PO Now: Death Cab for Cutie - Thank You For Today - August 17

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I don't love it. He's just complaining about what all of us are living every day, and not in a particularly novel way. Granted, I didn't love the last few albums either.

Agreed. Haven’t really liked much of their output since Plans - which was 13 years ago.

45 minutes ago, Skacel said:

Agreed. Haven’t really liked much of their output since Plans - which was 13 years ago.

It's weird to think it was that long ago!

I actually really loved Narrow Stairs though. It has probably three or four of my top ten Death Cab songs on it.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

Would love to see a unique variant instead of clear, but I'll take it. Dug the last album but Gold Rush isn't sitting so well with me. 

7 hours ago, YouTwo said:

Thanks for the link! $2 cheaper than DCFC's site is pretty good, and I hear Bullmoose is great.

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

It's weird to think it was that long ago!

I actually really loved Narrow Stairs though. It has probably three or four of my top ten Death Cab songs on it.

I think their discography starts great, gets better, becomes amazing, peaking with Plans and slowly stars going downhill thereafter. Plans is amazing, right? I really like most of Narrow Stairs. But Codes and Keys is like a 2 out of 5 stars. Then Kintsugi isn't anything I vibe with.

Cannot believe plans is 13 years old! I remember falling in love with that album on my first play through! Start to finish that album is incredible. Haven't really listened to much after Narrow Stairs, nothing really stuck, narrow stairs wasn't that great either but Cath. Is easily the best song on that album!

1 hour ago, somethingvinyl said:

I think their discography starts great, gets better, becomes amazing, peaking with Plans and slowly stars going downhill thereafter. Plans is amazing, right? I really like most of Narrow Stairs. But Codes and Keys is like a 2 out of 5 stars. Then Kintsugi isn't anything I vibe with.

I would even go so far as to say...I don't think I've ever listened to all of Codes and Keys and still think it's garbage.

Definitely agree with you.

This is coming from a fan who's seen the band so many times over the last...almost two decades (holy shit!) and loved every one of their albums except Codes & Keys...

First off: the album art is terrible.  Like, really, really bad. What the fuck were they thinking? 
And the single is crap. Sounds way too muddy through my headphones (LCD 2.2s, in case anyone blames it on shitty equipment). The production is all over the place, feels very 90s-pop and I'm really not a fan of the chanting song name thing. Comment/person above is totally right in saying that Gibbard's voice is lost in all this noise, which has always been one of the band's strengths. Bleh. Not good. Super disappointing after reading everywhere that this would be their "return to form" post-Walla. 

WHAT IS THAT ARTWORK?!?!?! 

8 hours ago, rabbitvinyl said:

This is coming from a fan who's seen the band so many times over the last...almost two decades (holy shit!) and loved every one of their albums except Codes & Keys...

First off: the album art is terrible.  Like, really, really bad. What the fuck were they thinking? 
And the single is crap. Sounds way too muddy through my headphones (LCD 2.2s, in case anyone blames it on shitty equipment). The production is all over the place, feels very 90s-pop and I'm really not a fan of the chanting song name thing. Comment/person above is totally right in saying that Gibbard's voice is lost in all this noise, which has always been one of the band's strengths. Bleh. Not good. Super disappointing after reading everywhere that this would be their "return to form" post-Walla. 

You're gonna love this album next month

calling it right now

Dig the single more than anything off Kingtusgi, album didn't do it for me.

Snagged this from Bull Moose. Grabbed a bluray I've been eyeballing to get above $30 and get free shipping. Excited to hear the entire record. So far no tour dates anywhere near me, but crossing my fingers for Toronto or something close-ish. 

On 6/14/2018 at 1:26 AM, rabbitvinyl said:

I've seen a lot worse. This artwork is pretty inoffensive and looks like it was put together in 2 minutes or less. But I can't see getting upset about it. It's not like the new Nothing album or that abomination on A Perfect Circle's latest. 

The song is pretty bad though. Maybe my least favorite Death Cab song yet.