[PO] Nothing - Dance On the Blacktop

15 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Zero Day doesn't slap and if you like the ignominious production by Agnello then, perhaps, you can get slapped. Also, totally agree that since very little production went into his vocals they stick out like a sore thumb. Out of key and very, very weak. They need multi-tracking, reverb and minor auto-tuning to sound ethereal, etc. But, I GET IT. They want to come across like a slacker 90s alt-rock band with tinny sounding guitars and lazy vocals. Kinda sounds a bit like Swervedriver without a budget. Listen, I am sure the rest of the songs will be great, but this shouldn't have been the single. It gives most of us a weak impression of what to expect.

Opinions, my dude. You're welcome to yours as I am to mine. I don't mind the production, wish there was a little more low end, but overall don't hate anything about the song and it's droney in a good way to me.

Song is meh to mediocre on the GAPEY scale. Doesn't gape, doesn't even penetrate....but perhaps it makes minor skin-to-skin contact ala fondling/caressing or maybe even "dryhumping". At any rate, there's a hole and it most certainly is a goal, but it's just barely out of reach for the Philly outfit. Shoegaze devolves into nu-gaze which now becomes no-gaze and, in turn, means no-gape. 

-Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

31 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Song is meh to mediocre on the GAPEY scale. Doesn't gape, doesn't even penetrate....but perhaps it makes minor skin-to-skin contact ala fondling/caressing or maybe even "dryhumping". At any rate, there's a hole and it most certainly is a goal, but it's just barely out of reach for the Philly outfit. Shoegaze devolves into nu-gaze which now becomes no-gaze and, in turn, means no-gape. 

-Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

29 minutes ago, jrodan said:

i just wish i knew @tetsuodaironman's opinion on this new Nothing song. 

I'm gonna have to agree with good ol' Petey on this one.

21 minutes ago, creepy old guy said:

Remember when Vinyl used to be about the music.

Now it's bloody ridiculous.

Why exactly does it bother people when there's a bunch of variants?  Like, how does it take away from the music? Legitimately curious because yeah it's excessive, but what is the specific reason it's not about the music? I could see it annoying variant collectors, but they weren't variant collecting "about the music" to begin with.

28 minutes ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

Why exactly does it bother people when there's a bunch of variants?  Like, how does it take away from the music? Legitimately curious because yeah it's excessive, but what is the specific reason it's not about the music? I could see it annoying variant collectors, but they weren't variant collecting "about the music" to begin with.

I just think it's ridiculous they call a white record 'White Chrysantheum' or 'Flesh Inside Plastic with Brunette, Lipstick, and Mascara Splatter' then in parentheses (Bone white inside clear with brown,  blood red , and black splatter) like why not just call it what it is? It's the marketing nonsense that people fall for I guess, cause relapse knows not everyone who buys the fancy colors buys them for 'the music'. I try not to get bothered about things other people do but it's hard to overlook the ridiculousness here

Edited by CatsNJazz

41 minutes ago, CatsNJazz said:

I just think it's ridiculous they call a white record 'White Chrysantheum' or 'Flesh Inside Plastic with Brunette, Lipstick, and Mascara Splatter' then in parentheses (Bone white inside clear with brown,  blood red , and black splatter) like why not just call it what it is? It's the marketing nonsense that people fall for I guess, cause relapse knows not everyone who buys the fancy colors buys them for 'the music'. I try not to get bothered about things other people do but it's hard to overlook the ridiculousness here

Eh. If they want to call the colors names that fit with the cover art it doesn't bother me. I don't think anyone looked at that and was like, "damn, good thing this is flesh inside plastic with lipstick, brunette, and mascara, I'd never have bought something boring like white inside clear with red, black, and brown splatter. Whew, close call."

Let them have fun with it. It doesn't hurt anyone and you always have the option to buy plain old black since they didn't change the name on that one at all.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage
I think autocorrect edited out my Oxford commas. Fuck that shit.

12 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Let them have fun with it. It doesn't hurt anyone...

Only seems to be hurting the entitled elitist hardcore record collector purists who will adamantly argue on the superiority of 180gram vinyl when played on their shitty Crosleys. 

Maybe? 

21 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Only seems to be hurting the entitled elitist hardcore record collector purists who will adamantly argue on the superiority of 180gram vinyl when played on their shitty Crosleys. 

Maybe? 

Seems accurate.

I just can't fathom why people get so upset when a band gives them 1) a standard black record for "purists" 2) a million variants for people who care more about the aesthetic than the music. 3) plenty of choices for people who both enjoy the music, and like a pretty looking record.

And if you don't dig the music or the production on that music...don't buy it. Right? Seems simple enough. Maybe saves you a little money for a record you do like the production on. We're all so caught up in this ridiculous FOMO culture, that nobody stops and asks themselves if they really want something sometimes.

I get that people want to talk about how the record sounds and I'm totally down for that, but some folks seem to be getting riled up to a point that is ridiculous.

And I get it, it sucks when a band changes their sound or puts out something you don't like, but maybe some folks dig it, and who cares if they do? I've been bummed about plenty of bands changing things up, but I just didn't grab those records, or I waited until they dropped low in price and picked one up if I was adamant about keeping a discography complete.

Gape and let gape I say. To each their own. Salud.

Also...fuckin...:

665.jpg

Chill.

17 minutes ago, paynegretzky said:

I really enjoy the track - it reminds me a little bit of July the 4th from the Nothing/Whirr split with the guitar riffs, tone and washy vocals.

That's easily my most favorite song they've ever done. Along with "Last Day in Bouville".