PO NOW: Tides of Man- Every Nothing

16 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I'll ask and find out the story on the 50 additional copies.  I really want to see another picture of that variant before I order; they're all still in stock.  My thought was that the bone would likely sound the best?  Although I think the clear splatter is my favorite-looking. 

Still gotta stream this... haven't had time!

Picked up one of the extra 50.  Streamed it today, it's pretty much amazing.

It gets better with each listen.  The last few songs are epic af.

I like when bands make an album that reminds me of other albums that left me underwhelmed & gives me what I was looking for on those.

For example, “New Futures” gives me vibes of ITTCT’s “Berlin”, which always felt like a song ITTCT never quite knew how to properly flesh out.  But Tides kills it here.  And “Outside Ourselves” is everything Maybeshewill’s “Fair Youth” wishes it was.

I also love “Static Hymn”, “Old 88”, “Everything is Fine...”, & “Death...”.  I think the other songs will grow on me more over time as well. 

Y & C was far “poppier” with instantly catchy riffs/melodies but this album has a dark lush sound to it that takes a bit to catch on.  Sounds like a far more mature album.

Edited by mrewest

13 minutes ago, V3XED said:

For whatever reason this one isn't really clicking with me. 
And I am a big fan of instrumental groups. 

Maybe ill shelf it and come back around in a few months.
Sounds like everyone else is head over heels for it

It's quite literally the most boring post-rock album I've checked out in the last few months.  Opening track had me pretty intrigued but I almost fell asleep towards the end of the record, at work.  You're not alone.

On 8/11/2018 at 5:37 PM, Derek™ said:

It's quite literally the most boring post-rock album I've checked out in the last few months.  Opening track had me pretty intrigued but I almost fell asleep towards the end of the record, at work.  You're not alone.

I dunno if you gave it more than one listen but it didn’t do much for me the first time through but then it kept growing on me.

Curious what you’ve been high on lately if this didn’t do it for you.  I haven’t checked out a lot of post-rock this year so I need some goodies.

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

I dunno if you gave it more than one listen but it didn’t do much for me the first time through but then it kept growing on me.

Curious what you’ve been high on lately if this didn’t do it for you.  I haven’t checked out a lot of post-rock this year so I need some goodies.

This and Night Verses have been my instrumental rock albums of the year, thus far. Not sure if there's anything else on my radar for release, but I usually find something. I know you didn't ask me, but I wanted to throw in my buck o five. 

Edited by THE_James_Champ

3 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

This and Night Verses have been my instrumental rock albums of the year, thus far. Not sure if there's anything else on my radar for release, but I usually find something. I know you didn't ask me, but I wanted to throw in my buck o five. 

I’m not familiar with Night Verses so I’m adding to the list right now. Thanks!

EDIT: Jesus, this band is nuts.  “Vice Wave”...my goodness.

Edited by mrewest

8 hours ago, mrewest said:

I may revisit it down the road, but that first listen just didn't seem to grab me enough to queue it up anytime soon.  If I had pre-ordered it I'd probably be more committed to seeing if it'd grow on me.

2018 has been super dry in the realm of post-rock and post-metal, etc.  For me anyway.  New Talons has been treating me well.  And I quite enjoy the latest from El Ten Eleven.  As James mentioned, the newest output from Night Verses is a good bit of fun – the djenty drums and occasional chug make me think of Animals As Leaders, at times, but not enough to deter me from enjoying the album as a whole.  It does a lot of interesting things and explores some really cool ground.

New Toundra didn't do a lot for me.  And the latest GIAA was pretty mediocre, which didn't surprise me.  Potentially looking forward to the new TWDY and End of the Ocean dropping this year.  Maybe Pelican as well?  Holy Roar is also putting out a sophomore album for Pijn – who I had never heard of – but the description dropped Russian Circles, Pelican, and Isis under the "for fans of" writeup.  It's on my radar at least.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

I may revisit it down the road, but that first listen just didn't seem to grab me enough to queue it up anytime soon.  If I had pre-ordered it I'd probably be more committed to seeing if it'd grow on me.

2018 has been super dry in the realm of post-rock and post-metal, etc.  For me anyway.  New Talons has been treating me well.  And I quite enjoy the latest from El Ten Eleven.  As James mentioned, the newest output from Night Verses is a good bit of fun – the djenty drums and occasional chug make me think of Animals As Leaders, at times, but not enough to deter me from enjoying the album as a whole.  It does a lot of interesting things and explores some really cool ground.

New Toundra didn't do a lot for me.  And the latest GIAA was pretty mediocre, which didn't surprise me.  Potentially looking forward to the new TWDY and End of the Ocean dropping this year.  Maybe Pelican as well?  Holy Roar is also putting out a sophomore album for Pijn – who I had never heard of – but the description dropped Russian Circles, Pelican, and Isis under the "for fans of" writeup.  It's on my radar at least.

I'm wondering if your tastes for post-rock are just expiring?  The new Toundra is my favorite of theirs, and the GIAA I appreciate for being different than everything else they've done. 

But yeah, cannot wait for that new TEOTO.

This new Tides of Man album gets better for me with each listen also.  I was super whatever on them; they were always a very middle of the road, not bad by any means but not great band, but this album I like more and more each time. 

Kind of like "Requiem" by Silent Whale.  That album took me like 4 listens before I finally "saw" everything that was going on and got it. 

Just now, Derek™ said:

You may be onto something.  I've felt this way for a while now.

Yeah man.  I'm that way with death metal.  I always appreciate it, because it's where i came from, but I just...  the fire isn't there for me anymore.  A big part of my past, but i'd rather listen to Phish and Appalaches haha

14 hours ago, mrewest said:

I’m not familiar with Night Verses so I’m adding to the list right now. Thanks!

EDIT: Jesus, this band is nuts.  “Vice Wave”...my goodness.

Crazy, yeah? The album's they released prior to this follow a similar path with ToM as well. Doug Robinson was the singer up until recently, though this was a mutual thing. Crazy to see a band transform so powerfully into a fully instrumental ensemble.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2018 at 7:19 PM, Derek™ said:

I may revisit it down the road, but that first listen just didn't seem to grab me enough to queue it up anytime soon.  If I had pre-ordered it I'd probably be more committed to seeing if it'd grow on me. Check-I keep trying, still only one track really does it for me. I keep hinting that they aren't flying out of A1KA for a reason and it's not the $30 price tag.  To be fair, it's another "In The Wake Of Poseidon" phenomenon. Y&C is a staple imho.

2018 has been super dry in the realm of post-rock and post-metal, etc. Check

For me anyway.  New Talons has been treating me well. Check! just got DW copy

And I quite enjoy the latest from El Ten Eleven.  Check

As James mentioned, the newest output from Night Verses is a good bit of fun – the djenty drums and occasional chug make me think of Animals As Leaders, at times, but not enough to deter me from enjoying the album as a whole.  It does a lot of interesting things and explores some really cool ground. Good stuff!

New Toundra didn't do a lot for me. Check (seems like people who got into them at IV are a happier group than early listeners. I know I 've been late to a few parties and it does sometimes work out better that way)

And the latest GIAA was pretty mediocre, which didn't surprise me.  Check - a backslide from a slight resurgence in Helios

Potentially looking forward to the new TWDY (They lost me after S/T) and End of the Ocean (I'm interested, but will wait for the whole album, like you wisely did for Tides of Man) dropping this year.  Maybe Pelican as well? Maybe....

Holy Roar is also putting out a sophomore album for Pijn – who I had never heard of – but the description dropped Russian Circles, Pelican, and Isis under the "for fans of" writeup.  It's on my radar at least. Thanks for the tip, need to check them!

@drds89 – the new Coastlands track is something I dig, too.  But there seems to already be a nice little smattering in the pipeline for 2019.  If you still get mileage out of Mono these days, there’s that for January, I think.  Appleseed Cast are back in the studio next month.  Maserati have been in the studio.  And the new Lost in the Riots tracks are showing great potential, which hint at an early 2019 release.  I’m probably oblivious to some more... but this early on, I’ll gladly take those.

New Coastlands is better suited to me as well. Holding out for the rest

I know Evan is big TPSQ fan, they have finally finished #3, what is it like 8 tracks in 10 years? lol, but I can't think of another band that is 8/8, so I don't mind waiting.

Maserati will be an automatic purchase as well. I would like to see them live one day - they always go to Europe though.

OK, enough hijack from me on the Tides of Man thread. One great track is better than none, but these days, equates to a vinyl purchase regret.

20 hours ago, drds89 said:

New Coastlands is better suited to me as well. Holding out for the rest

I know Evan is big TPSQ fan, they have finally finished #3, what is it like 8 tracks in 10 years? lol, but I can't think of another band that is 8/8, so I don't mind waiting.

Maserati will be an automatic purchase as well. I would like to see them live one day - they always go to Europe though.

OK, enough hijack from me on the Tides of Man thread. One great track is better than none, but these days, equates to a vinyl purchase regret.

New Coastlands is fucking good.  I didn't like To Be Found and thought that release was super boring and unfocused, but this new album is fantastic; really good payoffs and much heavier than To Be Found. 

Who is TPSQ?  Also new Maserati is exciting. 

Finally psyched we get to see the vinyl.  Glad I went with the variant I chose because that orange splatter is underwhelming.  To me, it seems that only Hydra Head Records and Elusive Sound really know how to do proper splatters. 

12 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

New Coastlands is fucking good.  I didn't like To Be Found and thought that release was super boring and unfocused, but this new album is fantastic; really good payoffs and much heavier than To Be Found. 

Who is TPSQ?  Also new Maserati is exciting. 

Finally psyched we get to see the vinyl.  Glad I went with the variant I chose because that orange splatter is underwhelming.  To me, it seems that only Hydra Head Records and Elusive Sound really know how to do proper splatters. 

The Pirate Ship Quintet.  Worth checking out if you’re unfamiliar.

To keep vaguely on topic; is anyone else completely burnt out on splatter vinyl?  Or is that just me?  Especially when the splatters end up being really blotchy streaks with textures that almost look sandy.  I don’t know, maybe I’m becoming old and boring.