Phono Pre

Been looking to upgrade to a stand alone; currently using the onboard in my Rotel RA-1570. Rest of my system is Marantz TT-15S1 with Clearaudio Virtuoso and Goldenear Triton 2s. 

Been thinking of...

Musical Surroundings Phenomena II (or Nova II if I find one used due to wanting the battery powered). 

iFi Phono2

Ray Samuels Nighthawk

Thoughts?

I have the original iPhono. It's a slight step up from what's in my Rotel sound-wise, but offers tons of extra adjustments/cartridge flexibility which is probably why I'll hold on to it. Other than that, not really crazy about its design, the little switches are a pain to mess with and not very intuitive. Having cables on both ends can be a little awkward, but I hide mine behind my turntable, seems to be designed with that in mind. That being said, apparently the 2 is even a bit better performance-wise if the hype it to be believed. 

15 hours ago, Tardcore said:

I had a passing interest in the Clearaudio Nano a while ago.  My thought process was that it is likely designed to work well with the entry level Clearaudio tables/carts and hence should suit the Marantz package.

I’m pretty satisfied with the on board phono section in my PM8004 though.

New house; new loud system. I get some background noise at 55ish; would like to be able to listen at 65 for when I'm wanting loud music. Just a little boost needed.

14 hours ago, ajxd said:

New house; new loud system. I get some background noise at 55ish; would like to be able to listen at 65 for when I'm wanting loud music. Just a little boost needed.

You could try any of the Musical Fidelity phono stages, they all get a hell of a lot out of MM (they do a good job with MC as well) but make sure you can try before you buy over a decent listen as they can be a tad bright in some systems. Not sure what price and availability is like your side of the Atlantic but the V90 LPS is an absolute bargain and can be had for not a lot of money here (about £140 new) and performs way above it's price point, if you can find one an old XLPS is always a very good buy, over here anyway a good used one should be around £100 to £150.

Of course if you want to spend some money you can always go for a Musical Fidelity Nu Vista at around £3300 but if that's a little high then there are another 3 or 4 in the range at prices in between.