DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

19 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Isn't everything they do visually bordering on parody? Like, on purpose?

(Note: been listening to them since the demo and have enjoyed all their releases)

To continue the drama going, I legitimately think they take everything they do very seriously. Have you seen them perform? Their vocalist acts like he is some sort of sage. Or maybe you're on to something, because a lot of their lyrics seem like a joke.

That being said, I pre-ordered a clear.

On 4/17/2018 at 9:58 AM, Kanellos said:

New album 'Ordinary Corrupt Human Love' out on Anti-records July 13th.

Preorder:

Red/Black https://secure.kingsroadmerch.com/anti-records/?id=1902&sid=3101

Pink https://www.hellomerch.com/collections/deafheaven

Red/Black https://artistfirst.com.au/collections/deafheaven

Green Transp. https://eu.kingsroadmerch.com/deafheaven/view/?id=12445&cid=2809

Clear /500 https://deathwishinc.com/collections/deafheaven/products/deafheaven-ordinary-corrupt-human-love

New North American tour:

https://deafheaven.com

New single Honeycomb:

"Honeycomb" by Deafheaven 

Lyrics

shadows extend east
and Cortazar stares at women shuffling by who blot their lips from violent men
and say "god bless you"
I sulk with pause and
loving mariachi soars against the red and yellow tents of strangers
gifting geese the ends of bread.
8, 12, 13 hours and the people keep fighting for sleep, for rest...

i'm reluctant to stay sad
life beyond is a field a flowers
my love is a nervous child lapping from the glowing lagoon of their presence
my love is a bulging, blue-faced fool hung from the throat by sunflower stems

Drab Majesty is opening for them on tour. Might have to go, though I've never heard of the venue they are playing at in SF.

Reading those lyrics and the mention of "Cortazar" makes me wonder if he's referring to Julio Cortzar. The lyrics remind me a little bit of his writing.

Edited by lexicondevil

23 minutes ago, Washer said:

To continue the drama going, I legitimately think they take everything they do very seriously. Have you seen them perform? Their vocalist acts like he is some sort of sage. Or maybe you're on to something, because a lot of their lyrics seem like a joke.

That being said, I pre-ordered a clear.

I based my opinion on their stage performance. It's gotta be some satire level shit. Not that they aren't serious about their music or they don't make good art, but I've always assumed there was some tongue in cheek going on.

19 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Reading those lyrics and the mention of "Cortazar" makes me wonder if he's referring to Julio Cortzar. The lyrics remind me a little bit of his writing.

Yeah you’re right. This is taken from DW page:

Taking more literary cues, the lyrics to the expansive “Honeycomb” reference seminal Argentinian writer Julio Cortazar, author of the elaborately structured stream-of-conscious novel Hopscotch while another song, "Canary Yellow," includes the line “I have wondered about the language of flowers.”

20 hours ago, Derek™ said:

You know I’m hyped for both this year.  But that’s for another thread.

Watch them just do solid opaque colors that match the lettering up top – 1,000 of each.

Lo and behold... haha didn't think this would actually happen. These variants are fuckin' lame. When clear is the best looking variant in 2018, it reeks of laziness.

But Honeycomb is fantastic and I'll be hitting up that tour and grabbing a copy on black as well.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

Just now, nick69 said:

Do people even like opaque colored and clear records?  I got the european one because it's different.

Eh, maybe years ago when I first started out collecting, but opaque colors and clear are just kinda humdrum to me now. If I'm gonna risk a reduction in sound quality, it's gotta be worth it and interesting. That being said, I do like clear albums and they look great, but I kind of expected more considering the pressings for Sunbather. We don't need to discuss NB's pressing.

6 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Lo and behold... haha didn't think this would actually happen. These variants are fuckin' lame. When clear is the best looking variant in 2018, it reeks of laziness.

But Honeycomb is fantastic and I'll be hitting up that tour and grabbing a copy on black as well.

2 minutes ago, nick69 said:

Do people even like opaque colored and clear records?  I got the european one because it's different.

ya'll are off base. clear is best variant, nearly always.

10 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Eh, maybe years ago when I first started out collecting, but opaque colors and clear are just kinda humdrum to me now. If I'm gonna risk a reduction in sound quality, it's gotta be worth it and interesting. That being said, I do like clear albums and they look great, but I kind of expected more considering the pressings for Sunbather. We don't need to discuss NB's pressing.

It's the opposite for me. They could do the craziest color combo possible and I would have already owned 3 copies of different records on the same colorway. If it doesn't go well with the art it doesn't do much for me.

15 minutes ago, rooks said:

ya'll are off base. clear is best variant, nearly always.

VC Clear Crew representing.  There are a few of us.  After seeing the unimaginative variants for New Bermuda, I wasn’t holding my breath for anything crazy, anyway.  I’m not a huge fan of the cover art and don’t really care all that much about insane color combinations for the vinyl itself; if it matches and has a cohesive aesthetic, I’m game.  And fortunately clear wax looks great with almost every black-and-white jacket I’ve ever seen.

Anyone read the writeup on the product page?  Interesting that Chelsea Wolfe makes an appearance on the album.