DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Nope false alarm, that's just George playing Battleship on a really old computer.  20:19 is military time for when the photo was taken.  Nothing to see here.

Yea, but did you see their Instagram stories? There were headphones, and I think some microphones in the background too. I cant believe Deafheaven is quitting music to do ASMR now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hardly.  I mean, it’s a monster of a track.  Undeniably more metal than anything off OCHL.  If we’re measuring in riff prowess, then yeah, undeniably.  I just don’t think it plays to their strongest suits as a band though and there’s no place on the album this would’ve remotely worked.

16 minutes ago, Kanellos said:

I don't know about you guys, but I found this to be insanely good--more so than anything on OCHL. I think it plays more into the New Bermuda vibes which I personally find more enjoyable. 

I guess it comes down to what you hope to hear from the band or “why” you listen to them.  100% agreed that it reflects New Bermuda more than anything else in their discography.  There is no right or wrong answer at the end of the day; if you live for the thrash riffs and chugging, I think this b-side will definitely cater to your tastes more than the majority of their discography, to be honest.  I find that their dynamic, sprawling tracks are their best ones but that’s all subjective, right?

I have a buddy who’s seeing them tomorrow and I imagine this song would be pretty insane in a live environment.

Edited by Derek™

I'll have to listen again, but the song didn't do much for me.  It was basically them trying to write a thrash song, and then it became a black metal song.  It seemed unfocused, and one of the riffs is a recycling of Brought To The Water. 

Just like everything they've done, it isn't bad by any means.  I just prefer the rest of OCHL without question.  If they had put SOME kind of melodic lead in there somewhere, I would have loved this more.  Riffs just don't do it for me these days. 

If you hate OCHL and love New Bermuda, you're going to love this song though. 

14 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I have a buddy who’s seeing them tomorrow and I imagine this song would be pretty insane in a live environment.

Keep us posted if they play it, I'm seeing them in April and I'll be a bit upset if they take time away from Glint or Worthless Animal to play this one.  I'd even take New Bermuda tracks over it. 

Can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I think Gumbo’s post is on point and I’m inclined to agree.  I would totally take a traditional 20 minute EP of this material though.  It would be a fun addition to keep in rotation within their discography.

I’ll get a setlist for that show tomorrow and post it.  I’m curious to see what sort of mix they’ll be playing.

Edited by Derek™

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I think Gumbo’s post is on point and I’m inclined to agree.  I would totally take a traditional 20 minute EP of this material though.  It would be a fun addition to keep in rotation within their discography.

I'd probably be into that too, but this track makes me think of like.....  so Deafheaven is a venn diagram, right.  And this song is just them going into one of the constituent components of their venn diagram, when it's the venn diagram itself that makes Deafheaven so great.  They're making a whole song out of one of the elements that makes them great, and on it's own, i just don't think they're that strong at that. 

Perhaps my thoughts will change, but I missed the melody in this song.  Throw some blissy atmospherics over top of this though, and then we're talking. 

also lol