DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

2 hours ago, My Upvote is A Downvote said:

yeah,  this is also the record ive spun the most since i got it. frontrunner for AOTY and its getting quite late in the year.

Yeah dude, I got the CD for my car and I listen to it at least 3 times through before I switch it out.  Fucking "Glint" and "Honeycomb" man...

42 minutes ago, daegor said:

I'm going to give this another listen, but I'll probably sell my clear copy, I've had zero interest in replaying it since the first listen.

Please listen again!  I've seen so many polarizing aspects of this album, people utterly hating on it because they added a lot of melody and post-rock kinda stuff to it.  However, I thank that demonstrates it to be their most mature, accomplished record yet.  I know many people who think New Bermuda is the best thing ever, but I feel within that record you can hear the disconnect and unhealthy place that the band was in - they were rushed, trying to follow up Sunbather (no fucking thank you to being in that position!) and it's not a bad record, but this record feels so much more together and focused.  You can tell the band is in a good spot, rather than under the gun and stressed out.  The new bass player helps a lot too, the bass playing on OCHL is fucking fantastic. 

My only gripe is the Chelsea Wolfe track... it just feels kind of unfinished.  If they had interludes that faded out from Glint and into Worthless Animal I think it would have been more well-received.  But the silence makes it stand out in an unartistic way for me. 

7 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Ditto for me. I sold mine after a month. Just not something I ever saw myself coming back to

This is probably what I'll do with the new TWDY album.  I wanted to like it so much but on vinyl, I just can't take the sound of the production, chiefly the drums. 

Are you somebody who loves New Bermuda?

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah dude, I got the CD for my car and I listen to it at least 3 times through before I switch it out.  Fucking "Glint" and "Honeycomb" man...

Please listen again!  I've seen so many polarizing aspects of this album, people utterly hating on it because they added a lot of melody and post-rock kinda stuff to it.  However, I thank that demonstrates it to be their most mature, accomplished record yet.  I know many people who think New Bermuda is the best thing ever, but I feel within that record you can hear the disconnect and unhealthy place that the band was in - they were rushed, trying to follow up Sunbather (no fucking thank you to being in that position!) and it's not a bad record, but this record feels so much more together and focused.  You can tell the band is in a good spot, rather than under the gun and stressed out.  The new bass player helps a lot too, the bass playing on OCHL is fucking fantastic. 

My only gripe is the Chelsea Wolfe track... it just feels kind of unfinished.  If they had interludes that faded out from Glint and into Worthless Animal I think it would have been more well-received.  But the silence makes it stand out in an unartistic way for me. 

Yeah all of the things you like I don't and all of the things you don't I do for this album, haha.  I dig the change in sound, it's boring to just repeat previous sounds (I like New Bermuda, it doesn't sound at all like they were doing Sunbather 2, it's it's own thing).  

This album is simply not interesting.  We'll see if a second listen brings out anything else for me.

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

This is probably what I'll do with the new TWDY album.  I wanted to like it so much but on vinyl, I just can't take the sound of the production, chiefly the drums. 

Are you somebody who loves New Bermuda?

No. I never got into NB.

For me Sunbather is enough for me if i want to listen to them at this point, which might be once a year

4 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Yes! What variant? I have the pink. Don't really like it with the art.

Clear: https://www.discogs.com/Deafheaven-Ordinary-Corrupt-Human-Love/release/12238358

I wasn't fucking with anyone except Deathwish on the preorder given the New Bermuda insanity.

My faith in this thread is slowly being restored.  If I didn’t overplay Honeycomb and Canary Yellow so much, leading up to the album, I think OCHL would still be rocking my socks.  After getting ample mileage out of it over the summer, and seeing the band live, I’m on a bit of a Deafheaven breather at the moment... but there’s no way this record doesn’t crack my top 10 for the year.  At the end of the day, yeah, it sure is a whole different animal than Sunbather... but I celebrate that, personally.

Night People is still kind of whack though.

Album is def top 5 of the year for me and, personally, it MAY be DH's best work to date. It's just uncanny how good these guys keep elevating the emotive elements of their compositions. And it's pretty amazing how great their songs translate live because not only are they just as good as the recorded tracks, but the raw energy heightens everything about said tracks!

I'm legitimately curious as to the disparaging opinions on this album.  They've done something right if we're talking about it this much.  It feels like it's more than a simple "I like this" vs "I don't".  They've hit some sort of cord that resonates with people, both positively and negatively.

I know I got some knee-jerk reactions where points of the album reminded me of being a teenager in church and the stereotypical musical cords that are used again and again and again and again in order to evoke an almost Pavlovian emotional response.  It's very possible this is a main point of detraction for me.  And I wonder if for those of you less overexposed to it if it is a point of attraction.

1 hour ago, daegor said:

I'm legitimately curious as to the disparaging opinions on this album.  They've done something right if we're talking about it this much.  It feels like it's more than a simple "I like this" vs "I don't".  They've hit some sort of cord that resonates with people, both positively and negatively.

I know I got some knee-jerk reactions where points of the album reminded me of being a teenager in church and the stereotypical musical cords that are used again and again and again and again in order to evoke an almost Pavlovian emotional response.  It's very possible this is a main point of detraction for me.  And I wonder if for those of you less overexposed to it if it is a point of attraction.

It seems that the people hate on the album because it's very bright, emotionally-speaking.  There's a LOT of major chords.  It's happy.  It's well-adjusted Deafheaven.  The people that dislike this album seem to like New Bermuda and Roads to Judah the most, which just speaks to style preference.  However, that is bewildering to me because Deafheaven has never lost the aggressive side of their compositions.  Canary Yellow is like 12 minutes of onslaught.  I think people want them to be more like Wolves in the Throne Room rather than contemporary Alcest.  This was something I was thinking about last week when I was listening to again, because i was worried that they may get to a point where the blastbeats go away and I hope that never happens.  Some metal bands grow and change A LOT (see In Flames, Hammerfall, Isis) and while I ***love*** tracks like "You Without End" and "Near" I don't want that to be the only thing they do. 

Overall, I do think this may be Deafheaven's best work; it's just so well-written, and so robust, compositionally.  Which is very weird to say and think because Sunbather is such a towering achievement. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently this album has accomplished it's goal because every time I finish it, I always feel like "Fuck.... that's it?  It's so short!" but it's like over an hour long haha.  I need like, 1 or 2 more "metal" songs from them on this.  But better to be left wanting more, unless you're Ancestors and their new album, where you make brilliant music but your album is only fucking 38 minutes long.  That is some bullshit. 

• 2 months later...