Zao Re-issues!

56 minutes ago, daegor said:

Thanks for all of the insight Jeff!

Do you happen to know the final pressing numbers?

it's weird. the original pressing was supposed to be 2500 (500 splatter, 1000 green, 1000 black). Due to  weirdness with the license and the hold up. the pressing was split in half. As a result we made sure the preorders were covered with a few extra to deal with returns/damage. so the initial pressing of 1200 ended up being 500 splatter, 400 green, 300 black.  The remaining 1300 contractually have to be pressed within 2 years, so hard to say what happens, there will probably be more black done but we also now have the option of either fulfilling the initial plan or doing other variants.  (there is still the question on if we CAN do that, not sure the actual wording of what is committed too in the license, but i can't imagine WB/Rhino care WHAT the actual vinyl is). Technically everything about the 2nd pressing would be identical and there would be no way to tell if it was from part A or part B by looking at them, so while the black ended up being the rarest for now, it will not stay that way.

2 hours ago, gretz said:

it's weird. the original pressing was supposed to be 2500 (500 splatter, 1000 green, 1000 black). Due to  weirdness with the license and the hold up. the pressing was split in half. As a result we made sure the preorders were covered with a few extra to deal with returns/damage. so the initial pressing of 1200 ended up being 500 splatter, 400 green, 300 black.  The remaining 1300 contractually have to be pressed within 2 years, so hard to say what happens, there will probably be more black done but we also now have the option of either fulfilling the initial plan or doing other variants.  (there is still the question on if we CAN do that, not sure the actual wording of what is committed too in the license, but i can't imagine WB/Rhino care WHAT the actual vinyl is). Technically everything about the 2nd pressing would be identical and there would be no way to tell if it was from part A or part B by looking at them, so while the black ended up being the rarest for now, it will not stay that way.

Ahh I see, that makes sense!

3 hours ago, daegor said:

Ditto, I want Fear so bad, haha

after what we learned on this one, don't know how it's possible without a repeat of this fiasco. the only thing we can think of is a kickstarter type deal for the full amount of the license where if it doesn't fund, it doesn't happen, and nobody is charged until we know the full amount can be handed to the rights owners (which when people see what that amount is will maybe stop giving tragic hero a hard time and realize that they were absolutely bonkers to put their necks on the line to even do funeral in the first place) - hint, the license (not the pressing, the license) is more than was spent to actually make either record in the first place.

I say do a kick starter and see how that goes. We all stuck thru the wait on this one and if the funding can be there in full via kick starter I think us fans would definitely contribute into making it work, even if it's a smaller run of 1000 if possible. 

But honestly... focus on new material first because I'm loving everything that's coming out right now. Can't wait for the new album. 

11 minutes ago, pizza face said:

I say do a kick starter and see how that goes. We all stuck thru the wait on this one and if the funding can be there in full via kick starter I think us fans would definitely contribute into making it work, even if it's a smaller run of 1000 if possible. 

But honestly... focus on new material first because I'm loving everything that's coming out right now. Can't wait for the new album. 

well, we couldn't do a 1000 pressing, the rights holders have a minimum (which needs to be paid 100% up front or they won't release the rights to the pressing plant) so it would be a very large "need to fund" cost. The plus side is, once the deal of splitting the pressing was worked out, the turnaround time was about 2.5-3 months. so if we did a crowd funding thing with a set amount, if people's cards or whatever are charged, the turnaround would be more like a normal pre-order.   We won't hold up new material, have a new album before end of year and a double early next year. no worries there.

Yeah this sounds awesome, I gave  it a spin and listened wearing my headphones. Very little surface noise that I could tell and no pops. 

Also I have to say that it's very cool to hear something new in an album that you've listened to continuously for about 15 years. I was blown away when I heard some snare ghost notes I hadn't heard before. I had a big dumb grin on my face.  I'm so glad this project came to fruition.

10 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

Yeah this sounds awesome, I gave  it a spin and listened wearing my headphones. Very little surface noise that I could tell and no pops. 

Also I have to say that it's very cool to hear something new in an album that you've listened to continuously for about 15 years. I was blown away when I heard some snare ghost notes I hadn't heard before. I had a big dumb grin on my face.  I'm so glad this project came to fruition.

Same... I heard a lot drum hits that I never heard before with the digital files. I was blown away. Can't wait to spin again 

5 hours ago, gretz said:

after what we learned on this one, don't know how it's possible without a repeat of this fiasco. the only thing we can think of is a kickstarter type deal for the full amount of the license where if it doesn't fund, it doesn't happen, and nobody is charged until we know the full amount can be handed to the rights owners (which when people see what that amount is will maybe stop giving tragic hero a hard time and realize that they were absolutely bonkers to put their necks on the line to even do funeral in the first place) - hint, the license (not the pressing, the license) is more than was spent to actually make either record in the first place.

I get it for sure.  For the record I'd definitely be down for a kickstarter type deal.  Have you guys looked that Bandcamp vinyl on demand thing?  It seems to be the most low-risk for both the artist and the fan:  https://bandcamp.com/vinyl

Definitely less direct control when using a service like that though.

And yeah, stoked on new shit, not worth slowing that down at all.

Edited by daegor

11 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

My only criticism of this pressing is that it sounds kind of quiet. I'm quite happy the artwork turned out so well. 

due to the length of the record if it was made any louder it would have distorted everything unfortunately. had the band been thinking of vinyl back then a song probably would have been axed.

just turn it up :)

2 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

^ was just about to post that.

I've never really understood the "too quiet" complaint. Sure, at extremes it can bring up more of the noise floor, but a slightly quieter press is necessary for long run times. Is it that hard to turn the knob on your receiver?

Not hard at all BUT when you do DJ all vinyl it gets a bit annoying having to adjust your master volume for one song when certain things are already set.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:17 AM, gretz said:

due to the length of the record if it was made any louder it would have distorted everything unfortunately. had the band been thinking of vinyl back then a song probably would have been axed.

just turn it up :)

Hey, thanks for the explanation! The TT/receiver I was playing this on initially is low budget so it only goes so loud, and that was my first and only criticism. It turned out great overall.  

On 7/17/2019 at 9:52 AM, throwgncpr said:

^ was just about to post that.

I've never really understood the "too quiet" complaint. Sure, at extremes it can bring up more of the noise floor, but a slightly quieter press is necessary for long run times. Is it that hard to turn the knob on your receiver?

Yes, it is. It only goes so high. So now you know.

Just got my order today. I got multiple variants, shirt, etc. and was supposed to get two clear splatters (one a surprise for a friend). Turns out I got a clear splatter and one that’s just plain clear. I don’t remember seeing a variant of that, and maybe it’s just one of the clear splatter that didn’t get splattered upon, but I’m curious if anyone else noticed this. 

I don't really care that much and it’s kinda cool if it’s a mistaken color, just wondering if it happened to anyone else. 

14 hours ago, UpwardHostility said:

Just got my order today. I got multiple variants, shirt, etc. and was supposed to get two clear splatters (one a surprise for a friend). Turns out I got a clear splatter and one that’s just plain clear. I don’t remember seeing a variant of that, and maybe it’s just one of the clear splatter that didn’t get splattered upon, but I’m curious if anyone else noticed this. 

I don't really care that much and it’s kinda cool if it’s a mistaken color, just wondering if it happened to anyone else. 

all splatters are made by hand. the person running the press literally manually drops the colored splatter pellets on, so they are all different. some have more splatter than others, so yes, this would be an ultra ultra rare version if it has no splatter.