Zao Re-issues!

1 hour ago, INRIhab said:

So there's issues with copies of WBAFBR and the song "March". Does anybody have issues with their copies? Mine sounds fine. But the band addressed the issues as being widespread. 

thanks for mentioning this as i had no idea it was widespread. I thought it might of just been dirty and needed a nice bath. my copy definitely has the issue so  i guess I'll film it and send it to em I guess. 

1 hour ago, dirkrondo said:

thanks for mentioning this as i had no idea it was widespread. I thought it might of just been dirty and needed a nice bath. my copy definitely has the issue so  i guess I'll film it and send it to em I guess. 

Well hopefully the issue isint too widespread. I guess we'll see as copies start arriving in people's hands in the following weeks and the parties involved can offer up a solution to the ones with affected copies.

It's just unfortunate, especially it being such a pivotal album. 

28 minutes ago, ethereal said:

apparently the issue is only on the clear w/ orange/blue variant.

anyone know who we send the vids to and/or where they posted the response?

It's being reported on the orange variant as well (see FB thread below).

Jeff said this regarding reporting the issue:  " take a video of it and send it to [email protected]"

it appears to be "player based"

I was actually one of the people it was affecting. In fact, i gave two copies (an orange and a clear) to Dan Weyandt that were doing it to me, they do not do it for him.

The tests showed nothing (i was not one of the test pressing approvers) and the people that approved the tests have no issues still on production copies.

I can now play them (i tried 10 different copies in various colors) after adjusting my antiskate, and swapping out needles. 

Basically we are dealing with a "borderline" issue at the cutting phase that, while there is nothing inherently wrong with the  press, it IS a master that is going to cause problems with certain setups (based on the issues i am seeing really GREAT turntables are having it as well as cheap ones). if united pressed more, the same issue would be there, if we exchanged copies currently for people, the issue would still be there. 

basically if we do a repress we will have it recut from scratch.

4 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

Thanks for clarifying Jeff. I wondered about that.  Not sure if this is a win or a loss. Hopefully folks aren't having to overcompensate with tracking adjustments.

it's a tough call. if it was IN the vinyl, as in. a problem for everyone across the board, getting united to turn the press back on to make replacements would be a different story. The fact that the same record plays different ways on 2 different players falls under "this cut was on the borderline of playing on every player". If we recut it quieter (which is probably the solution) it would be late 2021 before we had them in hand - based on what we have been told of backups. then, we HAVE to get the originals back from people. not sure what the solution is.

3 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

Out of curiosity, how much did you have to adjust your anti-skate? If pretty minor, that seems reasonable to make that recommendation and move on. If pretty drastic, that's another story.

drastically with the first needle, like 2.5 grams. when i saw the antiskate fixed it i swapped needles and set everything back again, then it was like a .5 adjustment

7 minutes ago, gretz said:

i now have a "better put THIS needle on" needle to check test presses

and don't let Dan be the only guy checking tests! Mr. Reliable Turtable...

I have a middle of the road (Thorens) table with a similarly broken in stylus. Maybe its a Goldilocks set up for touchy records :P

7 minutes ago, gretz said:

i now have a "better put THIS needle on" needle to check test presses

thanks for all the transparency and info - as someone that has experience with plants and issues within production runs, this seems like United has the liability in QA to make sure the issue doesn't replicate on their end (especially when not present in approved TP's).  the fact that the master works fine on certain copies shows there's an issue on United's side with their pressing process - likewise, a locked groove like that is typically due to excess wax in that area on the stamper.  again, i'm no expert but I feel like United is trying to shift blame the mastering engineer when the actual problem is in their court.

ZAO aside, United is pretty notorious for inconsistency in QA across production runs - hopefully they make it right.

23 minutes ago, ethereal said:

thanks for all the transparency and info - as someone that has experience with plants and issues within production runs, this seems like United has the liability in QA to make sure the issue doesn't replicate on their end (especially when not present in approved TP's).  the fact that the master works fine on certain copies shows there's an issue on United's side with their pressing process - likewise, a locked groove like that is typically due to excess wax in that area on the stamper.  again, i'm no expert but I feel like United is trying to shift blame the mastering engineer when the actual problem is in their court.

ZAO aside, United is pretty notorious for inconsistency in QA across production runs - hopefully they make it right.

actually quite the opposite. since there was no issue at the test pressing phase and there are no visible or tactile blemishes on the stamper then it DOES come down to inconsistent cut so the onus is on US. (had we had united CUT it, then it's a different story. If they run another batch off these stampers, we will have the same thing happen because whatever it is, is part of the lacquer that was submitted. the tests were approved by multiple people (as were production copies) so it really is a perfect storm anamoly.