Duster | Official reissues | Numero Group

1 hour ago, swb said:

I just checked my account tab on the Numero site and it shows this shipped on 3/6 for me. They normally upload tracking in that account page but no tracking for this order. Excited to have it pop up sometime in the next week!

Crucial update. It was delivered to my PO Box today. Weirdly fast for media mail. Check your boxes if you ordered this.

Bump for appreciation, and hype for those still waiting on their copies.

While this boxset doesn’t have the heft of something like Numero’s Codeine or Bedhead box, it’s still kind of perfect.  I know it’s an odd thing to remark on, but the general flat, matte texture of the package is so fitting.  It’s solid, feels just the right amount of dated, and plays into the noisy “lo-fi” vibe that’s a staple of Duster’s sound.  Jackets are quality but also straight to the point, not unlike the band’s discography.  It would’ve been weird to house each album in an unnecessarily wide gatefold, and have everything high gloss or overly polished.  If I had to nitpick at anything, it’s that I wish the booklet was actually a bit larger and hard-cover, like an actual book.  Hardly a qualm though, I’m super impressed and pleased to own a copy of this set.

19 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

How is the sound/pressing?

Don’t think I’ll be able to flip this for $300 if I play it, so I can’t weigh in there.

I’ve only sat down with the box and opened it up to verify I got a colored set, since there’s nothing to signify the limited edition on the packaging.  Ensured I didn’t get any duplicate LPs, etc.  Nothing seemed warped or faulty from what I can tell so far.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Bump for appreciation, and hype for those still waiting on their copies.

While this boxset doesn’t have the heft of something like Numero’s Codeine or Bedhead box, it’s still kind of perfect.  I know it’s an odd thing to remark on, but the general flat, matte texture of the package is so fitting.  It’s solid, feels just the right amount of dated, and plays into the noisy “lo-fi” vibe that’s a staple of Duster’s sound.  Jackets are quality but also straight to the point, not unlike the band’s discography.  It would’ve been weird to house each album in an unnecessarily wide gatefold, and have everything high gloss or overly polished.  If I had to nitpick at anything, it’s that I wish the booklet was actually a bit larger and hard-cover, like an actual book.  Hardly a qualm though, I’m super impressed and pleased to own a copy of this set.

i am a bit concerned about the "lo-fi" packaging, as one of my sleeves came damaged under the shrinkwrap. perhaps more concerning, it seems very likely that taking the sleeves in and out of the box will cause a lot of edge and corner wear. defeats the purpose of the box if you can't store the pertinent records in it. but i don't have anything against storing them individually in poly sleeves at the end of the day. stoked to have this, and the moon dust variant looks so sick!

9 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

i am a bit concerned about the "lo-fi" packaging, as one of my sleeves came damaged under the shrinkwrap. perhaps more concerning, it seems very likely that taking the sleeves in and out of the box will cause a lot of edge and corner wear. defeats the purpose of the box if you can't store the pertinent records in it. but i don't have anything against storing them individually in poly sleeves at the end of the day. stoked to have this, and the moon dust variant looks so sick!

Damaged under the shrink?  Damn.  With the way mine was packaged, I figure there’d be virtually no wear’n’tear for anyone who ordered through Numero.  Are you talking about a seam split?  Regarding the storage of the discs, I’ve been making it a ritual to slip new LPs into MoFi sleeves, and ddin’t even think about addressing it in my last post.  I never trust any kind of thick cardboard sleeve.  It’s my luck that I’d catch the edge at just the wrong angle and scuff my record.  I also get more satisfaction than I probably should when removing or inserting vinyl into a fresh MoFi sleeve.

15 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Damaged under the shrink?  Damn.  With the way mine was packaged, I figure there’d be virtually no wear’n’tear for anyone who ordered through Numero.  Are you talking about a seam split?  Regarding the storage of the discs, I’ve been making it a ritual to slip new LPs into MoFi sleeves, and ddin’t even think about addressing it in my last post.  I never trust any kind of thick cardboard sleeve.  It’s my luck that I’d catch the edge at just the wrong angle and scuff my record.  I also get more satisfaction than I probably should when removing or inserting vinyl into a fresh MoFi sleeve.

oddly enough, it's not a seam split, though it's on the spine. looks more like a generic tear. visually/aesthetically annoying than anything else, probably something Numero can replace for me easily enough.

and are you using MoFi outer sleeves that will allow you to house the records in the box, or will you keep them outside of it, separate? 

Full disclosure: I don't have the best ear for picking up the small differences between a good and an amazing pressing, so, I'd have to pass the question about mastering along to another user who does. I can tell when something sounds really bad (distortion at high volumes, 'flat' with no highs/lows, surface noise on the record itself, etc) but there have been CD sourced pressings of records that people say are unlistenable and I think they sound totally fine, hence my caveat.

Not sure where it was pressed. I don't think it mentions it on the jackets and the run out groove I checked only has a digital etching of the Numero catalogue number and some random numbers. No initials or pressing plant abbreviations that I saw.

This set is fucking beautiful. Chipboard sleeves are gorgeous. The box has an awesome texture and and layout. Vinyl color matches perfectly with the moon theme. And it sounds impeccable. I have OGs besides the 7”s and this sounds so perfect. Quiet and dynamic. One of the best sets I own and on par with the codeine numero group box. 

Also got a kick out of how the Up records logo was reappropriated with the NG for numero group. 

Edited by jrodan

I got the black vinyl, and the corners of all four outer jackets are bent up. Strangely, these were facing outward and the outer box doesn't have any damage at all. It's as if they were damaged before being placed into the box.

PvYp69u.jpg

It's not a huge deal to me, as I intend on listening to these a lot and I didn't buy them to flip or as an investment; I'll be curious to see if others are damaged as well. Returning them would be a bigger hassle than it'd be worth.

Funny enough, I ordered the White Zombie box from them back when they were selling "damaged" versions with the white vinyl for next to nothing, and it was less damaged than this.

Edited by jason202