PO: Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit: Live From The Ryman

Love me some Isbell, and a fantastic live performer to boot, but not sure how totally essential this will be. I loved Live from Alabama in part because it merged some of his best Drive By Truckers songs with some old album classics and covers. It's kind of nice that there won't be any repeated songs, but also I would have loved a couple of different tracks (though I have to say, when he plays Cover Me Up live, it is one of the most powerful songs I've ever seen performed).

Wonder how limited Gold will be?

This is going to slay...I feel like I've listened to Southeastern front to back once every 2 weeks since it dropped in 2013. Loving The Nashville Sound and Something More Than Free as well. Can't wait for October. 

Edit: Just saw the track listing for this. Definitely excited, but WHY is Super 8 on there. I don't know, but I just can not stand that song. I think it just doesn't fit on Southeastern and I skip it every time. 

Edited by Tamubro

22 minutes ago, Dub said:

In for a gold, but I'm generally not a fan of live albums unless its a full document of one show warts and all.  I also find "primarily recorded" to be curious.  Still, can't get enough of Isbell and will eagerly lap this up.

I saw that too, "primarily recorded." Are we thinking not all songs were recorded Live at the Ryman? 

Edited by Tamubro

I know he put out a live record and a live ep  from the era already, but I’m getting the feeling, outside of his DBT songs and only a couple of other songs, he’s purposely ignoring his catalog from before Southeastern. Which is a crap move. 

Edited by timsimmons

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The gold vinyl pressing is limited to 5000 at this time.  That's how many they initially pressed.  They have yet to see the need to press any more gold. The green vinyl pressing however, is limited to 3000 units and is almost sold out everywhere.  A few indie sites still have some left at the time of this posting.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 1:32 PM, tatom said:

Got this in the mail today, beautiful packaging. 

The packaging is gorgeous! Really nice die cut cover.

Is it just me, or is the mix on this a little wonky? Seems to be some slap delay on the drums?? That was an odd choice. I'm only a couple cuts in, we'll see how it grows on me.

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy turned me on to Isbell a couple weeks ago when we recorded an episode over their latest album—been hooked ever since! I’d seen the band before, but never really took the time to listen to them seriously. Hopefully I’ll find the time to dive into his Drive By Truckers stint. Either way, after looking at the track list,  I’m going to have to pick this up! Pretty cool it ends with “If We Were Vampires”.

16 hours ago, PookdaddyG said:

My buddy turned me on to Isbell a couple weeks ago when we recorded an episode over their latest album—been hooked ever since! I’d seen the band before, but never really took the time to listen to them seriously. Hopefully I’ll find the time to dive into his Drive By Truckers stint. Either way, after looking at the track list,  I’m going to have to pick this up! Pretty cool it ends with “If We Were Vampires”.

Isbell has a phenomenal back catalogue. His songs during his time in DBT were among the best DBT songs there are (I used to think I loved DBT but really only ever listened to the Isbell songs without realizing it). Southeastern is one of his biggest, but I really believe he still has his 'best' album yet to come. He's becoming a more impressive songwriter and bandleader, and each of his albums is filled with some great tracks. The Live at the Ryman is great because it compliments his previous live Album Live From Alabama, with zero overlap. 

Also fun: following Isbell on FB or Twitter, where he writes socially progressive things  that upset his more conservative fans who never really listened to his lyrics...

3 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

Isbell has a phenomenal back catalogue. His songs during his time in DBT were among the best DBT songs there are (I used to think I loved DBT but really only ever listened to the Isbell songs without realizing it). Southeastern is one of his biggest, but I really believe he still has his 'best' album yet to come. He's becoming a more impressive songwriter and bandleader, and each of his albums is filled with some great tracks. The Live at the Ryman is great because it compliments his previous live Album Live From Alabama, with zero overlap. 

Also fun: following Isbell on FB or Twitter, where he writes socially progressive things  that upset his more conservative fans who never really listened to his lyrics...

Couldn't say it better myself. He, and the 400 Unit for that matter, have some phenomenal interviews. Some of the more interesting tracks on the album are when he tries to break himself from the typical country mold. I've found the time to listen to Southeastern, but still need to crack into the DBT discography!