Turntables

I have a Technics SL 1700, the home version of the famous SL 1200. I bought it (along with a tuner and tape deck) for $100 at a garage sale. After $50 of work to fix a short in one of the cables it is perfect.

By the way, if you need a turntable repaired, I know a guy in Boulder that is great and cheap.

yeah, i can't believe i ever listened to records on any other table.

this brings up an interesting point.... i always try to suggest to people getting into vinyl that they DON'T get a dj table. unless of course they are trying to get into djing. but for home use, dj tables seem unnecessary and a poor choice. you won't need any of the extra frills. also, dj cartridges and tone arms are built to be extremely robust and sturdy and heavy, to allow for scratching, and to "override" certain imperfections in the vinyl (slight scratches), but as a result they end up exposing your vinyl to extra wear and eventually start to dig their own grooves and degrade the sound quality of your records. which can be hazardous to "softer" kinds of vinyl in the long run.

yeah, i can't believe i ever listened to records on any other table.

this brings up an interesting point.... i always try to suggest to people getting into vinyl that they DON'T get a dj table. unless of course they are trying to get into djing. but for home use, dj tables seem unnecessary and a poor choice. you won't need any of the extra frills. also, dj cartridges and tone arms are built to be extremely robust and sturdy and heavy, to allow for scratching, and to "override" certain imperfections in the vinyl (slight scratches), but as a result they end up exposing your vinyl to extra wear and eventually start to dig their own grooves and degrade the sound quality of your records. which can be hazardous to "softer" kinds of vinyl in the long run.

I also remember hearing somehwere that if you're ripping your vinyl to a computer a belt drive isoaltes noise a lot better than a direct drive.

• 8 years later...

I spin on "The AR Turntable". Absolutely love it. Early 80s model with a suspended subchassis (so the platter and tonearm assembly are connected and rest on springs beneath the plinth). This thing is virtually immune to vibrations, bumps, or even heavy footsteps on the wooden floors around it.

R3VM9Dil.jpg