Tom Petty - The Live Anthology 7xLP box set repress/warehouse find

34 minutes ago, bootbox said:

I ordered from Bullmoose on the 26th and haven't received a shipping email yet. Gotta love buying from 'mom and pop' shops.

Bullmoose and all the other places are still waiting to receive their stock from whatever distributor found these extra copies. Looks like Music Direct got their stock in today so you should hear something from Bullmoose in the next few days.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:35 PM, bootbox said:

I ordered from Bullmoose on the 26th and haven't received a shipping email yet. Gotta love buying from 'mom and pop' shops.

Looks like I might have jumped the gun complaining. While they never did send a shipping email, they shipped it 2 day priority and it got here this morning.

Saw this on the Bullmoose Twitter Feed (via Billy Fields @billysezvinyl) :

Hey Friends! We re-pressed this outstanding Live Anthology by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. These are freshly produced using the same mastering as the original pressing. The ONLY difference (marketing sticker not withstanding) is the weight of the LPs. The original pressing was 180 Gram. This pressing is 140 Gram. As mentioned, the current marketing sticker is incorrect! Hey, look, a “collectible!” #tompetty#tompettyandtheheartbreakers#liveanthology #repress @wbr@repriserecs #vinylmistakes #soundsgreat#themoreyouknow

16 hours ago, Capt Kewl said:

Saw this on the Bullmoose Twitter Feed (via Billy Fields @billysezvinyl) :

I’m glad they are re pressing it but I wish it would have been 180 gram. I’m a quality-aholic so it’ll always bug me that a better version exists... oh well, at least I own the vinyl now! 

I find this repress/warehouse find kinda shady. 

1. Soundstage first announced it as a warehouse find from the 180g 2009 issue. They have now changed the description to 140g and removed "warehouse find"(after I had placed my order)

2. Bullmoose announce that the 2018 pressing is the same as the original pressing from 2009. 

3. Music direct announce 140g 2018 repress.

4. Elusive disc annouce: Limited to 2500 copies! 
180g Vinyl 7LP Box Set!
Pressed at Pallas in Germany!
Mastered at Bernie Grundman Studios!

Featured as one of the 'Records to Die For' in the February 2011 issue of Stereophile!

5. Acoustic sounds announce it as 180g.

So, what to believe, is it a reissue or a repress and how many was pressed this time?

I just received my issue from importcds.com today and it weighed in at 2,6kg which is exactly the same as my original bought in 2010, so it looks to be 180g vinyl.

It`s also quite strange that there haven`t been any statements from the record company, The heartbreakers or other officials about this reissue, that would be a great announcement to do if you ask me.

It seems like Warner is "promoting" and selling this repress directly to vendors as a distributor and not promoting and selling it direct to the customer, so there'd be no need for a promo campaign to announce the repress. It'd be the vendors' job to promote this new product they're buying from Warner. Whether some sites sincerely thought this was a repress or whether they were engaging in some sly marketing tactics is unknown. Weight wise, it's supposed to be 140 grams but it's possible there is variation and some copies might come close to 180. A lot simpler of a release/repress if you just ignore all the speculation and go by what the dude from Warner shared on Instagram.

7 minutes ago, just a normal guy kevin said:

Whether some sites sincerely thought this was a repress or whether they were engaging in some sly marketing tactics is unknown. 

The fact that they promoted the original as "this will never be repressed" is probably grounds for a false advertising legal claim. I would imagine that they're keeping it quiet for a reason.

16 hours ago, cannonfunk said:

The fact that they promoted the original as "this will never be repressed" is probably grounds for a false advertising legal claim. I would imagine that they're keeping it quiet for a reason.

...Jesus Christ 2018 vinyl collecting is the worst.

Putting the drama, mystery, and reactions to the drama and mystery aside, the actual set is pretty outstanding. I usually have zero interest in the books included on stuff like this but I had a great time reading some of those essays and reading Petty's track by track notes. I'm through 4 of the 7 records and I've thoroughly enjoyed every second so far. I'm even contemplating labeling this my overall favorite release I own...

Edited by swb

Just now, DjMo said:

I find this repress/warehouse find kinda shady. 

1. Soundstage first announced it as a warehouse find from the 180g 2009 issue. They have now changed the description to 140g and removed "warehouse find"(after I had placed my order)

2. Bullmoose announce that the 2018 pressing is the same as the original pressing from 2009. 

3. Music direct announce 140g 2018 repress.

4. Elusive disc annouce: Limited to 2500 copies! 
180g Vinyl 7LP Box Set!
Pressed at Pallas in Germany!
Mastered at Bernie Grundman Studios!

Featured as one of the 'Records to Die For' in the February 2011 issue of Stereophile!

5. Acoustic sounds announce it as 180g.

So, what to believe, is it a reissue or a repress and how many was pressed this time?

I just received my issue from importcds.com today and it weighed in at 2,6kg which is exactly the same as my original bought in 2010, so it looks to be 180g vinyl.

It`s also quite strange that there haven`t been any statements from the record company, The heartbreakers or other officials about this reissue, that would be a great announcement to do if you ask me.

2018 unboxing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSsEaX3wQHk

Edited by DjMo