[PO] Nothing - Dance On the Blacktop

23 minutes ago, The Butcha said:

The vocals are trash. It really bums me out. 

I don’t mind how they sound off-key but literally the whole song is significantly quieter than anything else on Spotify.  It even sounds scratchy towards the end like I downloaded some shitty version off Napster.  Even if sounds like that on the album, I’m sure I’ll get over it.  But I don’t understand how someone could listen to that & think it’s doing itself any favors.

The track has a very 90s sound - style and production. Something that could use a remaster. Not a bad song, but certainly not compelling enough for a pre-order in my book. I'm only a casual Nothing fan though. Only have Tired of Tomorrow, which I really like. Purchased a used color variant at a local shop last year.

Cover art is pretty dull. As mentioned, the fact it's a mask makes it more interesting but it's too subtle at a quick glance.

Also not a fan of the album title, personally.

But all that said, I look forward to streaming the album when it's out.

27 minutes ago, jeromium said:

The track has a very 90s sound - style and production. Something that could use a remaster. Not a bad song, but certainly not compelling enough for a pre-order in my book. I'm only a casual Nothing fan though. Only have Tired of Tomorrow, which I really like. Purchased a used color variant at a local shop last year.

Cover art is pretty dull. As mentioned, the fact it's a mask makes it more interesting but it's too subtle at a quick glance.

Also not a fan of the album title, personally.

But all that said, I look forward to streaming the album when it's out.

The 90s sounding Siamese dream meets Slowdive is why I love the track I think.

The cover art flat out sucks.

8 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I just couldn't get into anything they did before ToT but the new songs slaps.

That's what the kids are saying, right? Slaps?

It sure is a bop. It makes me want to rock around the clock

I’m actually not familiar with them so I thought I would check out the new song today and 100% pass on the bad recording quality. I know some people do that stylistically but there are 100% some great records that are unlistenable because of intentional recording quality in my book. 

13 minutes ago, MayCauseDeath said:

I’m actually not familiar with them so I thought I would check out the new song today and 100% pass on the bad recording quality. I know some people do that stylistically but there are 100% some great records that are unlistenable because of intentional recording quality in my book. 

100%

3 hours ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

Sounds very much like the Jack Shirley production on the last Whirr album. I listened to Press right after Zero Day and they're pretty close imo. I dig the track it's loud as fuck.

This is actually my favorite nothing song in a while if not ever tbh (:huh:). I don't understand the hate, this is shoegazey as dreams all fuck. I'm incredibly surprised, I went in wanting to dislike it after reading the comments.

32 minutes ago, EGsynergy said:

This is actually my favorite nothing song in a while if not ever tbh (:huh:). I don't understand the hate, this is shoegazey as dreams all fuck. I'm incredibly surprised, I went in wanting to dislike it after reading the comments.

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed the song, not sure where all the hate is coming from. My tastes seem to differ from some folks on this site often enough that I'm not surprise though.

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed the song, not sure where all the hate is coming from. My tastes seem to differ from some folks on this site often enough that I'm not surprise though.

thank fuck some positive reactions are coming in, that last page was depressing. Loving the song and the production, and this is coming from someone who's loved all their output since Poshlost (though I didn't hop on until GoE.) My favorite release by them switches from Guilty to Tired based on the day, I loved the Yip touch on Tired, made tracks like Fever Queen, ACD, and Vertigo flowers shimmer and shine on another level... That, and Curse of the Sun exists, period. But then there's the claustrophobic filth of Get Well, B&E, Dig, etc, and I honestly cant pick a favorite with any consistency...

Though if I had to pick based on sentiment it would be Tired. So many great, accessible tracks, I was able to get a lot of people into them with that album, and I even trekked to Philly from Baltimore to get a tattoo at the place where the band gets their work done on release day. Fuck a unique record, I got a unique tattoo from release day.

Nicky has never been a great singer though so idk where all the criticism stems from. Hard drugs and touring do a number on yr vocal cords. Plus Brandon does half the singing live anyway.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

13 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

What is PIAS and where can they be found to purchase from?

Is vinyl me please a subscriber only thing?

PIAS is Play It Again Sam: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIAS_Recordings

VMP is member only initially but  I think the exclusives are open to everyone after 1 month - depends if you think it will last a month in the store. I remember Tired of Tomorrow lasted quite a while but I think it was out of 500 rather than 200.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:23 AM, CatsNJazz said:

This one is produced by John Agnello

On 6/5/2018 at 10:04 AM, drds89 said:

You mean the "Yip" effect? ;)

Posted yesterday at 08:31 AM

zero day marks a nice return to form for Nothing, really glad they ditched the ToT production style."

Ethereal was referring to ToT, produced by Will Yip. 

Edited by drds89

Zero Day doesn't slap and if you like the ignominious production by Agnello then, perhaps, you can get slapped. Also, totally agree that since very little production went into his vocals they stick out like a sore thumb. Out of key and very, very weak. They need multi-tracking, reverb and minor auto-tuning to sound ethereal, etc. But, I GET IT. They want to come across like a slacker 90s alt-rock band with tinny sounding guitars and lazy vocals. Kinda sounds a bit like Swervedriver without a budget. Listen, I am sure the rest of the songs will be great, but this shouldn't have been the single. It gives most of us a weak impression of what to expect.