duet.  Barring opinions, man..., I don’t see how you could enjoy Sunbather but find OCHL’s main tracks to be “meh”.

Yeah... Roads to Judah is still my favourite, I like Sunbather but appart from Dream House it doesn't do much for me years later... Not saying this is a shit album by any means but I got bored with it it's a bit predictable... Just meh.

3 hours ago, parkinglot said:

K the ending of the pecan tree is the best thing they have ever done though let’s be honest 

I can't argue with this.  That piano, man....

Also, I listened to this album again today on my bike ride.  It's fucking incredible, but I must say... I am agreeing with the critics of Night People.  It's not that the song is bad, although it seems a bit under-developed...  it is just SO glaringly out of place compared to the rest of the stuff.  I think it would have fit better had they bracketed it with 2 interlude segments that took us down from the guitar-based stuff into that song. 

On another note, I am LOVING the sound-scapey pedal work that they're using.  Lots of reverse guitar, and then they do something on Worthless Animal that I'm not exactly sure what it is yet, but it kind of sounds like when you mess with a delay pedal's delay time knob and it whips the repeats around, messing with their pitch. 

But man, what an uplifting record.  I love it.  If Night People was segued into better, this would be a perfect record.  Maybe I'll love that hard turn more in time, but it just seems so haphazardly placed at the moment. 

I'm not getting the 'Sunbather 2.0' vibe, this is album is very much it's own sound. I agree that Glint would fit on sunbather but that is it. Honeycomb sounds like it could have been on New Bermuda more so than on Sunbather and Night People and Near are very much uncharted territory for them. The lead guitar parts are very pronounced and the solos really soar, and I also agree the reverse delay is used very well and it adds more of a post rock vibe, and that's just my opinion off my first listen through

Spoiler
37 minutes ago, sean said:

Its okay, I’m more of a demo, rtj fan will prob lose interest after this album near is good the song with Chelsea would be great if it was just her on vocals to me it sounds like a deafheaven cover band overall

Please use a trigger warning if you want to type like this. Thanks.

6 hours ago, sean said:

Its okay, I’m more of a demo, rtj fan will prob lose interest after this album near is good the song with Chelsea would be great if it was just her on vocals to me it sounds like a deafheaven cover band overall

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

10 hours ago, CatsNJazz said:

I'm not getting the 'Sunbather 2.0' vibe, this is album is very much it's own sound. I agree that Glint would fit on sunbather but that is it. Honeycomb sounds like it could have been on New Bermuda more so than on Sunbather and Night People and Near are very much uncharted territory for them. The lead guitar parts are very pronounced and the solos really soar, and I also agree the reverse delay is used very well and it adds more of a post rock vibe, and that's just my opinion off my first listen through

I think people are comparing this to Sunbather because it's so uplifting and full of major key jams, as well as the fact that they have "interlude" songs in between the black metal stuff.  Sunbather is it's own thing, though. 

If your tastes are the early material, you're probably not going to like this album because this album is full of major key bliss jams, not unhinged aggression serving as a catharsis for personal struggles and pain.  As they talked about in the interview, the band is healthy now.  This is what healthy, happy Deafheaven sounds like.  I'll take it, and more please!

4 hours ago, BeeRyanD said:

Hey I'm mad late to the party (don't frequent VC much) but is there anyway to get the green/grey smash to the US without paying too much? Legitimately hate all the other variants and would like to get a non-black copy if I could.

Do you mean the green with black smoke?  I did a group buy for that one, but the order has already been put through.  KRM doesn't amend orders, but I suppose I can message them and see if they can refund me and I place another order as long as they have the stock.  That one comes to $32.50 shipped, including media mail. 

I'm debating getting a black 180 copy of this though just for listening sake.... because man, this album is good.