PO Now: Nas - Nasir

11 minutes ago, Mourning Wood said:

So you’re  saying that if a musician is, say, a wife-beaters, a Nazi, a member of KKK, etc., if you liked the music, your cool with that? Wow.

I don't like Kanye but your comparison is horrible and you should feel bad. He's crazy not evil.

25 minutes ago, Mourning Wood said:

So you’re  saying that if a musician is, say, a wife-beaters, a Nazi, a member of KKK, etc., if you liked the music, your cool with that? Wow.

Dooooo...you listen to: The Beatles (Lennon beat his wife), Chuck Berry (violent, videotaped women in his restaurant's bathroom, transported a 14 year old across state lines to have sex with her), Elvis (young girls), CeeLo (rape, his views on consent), Cake (drummer is a convicted pedo), Rolling Stones (young girls again), Miles Davis (abuser), The Smiths (Morrissey is pretty much a racist asshole), James Brown (abuser), Bowie (14 year old girl[in his 30s], former fascist).

Pretty much all worse than supporting a idiot president that nearly half the country voted for.

7 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

Dooooo...you listen to: The Beatles (Lennon beat his wife), Chuck Berry (violent, videotaped women in his restaurant's bathroom, transported a 14 year old across state lines to have sex with her), Elvis (young girls), CeeLo (rape, his views on consent), Cake (drummer is a convicted pedo)

...wait, what? Cake?

*quickly googles*

Aw shit, man. Shit shit shit. It's almost as bad as the lostprophets guy. Except with a band I kinda sorta like sometimes.

Not to mention Michael Jackson, R Kelly, all that stuff. And the Brand New guy.

8 minutes ago, Mourning Wood said:

So everyone here also thinks it was wrong to cancel the Roseanne show, because what she does or says as a person is one thing and the show was a separate matter? 

That is not relevant to what I originally stated at all. If Roseanne said she supported Trump does that mean all her democratic liberal fans can no longer enjoy her show? No, that's fucking stupid 

3 minutes ago, Mourning Wood said:

So everyone here also thinks it was wrong to cancel the Roseanne show, because what she does or says as a person is one thing and the show was a separate matter? 

Not necessarily. I think what most people are getting at is they still might be able to enjoy the show itself, regardless of how ignorant she is in real life. Might not be a great example though, as I doubt there are many Nas/Kanye fans who watch Roseanne.

46 minutes ago, Mourning Wood said:

Roseanne shoulda been a little smarter. Given the 'political climate' of valuable entertainment figures being toppled in public for past actions with swift and painful consequences, tweeting some racist shit wasn't very bright. You can't cancel Roseanne because she's racist - you can, as a company, choose to distance yourself from what is publicly tainted and of now questionable profitability. It's a good idea now. But you can still watch Roseanne and not be a supporter of racism.

1 hour ago, Mourning Wood said:

I think people should be able to say whatever they want as long as they realize they'll have to suffer the consequences of whatever they say.

Typically though, people in the groups you brought up are very different than someone who supports our government or specific people therein.

It's shitty that she said those things, but it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of seeing John Goodman on TV again, so if that show had been at all well written I would have continued watching it. I stopped prior to the whole Twitter thing though be ause it seemed like no one bothered to even learn their lines.

Edited by Ishtar

22 minutes ago, HoneyFrosted said:

Given the 'political climate' of valuable entertainment figures being toppled in public for past actions with swift and painful consequences

By 'Political Climate' You mean the bullshit Social Justice Warrior Hive Mind of 2018 that prevents anybody from being able to form their own opinions about art, because music media/social media says that Kanye West is a bad person for supporting Trump, now they are afraid to have an opinion differs from the political views of certain groups of people, and they can't even think to listen to someone who has opposing political views because their head is so far up their ass?

11 minutes ago, CatsNJazz said:

By 'Political Climate' You mean the bullshit Social Justice Warrior Hive Mind of 2018 that prevents anybody from being able to form their own opinions about art, because music media/social media says that Kanye West is a bad person for supporting Trump, now they are afraid to have an opinion differs from the political views of certain groups of people, and they can't even think to listen to someone who has opposing political views because their head is so far up their ass?

Nah. That's not what I meant.

I meant Cosby, Weinstein, Louis C.K. Careers ruined at the drop of a hat. Anyone in showbiz smart enough is keeping their racism to themselves. Whatever you want to call it is fine. EDIT: I realize those are all sex-related while Roseanne's is not, but it still had the same backlash.

Roseanne wasn't fired for having an 'opposing political view'.

Edited by HoneyFrosted

13 minutes ago, HoneyFrosted said:

Nah. That's not what I meant.

I meant Cosby, Weinstein, Louis C.K. Careers ruined at the drop of a hat. Anyone in showbiz smart enough is keeping their racism to themselves. Whatever you want to call it is fine. EDIT: I realize those are all sex-related while Roseanne's is not, but it still had the same backlash.

Roseanne wasn't fired for having an 'opposing political view'.

That's understandable, but my original argument in this thread was strictly about how one user on here said 'anything kanye works on should be considered garbage, because he supports trump', then he switched his argument to abusive/racist celebrities, pretty much putting them all in the same boat, and ignoring his own original argument, then he again switched it to focus on Roseanne, which is completely irrelevant to the debate I'm having, which is now the 'Hive Mind' thing I was referring to, cause homie is losing the battle and is clinging to whatever nonsense he thinks will support his bogus claim of 'anything kanye related is now garbage', but I've put enough energy into this pointless battle so I'll see myself out, I'm just trying to enlighten some folks on being able to think for themselves, cause it seems like a lot of people on the internet are struggling with that these days. But yeah, new Nas album, it's good, and I'm not letting the fact kanye produced it sway my opinion on it because he has different political views from my own :)

In the minds of a lot of people around the world supporting Trump is thought of as being as bad if not worse than being some random wife beater, Nazi, Klansman, racist tweeter or reddit user.

Outside of the world of Fox News, Trump is widely regarded as a racist and an enabler of racists, a misogynist and a man who said any number of totally crude and indefensible things on the way to becoming president. Supporting Trump is saying “I’m ok with all that.” Kanye is ok with all that, apparently. Also, the thing where Kanye  said that African Americans are responsible or partly responsible for slavery is beyond dumb and moves into being dangerous. 

It seems like people are wondering if Kanye should be punished in some way, made an example of in some way, for having these ideas that are way outside the mainstream (supporting Trump is outside the mainstream.) should his art be rejected and denigrated simply because he has come out in favor of the Trump atrocity? A lot of people think yes, it should. But what if he gets a pass? What does that mean? What even worse thing could come of that?

20 minutes ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

I dunno if it's cuz I'm not the target audience but I think this is the worst of the 4 produced so far. Nas' vocals are way too loud in the mix too. There's a few good tracks but I don't see myself trying to listen to it more than one or two more times.

I think ye is the worst produced album. I haven't listened to Nasir yet in my good headphones, but in the car I think Nasir sounds really well mixed. However, I really dislike Mike Dean's engineering, and I'm never satisfied with his work. He's a great producer/musician though. 

42 minutes ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

I dunno if it's cuz I'm not the target audience but I think this is the worst of the 4 produced so far. Nas' vocals are way too loud in the mix too. There's a few good tracks but I don't see myself trying to listen to it more than one or two more times.

I really like the production on a few tracks but I'm not used to Nas' vocals and I'm trying to see if it's gonna grow on me. It's definitely bod bad at all though. 

47 minutes ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

I think the production is minimal and mixed low because Nas is going in on the verses and he wanted everything to be heard clearly. That's just my impression though

2 hours ago, CatsNJazz said:

That's understandable, but my original argument in this thread was strictly about how one user on here said 'anything kanye works on should be considered garbage, because he supports trump', then he switched his argument to abusive/racist celebrities, pretty much putting them all in the same boat, and ignoring his own original argument, then he again switched it to focus on Roseanne, which is completely irrelevant to the debate I'm having, which is now the 'Hive Mind' thing I was referring to, cause homie is losing the battle and is clinging to whatever nonsense he thinks will support his bogus claim of 'anything kanye related is now garbage', but I've put enough energy into this pointless battle so I'll see myself out, I'm just trying to enlighten some folks on being able to think for themselves, cause it seems like a lot of people on the internet are struggling with that these days. But yeah, new Nas album, it's good, and I'm not letting the fact kanye produced it sway my opinion on it because he has different political views from my own :)

I think it's just one guy in here even arguing the opposite side. You may have just misread or misunderstood what other people are saying.

Besides, choosing one thing about a person and then refusing to give them a say/chance/merit is about as fascist/prejudiced as it gets, @Mourning Wood can talk his bullshit elsewhere. Just ignore him.