PO NOW: Interpol - Marauder

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, rcafilm said:

New single: Number 10.

Great intro but I'm not really digging Paul's vocals on this one, feels a little weird.

What's weird about it? His voice has been like this for awhile now, especially in his solo stuff and the Banks & Steelz record. Even The Rover has a similar feel! 
I'm not a fan of the overly-distorted vocals though, if that's what you mean? It all sounds too mashed together. Overall not a terrible song, but not great either - Rover was more fun. 

1 hour ago, rabbitvinyl said:

What's weird about it? His voice has been like this for awhile now, especially in his solo stuff and the Banks & Steelz record. Even The Rover has a similar feel! 
I'm not a fan of the overly-distorted vocals though, if that's what you mean? It all sounds too mashed together. Overall not a terrible song, but not great either - Rover was more fun. 

Not really his voice, more how his vocals are being used as an instrument in the song. I think "messy" does feel fairly accurate. His vocals on The Rover are very complementary, whereas here they feel like they're kinda working against the other instruments.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the first two tracks and the closer. Still unlocking the middle chunk, which I think I mostly dig outside of an irrational repulsion I have to the faux-jaunty track 3. Plenty of reviews praise that track so I know I'm not necessarily in the majority with that one but I still can't really get into the song.

2 minutes ago, swb said:

I really like the first two tracks and the closer. Still unlocking the middle chunk, which I think I mostly dig outside of an irrational repulsion I have to the faux-jaunty track 3. Plenty of reviews praise that track so I know I'm not necessarily in the majority with that one but I still can't really get into the song.

I really like Complications (track 3), one of my favorites. Love the guitar melody throughout. LP starts strong but fades for me.

Overall I like the album and feel like I'll revisit it more than El Pintor, but my biggest complaint is the production. There's just this tinny sound throughout that makes everything sound samey and flat to me. To be honest I've loathed all of their production (and a lot of Paul's vox) post-OLTA so this album just feels par for the course as this point in time.

8 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

To be honest I've loathed all of their production (and a lot of Paul's vox) post-OLTA so this album just feels par for the course as this point in time.

I feel the same way. It always seems like Paul is straining his voice now, and I miss a lot of the dynamics they used to have in the rhythm section (who doesn't?!). As much as I applaud Paul for taking on bass duties in recording their last two records, there's just no real memorable bass lines anymore. Although it seems like Sam has stepped up in the drumming department lately. Really moves the whole band forward and last time I saw them live, he was absolutely flawless in chugging them along. The drumming on "Party's Over" and "Stay in Touch" is really great, lots of variety compared to some of the other tracks. 

I think them being a trio doesn't help whoever is on production duty because there's a lot less to work with when it's just the three of them in a room. They seem pretty set in their own way of writing songs, and less willing to try and move outside that comfort zone. This is fine, and will please longtime fans more than anything - but I just wish they took more risks with this album. I also really miss the long, experimental and really moving outros they used to do on songs like PDA. Flight of Fancy has a hint of it but just doesn't have the same effect in the end. 

I also don't understand why there are two interludes, with one coming right before the last track on the album and providing no context to the song. I feel like they could've easily been left off the record or just included as intros/outros like the beginning of "Number 10". 

All in all, I wish they'd get Peter Katis back on production duty.

First half is solid, second half is uninspired. Lacks of depth.

I agree that production / mastering made listening a bit painful. Would perhaps sound better and more enjoyable if they opted for more "natural" sound. But that kind of compression isn't new for the band and was my main complaint about "El Pintor". Other than that, got me a bit frustrated 'cause "The Rover" set things in a pretty promising way but we ended up getting a bland result. Not that surprising since the departure of Carlos D. That guy was the driving force behind their best records.

On 8/28/2018 at 12:59 PM, rickker said:

My red copy definitely has this issue. Wonder if Matador will take any action if we reach out...

When I contacted Matador they said color vinyl usually tends to be worse than black and said no one reached out to them about the defect which is total BS.  

So it seems a lot of people are having good luck with their translucent and cream vinyl but the opaque is a messed up one.

Sucks.  I'm going to ask for a refund/return and just buy the cream.  Maybe enough of us complain they'll print out another batch with the issue removed?

On 8/28/2018 at 12:41 PM, gazzo said:

no problem with the euro press no

Translucent right?

On 8/28/2018 at 12:20 PM, lethalenforcer said:

Tons of people on Discogs are saying the red copies are awful. The translucent red EU copies may be better.

I think the Interpol website was also giving translucents?