PO: Coheed and Cambria — Vaxis – Act I: The Unheavenly Creatures (Oct 5)

1 hour ago, Ishtar said:

I have to say, I always take what fowty says with a grain of salt since it seems like he'd lick Claudio's sweaty butthole after a show and say it tastes good...but this album is solid. There are only 2 or 3 songs that I really dislike, and all the rest are pretty darn good. I'd still put it behind everything else up through NWFT, but it'll definitely get multiple listens in the coming weeks.

In 100% honesty, I wouldn't, but I understand my biased opinion. I'll never say an album is bangin' if it sucks. This is one of my "taking nostalgia out of the equation" favorite Coheed albums. There are a couple that are okay and a LOT of repetition in songs, but I think this album is phenomenal.

3 hours ago, jhulud said:

I have received the LP from the band. The box set arrived today. And I still haven’t listened to a single note of the new record. Plenty of reasons for my lack of motivation to do so. 

I keep going back to it throughout my week at work. It’s good. Much better than Afterman and that other album they released last. 

Just received both tiger's eye and red marble yesterday.  beautiful i must say. Just finished listening and im impressed. I'd already listened to it on spotifyand was kinda disappointed, but after hearing it on vinyl and reading the cover and sleeves, i had a different experience! Like ishtar and others said, there's a couple weak tracks. But it's still a strong record.  if you still haven't bought this yet, the Tiger eye is much nicer looking!

Toys, True Ugly, It Walks Among Us, The Dark Sentencer and The Gutter are definitely my favorite tracks.  I LOVE the harmony in It Walks Among Us.  There still isn't a single song I want to skip though.  If there's a least favorite song, it's actually the last one Lucky Stars.

1 hour ago, Andthejets27 said:

So, any particular pressing of this sound better than another? Or are they all good?

I have only listened to the CD and the Unheavenly Colorway. Both sound great. Vinyl plays pretty noiselessly, and I've heard no complaints of the other two. Of those, I prefer the look of the Tiger Eye variant, but it probably sounds pretty identical.

22 minutes ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Toys, True Ugly, It Walks Among Us, The Dark Sentencer and The Gutter are definitely my favorite tracks.  I LOVE the harmony in It Walks Among Us.  There still isn't a single song I want to skip though.  If there's a least favorite song, it's actually the last one Lucky Stars.

Toys was by far my least favorite, and Lucky Stars is what it is, but I kind of expected a slower tune at the end, so it didn't turn me off as much as it would have mid-sequence.

I'm realizing now going through it again that Toys was really the big turnoff for me, so that's good that it is really only one song that I dislike. I'll probably listen to this more than I honestly expected to.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, THE_James_Champ said:

See, I was just making a joke. But your opinion means so very little to me in the long run, soooooo

See, I was just making a joke too – being that some Coheed still resides on my record shelf, after years of pruning nostalgic junk – but I didn’t get hostile about it.  In the end I don’t care if you or this fanbase’s tastes are stuck for the worst.  One man’s uninspired, cheesy trash prog-pop is another man’s treasure. 🙄  Embrace it.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

See, I was just making a joke too – being that some Coheed still resides on my record shelf, after years of pruning nostalgic junk – but I didn’t get hostile about it.  In the end I don’t care if you or this fanbase’s tastes are stuck for the worst.  One man’s uninspired, cheesy trash prog-pop is another man’s treasure. 🙄  Embrace it.

I wasn't hostile. That was just regular ole me. 

4 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

I think you’re both kind of prickly chodes and that’s part of the fun

You can be a real asshole from what I’ve seen in the past - though nothing that compares to me on a bad day - but I’m not used to seeing James get feisty so it’s throwing me for a loop.  Maybe I just don’t follow enough of the same threads he posts in.

Just now, Derek™ said:

You can be a real asshole from what I’ve seen in the past - though nothing that compares to me on a bad day - but I’m not used to seeing James get feisty so it’s throwing me for a loop.  Maybe I just don’t follow enough of the same threads he posts in.

I said nothing of my own prickliness now did I? In total agreement with you there hahaha. I love VC for the petty bullshit one day and everyone rejoicing in a new thread for an exciting release the next. 

Just now, holyvacantsholyhell said:

I said nothing of my own prickliness now did I? In total agreement with you there hahaha. I love VC for the petty bullshit one day and everyone rejoicing in a new thread for an exciting release the next. 

Yeah that’s true.  I don’t keep track of “beefs” or who’s upvoting me one day and at my throat the next, because I tend to not keep track of that for others.  Way too much work.  I’m sure some people may take it personal but it feels like the ebb and flow of an online community that’s more lax than uptight and I’m quite okay with that.