PO NOW: Interpol - Marauder

26 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Pitchfork just subtly revealed that their new LP is due August 24. Excited for this as I thought El Pintor was a huge step above their self-titled album.

I just saw that also. 

I havent really been interested in this band in over a decade. They are pretty paint by number post punk these days. I hope they maybe try and expand a little

1 minute ago, youspinmeround said:

I havent really been interested in this band in over a decade. They are pretty paint by number post punk these days. I hope they maybe try and expand a little

I feel like their chance of sonic expansion left when Carlos D departed. The current trio seems pretty comfortable sticking with the post punk formula but maybe they surprise here...

I would agree about them changing things up if they hadn't released the self-titled record. I actually think that was their timid attempt at mixing things up. The songs were darker and dryer with less immediate flourishes/gimmicks propping them up. It also wasn't very interesting or good. El Pintor went back to the old formula of booming production, silly self-serious lyrics, and predictable Interpol guitar flourishes and, despite diminishing returns, it was a fun, energetic record. I agree that it's all the same (minus self-titled) but I don't know if they are a band that you want experimenting outside of their zone.

Edited by mintplusplus

5 minutes ago, mintplusplus said:

but I don't know if they are a band that you want experimenting outside of their zone.

I do wish post-OLTA that they would have kept down that path - they introduced some things there that were a bit more interesting and cinematic in that album IMO. But agreed, self-titled just wasn't executed well. Just a depressing listen, really, so I'm not surprised they pressed the 'restart' button.

Their self-titled isn't nearly as bad as people say. If anything, it would have been much worse with Carlos still in the mix - he apparently wanted to use more synths and keys on the record, and the rest of the band essentially re-wrote the whole thing once he decided to leave. In an interview a few years ago, Carlos mentioned that when he heard the record for the first time, he couldn't recognize any of it because so much of it had changed. 

I'm all for his bass lines and he had so many great ones when he was in the band, but I think the balance between the rhythm section and Kessler's guitar is really what makes them stick out nowadays.

Excited for this. 

Edited by rabbitvinyl

I still listen to albums #1 / #2 frequently, I'm kinda addicted to the sounds there. It seems album #2 is a bit underrated for the fact that it was surrounded by expectations with the sucess #1 got. But unfortunately, each time they went ahead and tried to experiment, it felt that it just wasn't their cup of tea, they weren't at their best (S/T and the Julian Plenty solo albums). They are pretty good at doing that dark, post punk songs and that does for me.

18 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

So you’re thinking it’s just gonna be this red variant and then a standard retail? Can’t find anything saying the red is limited. 

2 minutes ago, ejc625 said:

So you’re thinking it’s just gonna be this red variant and then a standard retail? Can’t find anything saying the red is limited. 

If I had to guess. Either that or retail is red as well. For the white copies of El Pintor I don’t know if they ever described it as limited.

2 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Was the White El Pintor exclusive to to their website?  I remember that's where I bought but I can't remember how exclusive it was.  

It was available elsewhere. Some Indies and webshops carried it I believe. The only thing exclusive to the band store last time was a screen print.