Matthew Sweet - "Classic" Albums Reissue Campaign

Looks like Matthew Sweet's classic 90s pop trilogy albums - Girlfriend, Altered Beast and 100% Fun - are finally being reissued, along with Son of Altered Beast which is being released for the first time.

I'm guessing this will get wide-spread availability outside of PledgeMusic but that's where they're at for now, along with some merch and signed options:

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/matthew-sweet

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

anyone missed out on the signed 100% funs, they got more up - only 16 left.  Looks like they botched the fulfillment (mailed out signed jackets without the LPs) so i guess they got a few more out there

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/matthew-sweet

Edited by hookedonsonics
forgot link

• 2 months later...

I see that these are starting to trickle out and can now be ordered at https://www.interventionrecords.com/artists/matthew-sweet/ and elsewhere.  Anyone have them and have thoughts on their quality?  I have OPs of everything (except Son of Altered Beast, which was not previously pressed) and the price is a bit steep, but I love these albums and might bite at the bundle if it's worth it.

2 hours ago, tonyfranciosa said:

I have originals of these albums as well and I picked up the reissues. No contest they sound tremendously better. I am selling my originals as we speak. Altered Beast especially works so much better on 2 records.

It’s amazing what a difference there is between records pressed in the era of vinyl-as-an-afterthought when no one cared about mastering and the vinyl was made from recycled plastic cups & the era of vinyl-as-a-main concern when all attention is paid to sound quality.

So many records from the 90s - ironically, many of which are so coveted because of scarcity - probably had no right to be pressed on vinyl in the first place with what little care was given.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 5:46 PM, unknown pleasures said:

It’s amazing what a difference there is between records pressed in the era of vinyl-as-an-afterthought when no one cared about mastering and the vinyl was made from recycled plastic cups & the era of vinyl-as-a-main concern when all attention is paid to sound quality.

So many records from the 90s - ironically, many of which are so coveted because of scarcity - probably had no right to be pressed on vinyl in the first place with what little care was given.

Sadly the "all attention is paid to sound quality" is only true of releases like the ones from intervention Records, Analog Spark, ORG Music, MFSL and Analogue Productions...most of the time the major labels are releasing the exact same sonic shyte as the digital downloads.

I have a few titles from Shane's team at Intervention and they're all AMAZING. From pressing quality to mastering to jacket, just unbelievably great. What a shame this isn't the standard.

2 hours ago, dobyblue said:

Sadly the "all attention is paid to sound quality" is only true of releases like the ones from intervention Records, Analog Spark, ORG Music, MFSL and Analogue Productions...most of the time the major labels are releasing the exact same sonic shyte as the digital downloads.

I have a few titles from Shane's team at Intervention and they're all AMAZING. From pressing quality to mastering to jacket, just unbelievably great. What a shame this isn't the standard.

True, there’s certainly the cash grab reissues with scanned, pixelated jackets mastered using ripped CDs (cough, Plain Recordings, cough) but I think most posters here know which labels to avoid...