Sign in to follow this  
Fowty Dollaz

Question: New cart, weird sound problem...halp!

Hey VC, searching for this yielded nada, so here goes...

I have a Rega RP1. Today I installed a Rega 2 Bias cart (as part of the Rega performance package). After careful install and callibration, I test played a familiar record using headphones (baby was sleeping). I only hear sound in one ear. :(

Next, I turn the volume down and let listen via speakers. Same issue. Only the left speaker. Convinced I fucked up, I reexamined the connectivity on the cart. Disconnected, reconnected, recallibrated. Same issue. Flipped the wires. Opposite issue. 

Next I fucked with turntable inputs on my receiver and found that if I BARELY plug in the Right input, I get sound from all speakers (headphones or my Polks). 

Point: What the fuck happened?

Update:

I installed the old cartridge and had exactly 0 issues. It works perfectly. Probably means it's a faulty cartridge, right?

I know the connectors to the cartridge are fine and have adjusted all the tracking/ skate possible. 

I should just hook up my Shure M97...

Sounds like something's up with that new cart, I'd definitely try to get that replaced. I've had lots of issues on older turntables with one side or another cutting out, but it was always some kind of issue with the table's wires or connectors, in your case that wouldn't make sense.

Edited by bjorn

On 5/22/2018 at 8:55 AM, bjorn said:

Sounds like something's up with that new cart, I'd definitely try to get that replaced. I've had lots of issues on older turntables with one side or another cutting out, but it was always some kind of issue with the table's wires or connectors, in your case that wouldn't make sense.

Yeah, The Sound Org is hooking me up.

New one should arrive soon.