Seriously?

tokimedo

We have indeed installed this as we see way too many people using add blocking software. This is a free service and all we ask for is people to see google ads. As the community grows so do the costs. VC does cost a decent amount of money each month to run and maintain. Maybe someone has another idea how to pay for the coder, server company and server tech to keep VC running at it best. Ever since we hired a new server tech VC has never been faster and online longer with issues. Sorry again!

6 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

I feel like this is both going to drive people away from the forums as well as keep new people for joining.  If I wasn't already a member, I wouldn't sign up on a forum that made me disable my ad block.

This is probably true.  While the ads are just some simple banner ads, I never go back to websites that ask me to turn adblocker off.  :::shrug:::

The issue is, I switched off my adblocker and I STILL got the pop up and couldn't use the site. Even after removing the Chrome extension completely. I also have a VPN extension, but that wasn't even switched on. Still couldn't access the site. I had to remove the VPN extension completely before I was able to access the site. A polite request not to use an adblocker is fine, but you're crippling the entire site for me. 

I often read the boards but I never made an account so hi everyone!

I switched off my adblocker too and I still get blocked out of the site.

And I totally agree with @Mikizee, a polite request to disable is so much nicer than this agressive popup, that don't even works.

I have multiple browser on my machine for website testing. I tried on firefox, it didn't ask to disable my adblocker.

On 5/19/2018 at 11:42 AM, danny said:

We have indeed installed this as we see way too many people using add blocking software. 

So... since online forums are dying a slow, painful, and predictable death thanks to the advent of sites like Reddit... you're going to willingly drive another nail in the coffin? 

Okay. Good luck? BTW, the term is "ad blocker," not "add blocker."

Signed in incognito to leave this message & won't be visiting the site nearly as much if I see a huge, unclosable pop-up when I try to visit. 

Edited by cannonfunk

I don't get why you guys are having an issue, I disabled my AdBlocker on Firefox and it's literally fine.  It's kinda goofy when they throw a banner add directly under the first topic on the boards....   but I'll take that over the massive re-design they did a year or two ago.  The ads really aren't that bad.  I just ignore them. 

But once you disable AdBlocker and leave it off for this website, there are no issues.  Not sure why you guys are struggling, that's weird

So I 'disbaled' adblock (which was your request) and now 1 in 3 pages get blocked by my work's firewall - not even sure what kind of ads are showing up that would be flagged, but the site is basically unusable at work, which is mostly where I use the site.

@dannyLike others said, you could offer folks to whitelist, or honestly even request small donations in lieu of looking at ads. There are enough regular users here that would pay a small amount per month in order to optimize a smooth ad-free existence rather than suffer through obnoxious ad-filled pages. 

3 minutes ago, Sidney Crosley said:

So I 'disbaled' adblock (which was your request) and now 1 in 3 pages get blocked by my work's firewall - not even sure what kind of ads are showing up that would be flagged, but the site is basically unusable at work, which is mostly where I use the site.

@dannyLike others said, you could offer folks to whitelist, or honestly even request small donations in lieu of looking at ads. There are enough regular users here that would pay a small amount per month in order to optimize a smooth ad-free existence rather than suffer through obnoxious ad-filled pages. 

I mean......  the ads are small though.  I hate ads too, but after a while you forget they're there.  I've seen Deathwish, Discover, and Paypal ads.... weird that your work would block that kinda stuff.  Right now it's a Microsoft ad on this page. 

The only thing that's goofy and kind of annoying is when the ad gets placed between the 1st and 2nd threads on the forum page.  But even then...  eh, it's not that big of a deal.  But if it's meaning that people can't use the site at work (which.... should you be?  lol) then we should find a new solution. 

I wonder if there's a way to customize it so that users who don't want to pay get the ads, but users who DO pay get the ad-free version?

On 5/22/2018 at 10:11 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

I mean......  the ads are small though.  I hate ads too, but after a while you forget they're there.  I've seen Deathwish, Discover, and Paypal ads.... weird that your work would block that kinda stuff.  Right now it's a Microsoft ad on this page. 

The only thing that's goofy and kind of annoying is when the ad gets placed between the 1st and 2nd threads on the forum page.  But even then...  eh, it's not that big of a deal.  But if it's meaning that people can't use the site at work (which.... should you be?  lol) then we should find a new solution. 

I wonder if there's a way to customize it so that users who don't want to pay get the ads, but users who DO pay get the ad-free version?

Not the ones that were forcing mobile browsers into pandemonium with malware redirects. 

15 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

ohhh yeah that's different.  I never go here on my phone.  I hate doing message board stuff with such a small screen. 

I've never had any issues except that, recently. Otherwise, most of what I do is on mobile when it comes to non-work related shit. 

I have now disabled ad block for members only. If you are guest you will have to live with it or become a member! Hope everyone is happy with the new decision. I just want VC to live on no matter the actual costs involved and appreciate everyones support over the years.

Member that are not bothered by the ads we appreciate if you do not use ad blockers, understand if you do. All we care is that VC members are happy! Please send all complains/comments/questions to me! Thanks again everyone!