R.E.M. - Document on gold vinyl

7 minutes ago, bungie said:

That may have been me.  I have (I think?) pretty much every REM bootleg on vinyl that I'm aware of.  I have a few others since I took this pic and a few bootleg 7"s as well.  The only thing I'm itching to get my hands on is the Finest Lunchbox and I can't seem to find a complete set in decent shape and I've been looking for years.

FHgwT5M.jpg

Damn. I got 44 of the ones pictured and would have some of the rest but early on I decided not to buy bootlegs that feature the same show or recordings in a different package. My white whale is the Drive picture disc with live acoustic recordings.

3 hours ago, swb said:

Damn. I got 44 of the ones pictured and would have some of the rest but early on I decided not to buy bootlegs that feature the same show or recordings in a different package. My white whale is the Drive picture disc with live acoustic recordings.

So...when Discogs started the slow process of killing off bootleg sales, I had a list made up of wants that I went through to finish off in a hurry knowing full well that it was going to be a bitch to get them by other means. 

The Drive pic disc was the last of my wants and they killed boots off before I could snag it!  I eventually stumbled across one on ebay, which was odd, because I'd never seen one listed (and haven't since) and I check REM items on ebay constantly. 

frVI9i3.jpg

And for fun, I thought I'd post this little gem as well.  Another item I've not seen anywhere and can't find any information on either.  An unplayable (it has no grooves) promo pic disc for Murmur.

wlRyEPy.jpg

Edited by bungie
words

2 minutes ago, bungie said:

So...when Discogs started the slow process of killing off bootleg sales, I had a list made up of wants that I went through to finish off in a hurry knowing full well that it was going to be a bitch to get them by other means. 

The Drive pic disc was the last of my wants and they killed boots off before I could snag it!  I eventually stumbled across one on ebay, which was odd, because I'd never seen one listed (and haven't since) and I check REM items on ebay constantly. 

frVI9i3.jpg

And for fun, I thought I'd post this little gem as well.  Another item I've not seen anywhere and can't find any information on either.  An unplayable (it has no grooves) promo pic disc for Murmur.

wlRyEPy.jpg

That's awesome. The only copies I've seen online are the ones that were in Ireland and like Lithuania or something on Discogs. I should have bit the bullet and dropped $60 on one while they were there. How are the tracks? All acoustic yeah?

26 minutes ago, swb said:

That's awesome. The only copies I've seen online are the ones that were in Ireland and like Lithuania or something on Discogs. I should have bit the bullet and dropped $60 on one while they were there. How are the tracks? All acoustic yeah?

It's been awhile since I played it, but IIRC, it's not acoustic.  A few tracks are that are supposed to be (LMR, You Are The Everything, etc) but the rest is electric.  It's by far the best looking picture disc REM bootleg (bright and colorful, but the design is a bit wonky) and actually sounds half decent for a picture disc.  There's silence between the tracks though and has a "you're in the room" sound as if you're at the 40 Watt or something (no idea where this was recorded) with a hundred other people.  BUT the sound is clear and bright and not muffled at all.  Worth the purchase!

13 hours ago, bungie said:

That may have been me.  I have (I think?) pretty much every REM bootleg on vinyl that I'm aware of.  I have a few others since I took this pic and a few bootleg 7"s as well.  The only thing I'm itching to get my hands on is the Finest Lunchbox and I can't seem to find a complete set in decent shape and I've been looking for years.

FHgwT5M.jpg

Yep, that's the picture I remember.  Nice!

14 hours ago, bungie said:

FHgwT5M.jpg

What is the name of the one in the bottom left hand corner, with the grey cover and white lettering?

17 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

What is the name of the one in the bottom left hand corner, with the grey cover and white lettering?

That one is called Pretty Persuasion.  It's the Orlando FL 1989 broadcast.   It's still pretty easy to come by...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R-E-M-Pretty-Persuasion-LIVE-04-30-89-Vinyl-LP-Lmt-Ed-of-500-SEALED-NEW/173343038104?hash=item285c0cda98:g:AeAAAOSwYaFWgAlb

29 minutes ago, bungie said:

My copy arrived today.  Sounds great, looks great!

w8E3kQR.jpg

Good to hear!  Mine looks like it delivered today but I won't be able to listen to it until later tonight.  I had a feeling that's what the color was going to look like.  Much better than the mock up.  

Edited by YouTwo

3 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Just a general question because I'm currently going down a deeper REM rabbit hole.  It seems like REM bootlegs exist are more sought after than other bands.  Why is that?  

I've noticed a big increase in prices over the last 2-3 years for all R.E.M. vinyl. I don't know what happened exactly but I would go to Amoeba in Los Angeles and see R.E.M. bootlegs often for $10-20 (and I bought them all) and there were releases in that range on Discogs. Now, the handful of copies that are for sale are being priced very high (and mostly sitting there unpurchased). Not sure how much scarcity of supply, a reduction in selling space, and a general want for R.E.M. bootlegs plays into all of it but I imagine it's a nice mixture.

On 6/4/2018 at 5:27 PM, bungie said:

FHgwT5M.jpg

Nice looking collection. Going through mine to see what you might not have and came across Documentary and my copy of this: https://www.discogs.com/REM-Roger-Bill-Mike-Pete-Remember-The-Byrds/release/4232752, which I don’t see. It’s not REM exactly, but pretty close. Maybe you’ve added those since. 

My favorite R.E.M. boot is the Bingo Hand Job show(s). 

18 hours ago, bungie said:

That one is called Pretty Persuasion.  It's the Orlando FL 1989 broadcast.   It's still pretty easy to come by...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R-E-M-Pretty-Persuasion-LIVE-04-30-89-Vinyl-LP-Lmt-Ed-of-500-SEALED-NEW/173343038104?hash=item285c0cda98:g:AeAAAOSwYaFWgAlb

Although this was not the boot I was thinking of, I really like this era of the band.

If this is still available when I get paid, I may pick this one up. 

:)

14 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Nice looking collection. Going through mine to see what you might not have and came across Documentary and my copy of this: https://www.discogs.com/REM-Roger-Bill-Mike-Pete-Remember-The-Byrds/release/4232752, which I don’t see. It’s not REM exactly, but pretty close. Maybe you’ve added those since. 

My favorite R.E.M. boot is the Bingo Hand Job show(s). 

You know, I don't have that one because it's not REM.  I mean, it is...mostly...lol!  It's kind of like picking up the Hindu Love Gods stuff or anything else outside of the core of REM: not on the top of my priority list, but definitely on the list.

I have been eyeballing that one though.  I should probably grab a copy before it gets hard to come by.

I do have a copy of Documentary though.  Second row from top, sixth one over.

Edited by bungie
words!

On 6/5/2018 at 6:28 PM, YouTwo said:

Gave this a spin tonight.  My copy has slight warp but it doesn't affect play.  It sounds pretty good.  The bass seems a little lacking but I'm not sure if that's just how this album is mixed or not.  

I received mine yesterday and I just played it today and noticed it skipped on a slight bump. I cleaned it this morning before I played it tonight. How bad does the warp look on yours? I'm wondering if that slight bump/warp is causing the skip. I've had worse warps than this without skipping.

On 6/10/2018 at 3:48 AM, VinylMario said:

I received mine yesterday and I just played it today and noticed it skipped on a slight bump. I cleaned it this morning before I played it tonight. How bad does the warp look on yours? I'm wondering if that slight bump/warp is causing the skip. I've had worse warps than this without skipping.

The warp isn't that bad on mine.  Just enough to notice it and cause a little movement on my tonearm.  It stands out more because it's a heavy vinyl.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:28 PM, YouTwo said:

The bass seems a little lacking but I'm not sure if that's just how this album is mixed or not.  

This would be true to the original Mastering, based on my many years of listening to this album in various formats. It would sound very unnatural (to my ears) if it had a lot of bass. 

Edited by creepy old guy
grammar

On 6/5/2018 at 9:28 PM, YouTwo said:

Gave this a spin tonight.  My copy has slight warp but it doesn't affect play.  It sounds pretty good.  The bass seems a little lacking but I'm not sure if that's just how this album is mixed or not.  

Yup. My OG has always been very “shimmering and bright,” but also very clean. I think this is how the record is supposed to sound.

I really like a lot of “high end” in my sound, so it always sounded appealing to me. :D

Over the course of various records, tapes and CDs, over the years I'd say I've always been struck by how "bright" this album is compared to its chronological neighbors (say, Fables/Pageant/Green), especially if for example I've been listening to Pageant and Fables a lot and then listen to Document.

This one seems about right to me.