Most Ridicuous Thing You Saw on RSD?

Saw a guy at the first place I went to buy $700 worth of stuff.  Went to the next store down the road and he was there, his total was another $200 or so.  Crazy to blow almost a grand in records in one day.  I mean, more power to him, but still.  I'm sure he bought more at the other stores in town.

Edited by DiscoJon

The guy in front of my girlfriend and I bought  a fuckton of stuff. Turns out he was just a super-friendly dad and this was his first RSD. He works at a different record store that wasn't participating. Half of what he was buying was non-RSD stuff and he was just happy to be partaking. It was really wholesome in the sea of grody peeps

48 minutes ago, hookedonsonics said:

Prices were OUTTA control this year - sucks, I didn't buy anything as a result

I feel this year was much better than most at least where I went. Most single LPs were $17-22 and I didn’t pay more than $30 for a 2xLP. 

Craziest thing I saw was some lady in the front of the line held it up for 10 minutes because she couldn’t decide what to add or remove from her list then proceeded to yell and curse at the employees because they didn’t get one record in that they thought they would. 

Edited by museummouth

1 hour ago, DiscoJon said:

Saw a guy at the first place I went to buy $700 worth of stuff.  Went to the next store down the road and he was there, his total was another $200 or so.  Crazy to blow almost a grand in records in one day.  I mean, more power to him, but still.  I'm sure he bought more at the other stores in town.

If you listen to a lot of different music, $600  -$1000 is very easy to spend.... especially with the box sets. 

7 minutes ago, museummouth said:

I feel this year was much better than most at least where I went. Most single LPs were $17-22 and I didn’t pay more than $30 for a 2xLP. 

Craziest thing I saw was some lady in the front of the line held it up for 10 minutes because she couldn’t decide what to add or remove from her list then proceeded to yell and curse at the employees because they didn’t get one record in that they thought they would. 

Oof

Curious what store this was at

I've been tempted to shift from my local and hit some philly shops instead 

1 minute ago, museummouth said:

NJ actually. Vintage Vinyl. 

Ha! I was there and I'm happy I missed it. The crowd there is usually pretty mixed. I rolled up at 9:30ish expecting the line to be gone and ended up just sitting in my car for a good half an hour or so before actually hopping on. 

Sufjan was the only questionably priced RSD item for me, this year.  As a 10”, it was just a few bucks shy of what I paid for a double LP.  Other than that, I think the prices were decent.  Based on what I was after, anyway.

Craziest thing I witnessed was an actual crowd at my local record shop, who gobbled up half the releases I was interested in.  I say “crazy” because the shop seemed way more inactive last RSD.  It’s also located in a tiny Northern California town where most customers only buy classic rock reissues, and never give me competition for the “indie shit” I enjoy purchasing.  Clearly I underestimated the demographic this time around.

18 minutes ago, bigdz68 said:

If you listen to a lot of different music, $600  -$1000 is very easy to spend.... especially with the box sets. 

No boxed sets.  It was just, well, random shit it seemed like.  I was behind him in line and got to see.  Picture discs and anything he could get his hands on.  Like I said, more power to him for being able to buy all that stuff,  it just seemed like at some point "why?"  I can't even fathom paying double my rent in records in a 24 hour period.

Edited by DiscoJon

7 minutes ago, ethereal said:

we had a few people camp out 12+ hours and couldn’t even tell us the title(s) they wanted. they had to fiddle with their phones and describe it vaguely.... you don’t know what you’re camping for??? lol

My local store had at least four people camped out at 10am on Friday. That’s crazy.

The most ridiculous thing I saw yesterday was Escape-ism live at Third Man Records in Detroit.  Ian Svenonius is an experience (and I mean this in the best way possible).  The Cass Corridor location had all of their exclusives (including the Sleep album on green) in stock as of 5pm Saturday, which is also ridiculous because I always equated Third Man with the most limited availability of releases.  

2 hours ago, DiscoJon said:

No boxed sets.  It was just, well, random shit it seemed like.  I was behind him in line and got to see.  Picture discs and anything he could get his hands on.  Like I said, more power to him for being able to buy all that stuff,  it just seemed like at some point "why?"  I can't even fathom paying double my rent in records in a 24 hour period.

Gotcha...well that Is completely weird. Maybe he got caught up in the hype and thought all the releases were going to be able to sell on eBay for triple. Haha! 

3 hours ago, DiscoJon said:

Flippin, son.

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I got mad reading that. Rent here is 1650 for a 2/2 lol

That's more than my mortgage, taxes, utilities, and insurance combined. And Portland isn't an inexpensive city to live in.

Mine was 2 older ladies holding a spot in line outside for a younger guy (son/nephew?).  Guy ended up coming 10 minutes before the shop opened and skipped about 30 or so people in line.  I was at the front and was too far up to yell at him, people behind him didn't seem to notice or care.  All 3 proceed to buy all the 'flippable' releases, looking at their phones most of the time, making sure they find the right records to flip.  There were a few rarer releases that the shop only got 3-5 in, and of course all 3 would go and snag em up.   Pieces of shit

Speaking of prices and rents. I pay 1400 for a 1bed  garden apartment and feel like I'm getting a deal. Thus why I need to be stingy on vinyl most of the time.

Was out of town for RSD though, called every single record store in Pittsburgh, not a single one had a copy of the Mac Demarco demos at 10am that day. I was kinda surprised by that. Snagged it online instead.