R.E.M. - Document on gold vinyl

2 hours ago, timbelmont said:

I signed up for the bizarre text message service in order to pick this up today, but I haven't received anything - any word on this?

Their SOP is to send a daily text with a record suggestion around 3:30 eastern, so I wouldn't be shocked if the texts go out in a couple of hours from now.

1 hour ago, PookdaddyG said:

I figured it was, honestly, so it’s kinda cool to see that it’s already in the mail. REM is one of those bands where I still need to collect most of their works. 

The only readily available one I still need is Out of Time,  which is honestly one of my least favorite of theirs.  After that it's either wait for reissues or track down expensive originals.

18 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

The only readily available one I still need is Out of Time,  which is honestly one of my least favorite of theirs.  After that it's either wait for reissues or track down expensive originals.

Yep. I paid $120 for New Adventures VG+, $80 for Up sealed, $45 for Reveal sealed, $70 for Monster VG+, and $70 for Around the Sun sealed about two years ago. Hopefully they aren't more expensive now.

1 hour ago, swb said:

Yep. I paid $120 for New Adventures VG+, $80 for Up sealed, $45 for Reveal sealed, $70 for Monster VG+, and $70 for Around the Sun sealed about two years ago. Hopefully they aren't more expensive now.

My god. :o

I am glad I grabbed these when they came out.

Just a heads up for “New Adventures..” fans. I was not a big fan of the US pressing. The UK one (Alsdorf) was a nice improvement to my ears.

Got rid of the original US one decades ago, for next to nothing. :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

My god. :o

I am glad I grabbed these when they came out.

Just a heads up for “New Adventures..” fans. I was not a big fan of the US pressing. The UK one (Alsdorf) was a nice improvement to my ears.

Got rid of the original US one decades ago, for next to nothing. :rolleyes:

I passed on two $50 copies of New Adventures cause I thought that was too much. Then a month or two later, they were selling for $100-150 and $120 seemed like a reluctant deal. I also got the UK addition but didn't realize the US one was inferior or less good.

14 minutes ago, swb said:

I passed on two $50 copies of New Adventures cause I thought that was too much. Then a month or two later, they were selling for $100-150 and $120 seemed like a reluctant deal. I also got the UK addition but didn't realize the US one was inferior or less good.

In all fairness, I might have just bought one that did not turn out all that well. Some say no two records sound “exactly” alike.

My original US “Out Of Time” that I bought at Reckless for $10.98 sounds AMAZING. :)

So my expectations were pretty high for it.

6 hours ago, Plarocks said:

In all fairness, I might have just bought one that did not turn out all that well. Some say no two records sound “exactly” alike.

My original US “Out Of Time” that I bought at Reckless for $10.98 sounds AMAZING. :)

So my expectations were pretty high for it.

Huh.  Well, after reading this, I had to bust out my two copies (I have a sealed and an open copy) and check the matrix on my open copy.  Seems that I have at least one US copy and assume the other is as well because it says it was made in the USA anyway.  Just gave it a spin, and it is a tad bit more veiled that I remember it being, but it's no slouch either. 

Now I want a German/EU copy to compare with.  Hmmm...

On 6/2/2018 at 2:23 PM, swb said:

Are you the person on here that has the huge R.E.M. bootleg collection?  I seem to remember someone around these parts posting one at one point.  

11 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Are you the person on here that has the huge R.E.M. bootleg collection?  I seem to remember someone around these parts posting one at one point.  

I don't know if I've posted it on here but I do have a semi-large collection of R.E.M. bootlegs on vinyl. If you or anyone was ever curious about the quality or contents of specific ones, I'd be glad to help answer questions. I own or have owned most of the ones that were listed in the Discogs database. Some are awesome, a lot are terrible quality wise, but they're all pretty interesting as collector's items. I've only ever got rid of 2-the one where the non-Stipe members played some Byrds cover songs live and the Rolling Stones one were so bad I didn't want to hold on to them.

Speaking of, when Discogs stopped allowing bootlegs on the marketplace, it was a huuuuge bummer. I had maybe 6-7 more I wanted to pick up that I was waiting for a better price on and now they're gone. They haven't turned up on eBay or any of the smaller UK/european marketplaces. I was also starting to collect Talking Heads bootlegs when bootlegs were yanked from the marketplace.

Edited by swb

1 hour ago, swb said:

I don't know if I've posted it on here but I do have a semi-large collection of R.E.M. bootlegs on vinyl. If you or anyone was ever curious about the quality or contents of specific ones, I'd be glad to help answer questions. I own or have owned most of the ones that were listed in the Discogs database. Some are awesome, a lot are terrible quality wise, but they're all pretty interesting as collector's items. I've only ever got rid of 2-the one where the non-Stipe members played some Byrds cover songs live and the Rolling Stones one were so bad I didn't want to hold on to them.

Speaking of, when Discogs stopped allowing bootlegs on the marketplace, it was a huuuuge bummer. I had maybe 6-7 more I wanted to pick up that I was waiting for a better price on and now they're gone. They haven't turned up on eBay or any of the smaller UK/european marketplaces. I was also starting to collect Talking Heads bootlegs when bootlegs were yanked from the marketplace.

Oh ok.  I thought someone has posted a fairly decent collection the "Show Your Collection Band or Label" thread.  But now that the search is pretty weak on here I couldn't find it.  

3 hours ago, YouTwo said:

Oh ok.  I thought someone has posted a fairly decent collection the "Show Your Collection Band or Label" thread.  But now that the search is pretty weak on here I couldn't find it.  

That may have been me.  I have (I think?) pretty much every REM bootleg on vinyl that I'm aware of.  I have a few others since I took this pic and a few bootleg 7"s as well.  The only thing I'm itching to get my hands on is the Finest Lunchbox and I can't seem to find a complete set in decent shape and I've been looking for years.

FHgwT5M.jpg

Edited by bungie
added words