Oh Sees- Smote Reverser- Aug 17

https://ohsees.bandcamp.com/track/overthrown

Crack the coffers, Oh Sees have spawned another frothy LP of head-destroying psych epics to grok and rock out to. You’ll notice the fresh dollop of organ and keyboard prowess courtesy of “Memory of a Cut Off Head” alum and noted key-stabber Tom Dolas. The Quattrone/Rincon drum-corps polyrhythmic pulse continues to astound and pound in equal measure, buttressed by the nimble fingered bottom end of Sir Tim Hellman the Brave and of course the shred-heaven fret frying of John Dwyer, while Lady Brigid Dawson again graces the wax with her harmonic gifts. Aside from the familiar psych-scorch familiar to soggy pit denizens the world over, there’s a fresh heavy-prog vibe that fits like a worn-in jean jacket comfortably among hairpin metal turns and the familiar but no less horns-worthy guitar fireworks Dwyer’s made his calling card. Perhaps the most notable thing about Smote Reverser is the artistic restlessness underpinning its flights of fancy. Dwyer refuses to repeat himself and for someone with such a hectic release schedule, that stretching of aesthetic borders and omnivorous appetite seems all the more superhuman.

4 hours ago, mellowtooth said:

Did you hear "Orc"? I've been lukewarm on a lot of their releases but "Orc" was seriously something else.

4 hours ago, natenomm said:

I second that. Orc is a straight ripper.

Yeah I liked Orc.

4 hours ago, aopps42 said:

So you aren't a fan of the band, good to know.

Perhaps. I've listened to every album but one, and a few John Dywer records are among my all time favorites. But the majority of them are just okay to me.