ONLINE Record Store Day 2018 - deals, on-sale times, wants lists OK

5 minutes ago, Andrew_VB said:

they didn't fuck you over, they pretty clearly state on their website that they can't guarantee everything you order will be available since they're pulling the items out of the physical store which could have been purchased in the meantime since you ordered. best to not try ordering limited items like RSD stuff from them in the future.

3 minutes ago, jrodan said:

who do YOU think YOU are? get out of here with your logic! :)

RSD sucks, but the VC RSD threads rule.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:21 PM, scottheisel said:

There is no way your story is true, at least how you tell it. I’ve been shopping at MME for nearly 15 years, as does the bulk of my social circle, and I have never, ever heard anything even remotely like this about the store.

Yeah of course I am making this up,  Here is my yelp review of the store, dated 4/25/16.  Yes I left a few details out like all the phone calls the promise to hold etc.  But he did gauge me.

My Mind's Eye
16010 Detroit Ave
Lakewood, OH 44107
1.0 star rating
4/25/2016

I spoke to someone on Thursday who told me a particular RSD title would be in either Thursday or Friday, and asked me to call back after 5:00 pm on Thursday.  I called, it didn't come in, said it would be there Friday. I explained my work hours, he committed to holding the item until Sunday.  I show up Saturday night with my daughter (who it was for) and I ask about the item.  The guy looks at me with a straight face, tells me they are gone, sold out.  I then reminded him he was suppose to hold one for me, he took my name and number, suddenly he finds one that is on hold for someone else but will give it to me since we drove almost an hour to get it.

Then he lays it on me, he wants 3 times what the retail of the item is!  It is a new record that just came out, but he wants what "market' is on the item.  So I can either fork it over or disappoint my daughter.  Unethical and Unscrupulous. Never again will I walk into that record store, he had the opportunity to make a customer for life, instead he wanted a quick, extra dollar.  Never Again.

I don't have time to read 17 pages. Darkside Records is a dope record store in the steaming trash heap of Poughkeepsie, NY. They're currently selling the cheapest ($40) copies of the green variant of the new Sleep album on discogs right now. I'm not sure how much of this they have listed on their discogs page, but here's a little of RSD 2018 titles they still have for sale. You might have to call them, but they DO ship and internationally even

https://darksiderecords.tuneportals.com/NewsItem/7623

I don't live in Po-Town anymore, but I got a handful of really cool finds digging at Darkside. Solid record store.

4 minutes ago, jackshidt said:

Wow, that David Bowie 'Now' sold as high as $100 on Ebay prior to RSD.   200+ copies are available on Discogs.com now at prices as low as $10.99 plus shipping.

Link to Ebay Sold listings:

https://goo.gl/qVBysZ

Ah, the wonders of RSD.  I still need the spark to fizzle out on that Arcade Fire though.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:14 AM, armadillo01 said:

I thought I was done with RSD 2018 but I'm starting to think I need Purple Haze on vinyl in my life also. I might phone around some time this week see if local stores got any copies left.

If you didn't get it yet then dont bother. I just listened to one song and took it off my turntable. I mean I didn't clean it before playing but there's crackling and the same issue still remains from the original pressing. Everytime camron says a word with a s in it it there's a hissing sound. I'd rather listen to the mp3 of this album 

Just now, pizza face said:

If you didn't get it yet then dont bother. I just listened to one song and took it off my turntable. I mean I didn't clean it before playing but there's crackling and the same issue still remains from the original pressing. Everytime camron says a word with a s in it it there's a hissing sound. I'd rather listen to the mp3 of this album 

That's call sibilance and yeah it's bad. I guess they did not remaster it for 2018. Good to know!

12 minutes ago, pizza face said:

Thanks for this. I ALMOST picked this up yesterday

On 4/22/2018 at 8:11 AM, merlecakes said:

I definitely was able to add one.  But just gone by the time I tried to pay.

On 4/22/2018 at 8:10 AM, Lugubrious said:

Where they ever available for purchase? No Add to cart button appeared. 

On 4/22/2018 at 8:08 AM, PookdaddyG said:

Yeah, I kept refreshing the page, since there was no place to add the item in my cart. I saw them go from 7, to 3, to 0 before the "sold out" button popped up. 

On 4/22/2018 at 8:06 AM, PookdaddyG said:

https://www.plaidroomrecords.com

Has their stuff up, but the website is a little wonky. I saw Stevens tick away before my very eyes.

I know I'm a few days later here, but just wanted to chime in on the website being wonky (I'm Bob from Colemine and Plaid Room). When we update the back end, it happens in two steps. First, all the add to cart buttons are un-hidden from this page:

https://www.plaidroomrecords.com/collections/rsd2018

This happens almost instantly, as I'm only changing the Shopify collection settings, and individual items aren't really edited.....just the way they're displayed. The second wave of updates takes me between 2-5 minutes to complete. Each item must be individually updated (changing the item template on the Shopify back end) so that it removes the text about it being an RSD item and replaces it with an add to cart button, like the button shown here:

https://www.plaidroomrecords.com/collections/rsd2018/products/b-baby-huey-b-br-i-the-baby-huey-story-the-living-legend-i-1

I've received many comments/inquiries regarding the site. I was actually blown away that the site maintained, Shopify is an incredible platform. I don't remember exact numbers, but there was between 800-1200 folks on the site at 8am, and the page refreshes were something like 4,000 - 10,000 per minute. In the end, I haven't heard any complaints about crashing.....just about folks adding things to their cart that sold out before they could check out. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the platform, and I don't have any great solutions for that. In the end, we got a lot of orders from a lot of folks, and everything was listed at or below retail....so I think a lot of people got stuff they missed out on and didn't have to pay the flipper prices....and that's absolutely always my goal. :-)

Edited by ColemineRecords

Here's a UK Dealer that is getting ready to go online with its RSD leftovers.  They have posted all of their instocks ahead of time at two URL's.  (It's confusing: everything says 'Sold Out' but I think that's because they just aren't available online now.   These are the titles they expect to post online in about one-day-and-8 hours):

https://www.lostinvinyl.org/record-store-day-2018/

https://www.lostinvinyl.org/record-store-day-k/

They have a few scarce titles showing, including Sufjan Stevens, the Run The Jewels box, all 3 Tom Waits, The National, Bass Communion (Steven Wilson), the Wire box set and others.  Only the Jonsi EP from the Sigur Ros set is available.  

Edited by jackshidt
corrected by ExtraFox

I posted this in two places: the Ebay App sale is on for 3 hours:   So, if you buy between $50 and $333 on Ebay now you'll get 15% off your order.   Remember you can build the order on your computer but you must check out through the phone app.

App Exclusive!
15% Off $50+

Today only, until 1pm PT! Share with friends and family. 
Use code PLAN2SAVE

Edited by jackshidt