Tom Petty - The Live Anthology 7xLP box set repress/warehouse find

On 7/6/2018 at 2:53 PM, jerseypride said:

Vol. 2 of the Album Box Set is in stock at music direct. $220.99 shipped with promo code: 4th15

https://www.musicdirect.com/vinyl/tom-petty-the-complete-studio-albums-vol-2-180g-vinyl-12lp-box-set

This frustrates me.  The only decent album (relatively speaking) is Wildflowers.  I'd rather put the $220 towards an original.  The rest of the albums after are really lower half Petty albums. 

This is clearly a controversial opinion, but Wildflowers might be my least favorite Petty album (outside of You Don't Know How it Feels, which is a top tier song)

Also, not sure how true this is (because this is the first I've read it) but that item description says the OG Wildflowers was mastered from digital, but the one in the box set was mastered from analog.

i havent looked at mine in depth but is there any 2018 mark anywhere on it? if not, i wonder if this isnt just part of the original run that didnt make it out. I also question whether this is 140g or if they just mistakenly said that. i sincerely doubt they are worried about false advertising claims w/r/t a repress, but perhaps would be worried about the perception of "losing" or holding on to a few thousand copies of this gem.

1 hour ago, shamrocks said:

i havent looked at mine in depth but is there any 2018 mark anywhere on it? if not, i wonder if this isnt just part of the original run that didnt make it out. I also question whether this is 140g or if they just mistakenly said that. i sincerely doubt they are worried about false advertising claims w/r/t a repress, but perhaps would be worried about the perception of "losing" or holding on to a few thousand copies of this gem.

If you disregard everything the main vinyl dude at Warner has publicly said, it's possible. :)

4 hours ago, whosnotwo said:

This frustrates me.  The only decent album (relatively speaking) is Wildflowers.  I'd rather put the $220 towards an original.  The rest of the albums after are really lower half Petty albums. 

Can you hold out for the 4LP deluxe version of Wildflowers that is coming next year?

Petty channel on sirius XM let the cat out of the bag. New box set. “Tom Petty: An American Treasure”. 4 CD set of unreleased recordings out Sep 28.  Googled it and found a listing on warner Australia. 

Havent seen anything about an LP version. 

https://store.warnermusic.com.au/products/an-american-treasure-super-deluxe-4cd-box-set

Edit: Looks like they took the page down. Was 60 tracks I believe. 

Edited by webdoggy

36 minutes ago, webdoggy said:

Petty channel on sirius XM let the cat out of the bag. New box set. “Tom Petty: An American Treasure”. 4 CD set of unreleased recordings out Sep 28.  Googled it and found a listing on warner Australia. 

Havent seen anything about an LP version. 

https://store.warnermusic.com.au/products/an-american-treasure-super-deluxe-4cd-box-set

Edit: Looks like they took the page down. Was 60 tracks I believe. 

Good heads up!

Here’s an article. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2018/music/news/tom-petty-boxed-set-of-unreleased-music-coming-in-september-1202869884/amp/

2 minutes ago, Velocity of Sound said:

For what it’s worth, the track listing certainly didn’t have an extra albums worth of Wildflowers era material. Would assume/hope the Wildflowers stuff is still coming at a later time. 

The 'Live Anthology" box is out-of-stock at Amazon now, and prices are rising rapidly.

CCmusic.com still lists this box in stock at $124 (and coupon code "JUNE20" still works to reduce price by 20%.  The current code "JULY20" does not work for some reason.)

EDIT:  I just had a private message that said CCMusic does not list the LP as available anymore.  I bought one earlier this morning and have a confirmation of the order.  Sorry about that ...

Edited by jackshidt
EDIT:

1 hour ago, jackshidt said:

The 'Live Anthology" box is out-of-stock at Amazon now, and prices are rising rapidly.

CCmusic.com still lists this box in stock at $124 (and coupon code "JUNE20" still works to reduce price by 20%.  The current code "JULY20" does not work for some reason.)

EDIT:  I just had a private message that said CCMusic does not list the LP as available anymore.  I bought one earlier this morning and have a confirmation of the order.  Sorry about that ...

Still in stock at music direct and bullmoose.

5 hours ago, webdoggy said:

Many of these tracks could end up being unreleased for a reason but I'm riding the goodwill Petty's team and Warner have earned from the job they did on The Live Anthology and buying this.

1 minute ago, swb said:

Many of these tracks could end up being unreleased for a reason but I'm riding the goodwill Petty's team and Warner have earned from the job they did on The Live Anthology and buying this.

Most of them are just alternate takes or live recordings anyway it looks like to me.  Not sure Petty ever recorded a bad song though.  Will be great regardless, IMO.

On 7/8/2018 at 11:07 AM, whosnotwo said:

The entire box set sounds amazing, including She's The One.

As far as Wildflowers go, the one in the box is far better than the original. Although Wildflowers was recorded in analog, the first press was digital, the new one in the box is AAA (all analog) and blows the original away.  Not even a contest, and it would be a waste to spend $200+ on the original, when you can get the whole box for the same price.

Yes the box is $600+ on Discogs, but I still see it, brand new, sitting on the shelf in some shops for retail price.