PO SOON : Sleep - The Sciences

Anyone wants to help a Belgian out? It is a disaster to order this one in Europe. I placed an order in Bancquet records but got a mail today that the order will be canceled due the low number of records they will receive.

would love to have a green one, if somone can pick one up for me, i would pay for everything... .

thx

1 hour ago, jack8urt0n said:

To explore this a bit, looking at the cataloguing of this on discogs. About 20-25% of the split are accounted for.  The Green is sitting around 7% accounted for (if 10k). Of course, we don't expect everyone who purchased to catalog, but it still seems like enough of a discrepancy to suggest either:

A - Not 10k

B - Shit's lost, yo

C - Hoarding

D - Jack is having some fun with us

I am Jack's smirking revenge.

yeah, it really shouldnt be this difficult to obtain a record thats supposed to be "limited" to 10k. 

Just now, mattisr1984 said:

yeah, it really shouldnt be this difficult to obtain a record thats supposed to be "limited" to 10k. 

More than likely, these are sitting at various points in the distribution chain past the label's stocking of it. I'm sure these will trickle out continuously for a little while longer. I bet stores will start receiving the black variant and there will be a mixture of boxes of just green that no one realized was coming through the pike. This is the type of stock data error that occurs when you secretly shove 11,000 (10K green and 1K green/black) records through the distro chain at the eleventh hour with not even store owners being privy to the nature of who the artist is and what the title is. So every store thinks the green is "out of print" which technically it is since it was a finite variant of 10K that was likely all done being pressed to that full number before they were even reaching stores so it was already "out of print" but that doesn't necessarily mean it was completely bought up and rendered out of stock by the customers. What likely happened is that the greens are just choking through the convoluted channels that come with all the inconsistency and secrecy involved in getting this title released in this unprecedented clandestine fashion. I'm certain we have not seen the end of green variant copies showing up in physical stores. I have no proof of this but it makes the most sense when you consider the number pressed versus how hard people are still clamoring for this specific variant versus the ridiculous release campaign that most store owners resent.

Just my thoughts on it. I could be totally wrong but its worth considering.

I was talking to someone at a local record store on 4/20 and he said they ordered the special version solicited through Third Man because they were offered a 100% refund but he was also solicited through their distributor with it still being a mystery release but he did not initially order those because he could not get a guarantee. Then after they figured out it was sleep he ordered through the distributor and had them early last week. So there probably are a bunch still sitting with distributors or in transit.

2 minutes ago, Rev. Mike said:

I was talking to someone at a local record store on 4/20 and he said they ordered the special version solicited through Third Man because they were offered a 100% refund but he was also solicited through their distributor with it still being a mystery release but he did not initially order those because he could not get a guarantee. Then after they figured out it was sleep he ordered through the distributor and had them early last week. So there probably are a bunch still sitting with distributors or in transit.

Right! Multiple record stores in the Chicagoland area alone had green copies coming out of there butts by early last week and most of the people staffing those stores didn't know if they would be green or black or something else they weren't aware of. I'm sure there are more on the way that no one as any current track of which will be hitting shelves around the US and probably in Europe/Rest of World.

8 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

I dont think distros are sitting on these. My store ordered 15 copies of the mystery release from WEA/ADA(main distributer for TMR). We were allocated to 10 copies which means they sold out.

I'm certainly not insinuating that any distro is intentionally sitting on these. I'm simply saying that its very likely that they've lost track of these or at the very least haven't communicated to the outlets properly about what version is coming and I think it specifically has to do with the overly confusing nature of the way the ordering process and the thereby funky consequence of how the distribution process ended up. Its a cock-up is basically what I'm trying to say. People aren't sure which way is up I think.

1 hour ago, mattisr1984 said:

I completely agree!..and then I think about the OG Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium(10.5K) and AFI - Sing the Sorrow(10K). Records are dumb. 

Man, a mystery “4/20” release from a stoner band issued with multiple variants, some only to hand-choosen shops, and pressed by zany Jack White and his infamous Third Man Records for sale the same weekend as Record Store Day.

Who would’ve thought there’d so many problems?!

6 hours ago, switch5150 said:

I completely agree!..and then I think about the OG Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium(10.5K) and AFI - Sing the Sorrow(10K). Records are dumb. 

Yes, but you're also talking about pretty old records that have found their way into people's permanent collections over a period of years - not something that was released 10 days ago.

I mean, don't get me wrong - I'm definitely a fan of sleep, high on fire, om, etc. But I've never thought of any of these bands as being hyped this much. I know it's been a long time since sleep has put out a full length but if people are this crazy about this record they should be losing their minds over om and high on fire records as well because influences from those projects has definitely crept into sleep. Anyway, rambling aside - I just can't see 10k of something being this difficult to find so I suspect once the hype dies down they'll be easier to find. Wait 10-15 years though - and yeah, one of 10k could be just as hard to find as those Mars Volta or AFI LPs.

Edited by mattisr1984

12 hours ago, jurgend said:

Anyone wants to help a Belgian out? It is a disaster to order this one in Europe. I placed an order in Bancquet records but got a mail today that the order will be canceled due the low number of records they will receive.

would love to have a green one, if somone can pick one up for me, i would pay for everything... .

thx

Yeah, same here...lame

10 hours ago, mattisr1984 said:

I mean, don't get me wrong - I'm definitely a fan of sleep, high on fire, om, etc. But I've never thought of any of these bands as being hyped this much. I know it's been a long time since sleep has put out a full length but if people are this crazy about this record they should be losing their minds over om and high on fire records as well because influences from those projects has definitely crept into sleep.

I love Om and High On Fire (and I never really thought I would) but there is no comparison between Sleep and those bands. Sonically, there are touches of Sleep in both bands but most of those bands' records have been consistently available (with a few exceptions) and there hasn't been the cultural mystery and fanfare for those bands as neither produced an album of as large of a landmark status that ended up being the bar against which a particular style has been held up to. Sleep have had a mythology of grandeur and rightfully so, I would say. The subsequent bands that were born from Sleep's break up are generally lauded and held in high regard by many but those same three guys aren't going to produce something that gains the status of Jerusalem/Dopesmoker on their own outside of the collective of Sleep as a band proper. They went on to form new bands under their own shadows.

Sleep as a specific group (even lacking the original drummer from their classic, most successful lineup) and their name carry an air of sanctity in their genre and among their fans new and old. I doubt they ever sought that status specifically by doing what they did but their output and the scarcity and limitation of that output only further imbues them with aggrandizement. They had two albums as Cisneros/Pike/Hakius. Holy Mountain was well loved and established a culture of "Sabbath Worship" and Dopesmoker was venerated and used as a rite of passage in the Doom/Stoner metal community. It was bootlegged and scarce and it was also a major feat of execution and creativity. Both albums were out of print or non-existant on vinyl for a long time as well. That's why the fanfare over Sleep is and will likely remain greater than it is for Om and HOF. And all that carries over into the present with the weight of their unlikely reunion in 2009 and subsequent tours and then the idea that a whole new album was a possibility spurned by the release of a warmly received single in 2014. Sleep has been an institution longer as well obviously. Their fanbase has been gestating with their material for a long time and I'd say they are more popular now than they've ever been.