[PO] Nothing - Dance On the Blacktop

They go all in on the fuzz on this one, not many quiet parts like Tired Of Tomorrow.Us/We/Are and Wind Me Up stood out the most to me but the album was pretty good as a whole. Still gonna wait to order though since there's 10+ variants to choose from, I'll probably just get whatever ends up being cheapest in a couple months

Tired of Tomorrow was produced and written in a way that was supposed to make it as ethereal as possible - this new release seems to be the antithesis to that approach. The whole instrumental and vocal delivery is a lot more relentless now, you can basically imagine them thinking "fuck it, let's just do it this way" while recording. To everyone that does not want to listen: if you hated Zero Day, that is not going to be the only moment on the album that will put you off at first. I am confident though that it will sink in with most people, and there's probably not many bands that could pull it off like this.

29 minutes ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

Bring on the dirty

It really is way dirtier and less hook driven than ToT. I’m digging it so far. It reminds me most of guilty of everything, except instead of building into pummeling climaxes, the album is full throttle walls of sound 90% of the time. Need a few listens to let it sink in, but I’m confident it’ll sit nicely in their discography and the songs will be killer live 

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

43 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

It really is way dirtier and less hook driven than ToT. I’m digging it so far. It reminds me most of guilty of everything, except instead of building into pummeling climaxes, the album is full throttle walls of sound 90% of the time. Need a few listens to let it sink in, but I’m confident it’ll sit nicely in their discography and the songs will be killer live 

I'm excited. Both singles have pleased me greatly I've been in a 90s wall of sound mood for like 2 months now so that's a plus. New Ovlov and now this is enough to please any fan of that sound.

5 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Everytime I have seen this band live its just a wall of noise and nearly impossible to distinguish what they are playing. That was cool when they first came out but at this point I would like to be able for the live show to resemble songs a bit

11 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

Everytime I have seen this band live its just a wall of noise and nearly impossible to distinguish what they are playing. That was cool when they first came out but at this point I would like to be able for the live show to resemble songs a bit

Highly disagree, they’ve definitely quieted down over the years and a recurring theme is people yelling at them to go louder. I’ve always loved their live sound. Nicky gets drowned out but that’s not what I go for anyway. But maybe different venues different sounds.

2 hours ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

Thank christ they figured out how to sequence an album again. That back half slog of ToT is completely gone in favor of one long slow burner as the penultimate track with bangers all around. Pleased after my first listen.

As much as I love this album, I realized the same exact thing. It just kind of... dies slowly.

Listened probably 10 times at work today.   I have to say it does grow on you, but not quickly enough imo.  Some songs are amazing and catch my attention while others are easily lost in the shuffle.  I do love how they used way more fuzz in the guitars and going more of a "Grunge" route opposed to the shoegaze/dreampop realm.  They definitely touch on all areas but I think the Alice in Chains and Dino Jr in them is coming out.  

8 hours ago, Skacel said:

VMP exclusive details:

Nothing - Dance on the Blacktop Lipstick Red Vinyl, LTD. to 200 Copies $22 8/22

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k_288l5ozu_cF3Cvj9-ERKjTCb-a3_uJ5lpKoD6Yqp4/edit#gid=2113899580

Are you a member?  Can you snag one for me?  I got an extra transparent cover variant I can trade for it 

56 minutes ago, gazedandconfused said:

Are you a member?  Can you snag one for me?  I got an extra transparent cover variant I can trade for it 

I am a member but it’s one per account and it’s on my list of gets this month. I am in UK anyway so you’d be better getting someone US based to hook you up (assuming you’re in the US...)

I think the exclusives usually go to general sale after a month so it might last that long in the store. Either that or try the VMP forum. Some kind soul over there might be able to help.

15 hours ago, Skacel said:

I am a member but it’s one per account and it’s on my list of gets this month. I am in UK anyway so you’d be better getting someone US based to hook you up (assuming you’re in the US...)

I think the exclusives usually go to general sale after a month so it might last that long in the store. Either that or try the VMP forum. Some kind soul over there might be able to help.

If I were to join now could I just pick that one or is it random?

1 hour ago, gazedandconfused said:

If I were to join now could I just pick that one or is it random?

VMP has 3 different subscriptions (or tracks): Essentials, Classics and Rap & Hip Hop. When you sign up you pick a subscription and you will receive the associated record of the month: https://app.vinylmeplease.com/records_of_the_month

The Nothing record will be in the member's store and you will be able to purchase it on the drop date once you are a member.

They used to do a $10 referral bonus but it looks like is deactivated just now.

Depending on how badly you want the record you may be able to wait until the exclusives are open for general sale. The last Nothing record didn't sell out straight away although it was /500.