Zao Re-issues!

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

I got my copy yesterday, haven't spun it yet but the overall package is pretty nice. Also I never received an email from TH. I could have sworn the clear/gold splatter would look better but it's just kind of meh (though that's just the colorway and what's most important is the sound) 

I hope it sounds good when I can sit down in my comfy chair and give it a good listen.

3 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

I got my copy yesterday, haven't spun it yet but the overall package is pretty nice. Also I never received an email from TH. I could have sworn the clear/gold splatter would look better but it's just kind of meh (though that's just the colorway and what's most important is the sound) 

I hope it sounds good when I can sit down in my comfy chair and give it a good listen.

i found (as expected) the black and green to be much better sounding than the splatter. not that overall it's that much worse, but there is a bit more "noise" on the splatter but that is part of that type of variant anyway and why we usually do NOT do them when it's our own releases

On 7/10/2019 at 10:28 AM, daegor said:

So, how does it sound?

I may be biased since I went through all the hassle of having the new master done, but I think it sounds great. We had to have this pressed at GZ in the czech republic which I am not a fan of. I have never liked the Direct to  Metal cutting they do there and while they DO accept lacquers we had 2 different lacquer cutters refuse to do it if GZ was pressing, so...  it was a bit stressful for us.  This record is technically about 4 minutes too long to comfortably put on one piece of vinyl without some fidelity problems. 

we lucked out in that the song that was going to suffer the most "lesser lights of heaven" being at the end of side 1 has almost no low end in it anyway and is KIND of blown out a bit on the original album. so inner groove distortion on any song, THAT was the one to have it happen, so without even shifting songs around, the song that would have suffered the most from a long cut is the song that kind of didn't matter if it did because, it kind of sounds like that anyway.

the irony is, the very things we don't like about what the DMM cutting process were already built into the record anyway (mostly the lack of Bass frequencies and a little to much brightness on the top end) . So we didn't lose anything by using this process, there is a distinct lack of low end on the record and the high end is bright, so nothing changed. DMM DOES allow a longer/louder cut which can be more forgiving on the Inner Grooves, and that was what we needed more. 

overall (and i can say this objectively since i am not ON the album) i think this master sounds WAY better than the CD/Digital versions, there is actually a lot more clarity to everything without sounding drastically different, and when it matters, the quiet parts really get quiet to allow the loud parts to jump out more. -- the rest of the guys all commented on this when they heard the vinyl so it's not just me. 

43 minutes ago, postsoftcore said:

That’s what I was able to get.

oddly, the pressing changed drastically due to the issues we had. so what happened was enough were pressed to fulfill the pre-orders for now. As it stands the black is the most rare, followed by the green. the splatter, unintentionally, ended up being the most common.

3 hours ago, gretz said:

i found (as expected) the black and green to be much better sounding than the splatter. not that overall it's that much worse, but there is a bit more "noise" on the splatter but that is part of that type of variant anyway and why we usually do NOT do them when it's our own releases

3 hours ago, gretz said:

I may be biased since I went through all the hassle of having the new master done, but I think it sounds great. We had to have this pressed at GZ in the czech republic which I am not a fan of. I have never liked the Direct to  Metal cutting they do there and while they DO accept lacquers we had 2 different lacquer cutters refuse to do it if GZ was pressing, so...  it was a bit stressful for us.  This record is technically about 4 minutes too long to comfortably put on one piece of vinyl without some fidelity problems. 

we lucked out in that the song that was going to suffer the most "lesser lights of heaven" being at the end of side 1 has almost no low end in it anyway and is KIND of blown out a bit on the original album. so inner groove distortion on any song, THAT was the one to have it happen, so without even shifting songs around, the song that would have suffered the most from a long cut is the song that kind of didn't matter if it did because, it kind of sounds like that anyway.

the irony is, the very things we don't like about what the DMM cutting process were already built into the record anyway (mostly the lack of Bass frequencies and a little to much brightness on the top end) . So we didn't lose anything by using this process, there is a distinct lack of low end on the record and the high end is bright, so nothing changed. DMM DOES allow a longer/louder cut which can be more forgiving on the Inner Grooves, and that was what we needed more. 

overall (and i can say this objectively since i am not ON the album) i think this master sounds WAY better than the CD/Digital versions, there is actually a lot more clarity to everything without sounding drastically different, and when it matters, the quiet parts really get quiet to allow the loud parts to jump out more. -- the rest of the guys all commented on this when they heard the vinyl so it's not just me. 

15 minutes ago, gretz said:

oddly, the pressing changed drastically due to the issues we had. so what happened was enough were pressed to fulfill the pre-orders for now. As it stands the black is the most rare, followed by the green. the splatter, unintentionally, ended up being the most common.

Thanks for the continued insight into "how the sausage gets made" Jeff. Overall I think we're all glad that this is behind us now and though faint, there is still a glimmer of hope that the next releases after FoG (and new material of course) will see pressings because I really cannot be the only one that doesn't want to blast "Reveal" at an ungodly volume when that arrives :)

13 hours ago, gretz said:

Thanks for all of the insight Jeff!

Do you happen to know the final pressing numbers?