DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

4 hours ago, daegor said:

Guitar in first song sounds like alt-Christian praise and worship music.

LOL. i played this record for the first time the other weekend, cranked the volume up loud, and proceeded to get dumbfounded as the first track played. couldn't help but just start laughing. rolled my eyes at the voiceover and laughed even harder when the lead vocals hit the track. personally, the intro makes me want to open my heart to jesus and sway back and forth with my eyes closed and hands in the air.

nice to see that it's already sparking top notch internet commentary. wouldn't mind seeing them live again.

2 minutes ago, nick69 said:

There is no experimentation in this album. Nothing we weren't expecting Deafheaven to do at some point. The songwriting sits right in the middle of Sunbather and New Bermuda in my view.

Shhh sir they mean a type of experiment that vastly differs from our own... probes.

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Wasn't sure what to think of You Without End on the first listen, but by the second I was sold and it only continued to get better.  Only track on the album I'm not 100% on is still Night People.

It’s definitely a jarring track but I feel it’s a nice palette cleanser between glint and worthless animal 

23 hours ago, ZeroNowhere said:

It's just not what I personally would open a record with.  Maybe use it as a closer after a total banger of an album, but an opener, not so much. 

Interesting thought. Probably, with that song at the end - and especially with that phenomenal final climax on the lead guitar - this one could have brought the album to a 'Pecan Tree' tier conclusion. I'll keep on digging the song and its placement anyway, as its triumphant tone kind of sets the mood just right. Also, this album still keeps getting better and better. Couldn't help but spin it a handful of times today only.

21 hours ago, helsabot said:

Sunbather will always hold a special place in my heart, but holy shit this new album is perfect...the more I listen to it the more I like it...there's a lot going on, lots of details which are noticeable only after a few spins. 

This.  There's tons of little sonic easter eggs in the songs that you only notice after a few times really.  This album and Sunbather are the top of the mountain for them, and are probably equal in my book.  Sunbather has the nostalgia factor, as it was the album that blew my mind open and exposed me to them... but this album is fucking good. 

On 7/22/2018 at 12:32 AM, Derek™ said:

Wasn't sure what to think of You Without End on the first listen, but by the second I was sold and it only continued to get better.  Only track on the album I'm not 100% on is still Night People.

This and this.  Night People could use a prelude and post-lude (?) ambient track or something to set it up... it just comes out of nowhere.  It's not a bad song it just... the transition isn't smooth for me.  Night People is also much better on vinyl than digital, it really pops and has much more dynamics to it. 

9 hours ago, pepperonigin said:

Went to see these guys tonight and they were excellent. I haven’t given the new album a listen yet but it’s certainly going to be my next purchase. 

By seeing the band live, I'm pretty sure you saw the entire album sans a song or two? I love seeing them live because they do this.

3 hours ago, jonnywreck said:

By seeing the band live, I'm pretty sure you saw the entire album sans a song or two? I love seeing them live because they do this.

I believe they ended up playing four from the new one. They only played maybe eight songs in total but I thought they sounded phenomenal and absolutely sold me on the new one which I was probably going to get anyway just hadn't pulled the trigger yet.

5 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

I believe they ended up playing four from the new one. They only played maybe eight songs in total but I thought they sounded phenomenal and absolutely sold me on the new one which I was probably going to get anyway just hadn't pulled the trigger yet.

They're playing Honeycome, Canary Yellow, Worthless Animal and You Without End.  The latter of which is especially hard for me to stomach by not seeing them...  that tune is so fucking good. 

They're also doing Sunbather, Kettle, Dreamhouse, and Brought To The Water.  Some setlists have Luna and Come Back mentioned, but I bet that those are likely erroneous submissions.  Who knows though. 

This band rules, that's what I fucking know. 

3 hours ago, ethereal said:

from the kettle onto the coil is such a fucking jam, a perfect mix of the Sunbather and New Bermuda sounds...

Yeah, and I really wish they'd put it on a 7" sometime.  Really glad I caught it the only time I've been able to see them.  That last vocal line is fucking epic too:   "I am what I always was:  gleaming and empty". 

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

You suck.  So much.  :::kicks::::

How does "You Without End" translate live?

I was at that show, they didn't play "you without end." Seeing it on the setlist though makes me wish they did. They had some technical issues and a guy unplugged kerry's pedalboard during "worthless animal."

1 hour ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

I was at that show, they didn't play "you without end." Seeing it on the setlist though makes me wish they did. They had some technical issues and a guy unplugged kerry's pedalboard during "worthless animal."

omg if i was there and missed that song due to this..... i would have fucking murdered that guy. 

It's crazy to me someone would pay money to see a band just to mess up there show. One time I saw a local band and they had a cello player and his cable got unplugged and someone actually plugged it back it for him. I except that kind of behavior at a show, not the former. Glad that guy got kicked out.

1 hour ago, Reshiram said:

It's crazy to me someone would pay money to see a band just to mess up there show. One time I saw a local band and they had a cello player and his cable got unplugged and someone actually plugged it back it for him. I except that kind of behavior at a show, not the former. Glad that guy got kicked out.

This is how it was at all the local hardcore shows i used to go to as a kid....  if the cymbal stand fell over, whoever saw it first just went up on stage and set it back up. 

9 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

This is how it was at all the local hardcore shows i used to go to as a kid....  if the cymbal stand fell over, whoever saw it first just went up on stage and set it back up. 

Last house show I was at consisted of a few of us holding the mic in the sweet spot that the cable worked after it got so humid in the basement that some of the tech stopped functioning