PO SOON : Sleep - The Sciences

I don't know if this was mentioned in the 14 pages we've reached, but the word is that initially TMR wouldn't even tell retailers what they were ordering. It was a mystery record, but since it was from the much ballyhooed TMR it must be good. In this case it was, but that seems like a crappy game to be playing with record stores trying to stay afloat. I don't know if this is actually true, just like I don't know if there were actually 10,000 green pressed. I do know that I'm getting tired of this type of nonsense.

this is what i saw on reddit on the 19th which i assumed was something that came right from TMR or the distributor to the stores?

"Third Man will be putting out a surprise new release from a well-established artist next Friday 4/20. A new recording from an indie store fan favorite with a rabid cult following. The first run of this "standard edition" LP will be far from standard with the first 10k run pressed on 4/20 green vinyl. All detail concerning this release are fully confidential until midnight local time on 4/20."

Just now, fish said:

this is what i saw on reddit on the 19th which i assumed was something that came right from TMR or the distributor to the stores?

"Third Man will be putting out a surprise new release from a well-established artist next Friday 4/20. A new recording from an indie store fan favorite with a rabid cult following. The first run of this "standard edition" LP will be far from standard with the first 10k run pressed on 4/20 green vinyl. All detail concerning this release are fully confidential until midnight local time on 4/20."

I posted it here, too - that's the detail from the distributor pulled on 4/19.

21 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I don't know if there were actually 10,000 green pressed. I do know that I'm getting tired of this type of nonsense.

Can confirm.

10k pressing of the green.

2.5k went to stores.

1.5k went to various upholsterers in Belgium.

1k to Outpost 31 in Antarctica.

1k to Nick Alt.

1k to the band, but they got high and lost them.

1k hidden inside used Bay City Rollers albums

750 sent on a weather balloon into space

500 to Piggly Wiggly locations in West Virginia

500 were incinerated immediately to forge a new throne for Jack

The remaining 250 were pressed without a B side, So Jack will put those up as rare for $420 next week.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jack8urt0n

42 minutes ago, fish said:

Even though it all points to Sleep, I would have never thought they would be on TMR. 

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

I don't know if this was mentioned in the 14 pages we've reached, but the word is that initially TMR wouldn't even tell retailers what they were ordering. It was a mystery record, but since it was from the much ballyhooed TMR it must be good. In this case it was, but that seems like a crappy game to be playing with record stores trying to stay afloat. I don't know if this is actually true, just like I don't know if there were actually 10,000 green pressed. I do know that I'm getting tired of this type of nonsense.

Yup. Every store I've gone to has been pretty peeved about the whole thing.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

The store I spoke to said that TMR  required that they be shipped to their store overnight($200) in order to maintain the element of surprise.

Not sure how true that is.

Just hope some of the money actually makes it to the band.

Edit: Got my green copy in the mail today

Edited by Smellman

On 4/24/2018 at 11:35 AM, coreystevens88 said:

TMR has overpriced every part of this release - I only paid $29.95 out the door for my green/black split copy.  I guess you could say tax is included in the $30 price point, but still doesn't explain the mark-up to $50 for the split.

Agreed. $30 for a 2XLP on a label the size of Third Man is ridiculous. It wasn't long ago that most of their 2XLP's were about $20. Looking at the store just now, it seems that has changed. Its a shame. Label's like Deathwish can put out high quality 2XLP's for about $18 to $26 at the highest. Mostly they stay around the $22 to $24 range. $30 is like WMG territory as far as pricing is concerned. TMR used to be really good about prices.

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Exactly. I called several stores over the weekend and more than a few of the people I talked to bemoaned this ploy. Asking independent businesses to blindly buy an expensive 2XLP based on no info other than vague hype is asking a lot. What economy does TMR think this is?

6 hours ago, jack8urt0n said:

Can confirm.

10k pressing of the green.

2.5k went to stores.

1.5k went to various upholsterers in Belgium.

1k to Outpost 31 in Antarctica.

1k to Nick Alt.

1k to the band, but they got high and lost them.

1k hidden inside used Bay City Rollers albums

750 sent on a weather balloon into space

500 to Piggly Wiggly locations in West Virginia

500 were incinerated immediately to forge a new throne for Jack

The remaining 250 were pressed without a B side, So Jack will put those up as rare for $420 next week.

Hope this helps.

500 of the green and black LPs were cut in half and merged together to make the /1000 split variant.

Edited by OldKentuckyShark