DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

2 minutes ago, CatsNJazz said:

Pianos, orchestra, and some riffs from a Avril Lavigne song thrown all together with some autistic screaming layered on top of it. That's Deafheaven. 

Hahahahahahahah

Looking past the fact that their website looks like a storefront for sexy toys hosted on Geocities, you know you’re a credible source of music critique when you have to rely on mental disorders as descriptors.  I thought that was a parody site until I saw how seriously they review all their literally-who metal bands on the front page.

That review is mostly accurate (jilted harsh vocals over lush post-rock melodies is a bit off/night people doesn't belong on the album) despite how much I like this album as a whole. The writer seems more desperate to genre-classify Deafheaven in their iTunes playlist rather than actually critique the album, though.

Edited by My Upvote is A Downvote

Just now, Derek™ said:

Please elaborate.

I'll try to gather the coherent ideas that I agree with:

The progression from each Deafheaven album leaves the listener with no real idea where the next one will go (and its possible they are trying to maximize with this album what made Sunbather so listenable to non metalheads)

Deafheaven isn't metal and definitely not black metal (or its black metal for people who dont like black metal/are genre-classifying on vocals alone) - so I understand why metal genre purists will complain

Some of the tracks don't have a particularly strong progression for their length

Night people does not belong on this album, whether you like the track or not

Deafheaven do not care about being metal, people who don't like this album are probably just mad they are not metal. If Deafheaven wanted Night People on the album, it belongs there. I'm not saying everyone has to like this album, but denying the progression of their technical abilities is kind of absurd to me, everyone in the band gives their best musical performances on this album and across seven tracks with more diversity than most bands can imagine doing throughout seven albums. If you want the old stuff listen to the old stuff. It's still there

54 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Looking past the fact that their website looks like a storefront for sexy toys hosted on Geocities, you know you’re a credible source of music critique when you have to rely on mental disorders as descriptors.  I thought that was a parody site until I saw how seriously they review all their literally-who metal bands on the front page.

I was just about to say, this website looks like it was pulled straight from 1997.

9 minutes ago, Kanellos said:

After finishing this record, I came to a realization that I truly do not understand Vinyl Collective or rather Vinyl Collective doesn't understand themselves.

There isn't a consistent opinion here so I don't understand you for not just posting your own. Did you love it? Did you hate it? Literally no way to tell in this sage advice fluff post.

17 minutes ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

There isn't a consistent opinion here so I don't understand you for not just posting your own. Did you love it? Did you hate it? Literally no way to tell in this sage advice fluff post.

I guess my joke flew right over the sun. Read the first sentence in the Metal Archives review.

You guys don't know Metal Archives?  This site has been around foreverrrr now and it's always looked like this lol.  Hell, my old band is on there ;) 

This guy is hung up on the fact that Deafheaven isn't Mayhem or Immortal.  They do different things.  This is why I hate metal and metalheads, people can't handle it when things are mixed and not pure trve kvlt like Blasphemy or Revenge.  This album is amazing.  Dude is so triggered by the crossover concept.  Good music is good music. 

Also, the vinyl sounds fucking incredible. 

37 minutes ago, daegor said:

Yeah I see the confused reaction, I haven't quantified my opinion because it feels knee-jerk.  I'm not sure it's how I actually feel.

But it's definitely not their best work.

Just taken aback because of VC’s active users I’ve considered your tastes to fall into the “quite respectable” range of the spectrum.

On initial impression, what are your biggest hang-ups with the album?  How did you feel about Bermuda?

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Just taken aback because of VC’s active users I’ve considered your tastes to fall into the “quite respectable” range of the spectrum.

That funny to me because my tastes are so inconsistent and varied.

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

On initial impression, what are your biggest hang-ups with the album?

Guitar in first song sounds like alt-Christian praise and worship music.  The Chelsea Wolfe song, while enjoyable, would be a better Chelsea Wolfe ft Deafheaven song rather than Deafheaven ft Chelsea Wolfe.  Overall the album is weird, which normally I like, but the weird doesn't really seem to work in this instance.

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

How did you feel about Bermuda?

I quite liked it, especially live.  The weirdness in New Bermuda I was immediately into, nothing actually felt out of place.  Unexpected, but not out of place.

Here's my amazing and thorough review:

I didn't dig it, but it wasn't bad and I don't really have an opinion on it one way or the other really. Might grab it if I come across it for $10 like I did New Bermuda. Which is funny because I really liked Demo/RTJ/Sunbather but haven't gotten around to buying any of them.

44 minutes ago, jrodan said:

someone whose opinion is that both new bermuda and OCHL are weird, but one has good weirdness and the other has bad weirdness = not a very formulated or worthwhile opinion.

seriously lol @ weird being a descriptor for both albums for opposite reasons.

I agree! Which is why I was hesitant to get into it, it's not a fully explored thought, I need to listen to it once or twice more before I can decide/articulate what I think about it.

Though I would clarify that it's not much much good versus bad, but unexpected versus out of place.

30 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Maybe I’m alone here but I hear more sounds and experimentation on this record than anything they’ve done yet.  Not necessarily saying it’s the best thing they’ve ever done but I think it’s worlds different than re-recording Sunbather.

I'm totally with you here, this sounds nothing like pre-Bermuda.  Bermuda they started to meddle in this sort of experimentation and for this album they went off the deep end (IMHO).

36 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Maybe I’m alone here but I hear more sounds and experimentation on this record than anything they’ve done yet.  Not necessarily saying it’s the best thing they’ve ever done but I think it’s worlds different than re-recording Sunbather.

Yeah, this is the truth.  You guys need to listen more critically because there's tons of stuff going on in this record that they've never done before regarding sound effects.  I personally love it, and it gives the material an entirely new dimension.  Most every song has one instance of some cool effect, be it the backwards guitar in the beginning of Glint, the droning high end of Canary Yellow's intro, or that that echoey breakdown in the middle of Honeycomb.  There's a lot of spots that have some sound effect where I'm like "What the fuck IS that?" 

I also need to call out the terrific bass guitar playing on this album, because I think that makes a huge difference in the material here.  I love how active and melodic the lines are.  It adds so much. 

I do find it interesting that many people cite New Bermuda as their favorite when the band has stated that that album was rushed and they were in a bad place when writing it.  This album is a healthy, happy Deafheaven and I think that comes across in the music which is much more rich for me due to this fact.  Maybe it's my adult tastes changing, but I prefer the happiness and contentment of a well-adjusted life (perhaps because I'm finally there myself after years of toil).  Who knows. 

Lastly, am I the only one who always thinks the album cover is a picture of Kerry?  lol

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

You're not alone. Some of these descriptions and opinions read like an alien describing music for the first time.