PO NOW: Tides of Man- Every Nothing

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

The Pirate Ship Quintet.  Worth checking out if you’re unfamiliar.

To keep vaguely on topic; is anyone else completely burnt out on splatter vinyl?  Or is that just me?  Especially when the splatters end up being really blotchy streaks with textures that almost look sandy.  I don’t know, maybe I’m becoming old and boring.

No, I feel you on this.  I feel like nobody does a SPLATTER anymore, it's just a streak.  I just received my copy of Jesu's "Silver" on the clear/gray splatter, and I swear, only Hydra Head Records knows how to properly do a splatter.  It has that perfect little flame-shaped blob of color that people seem to be missing these days. 

On a side note, that Jesu was from the private archive of a Hydra Heads employee...  they ditched their collection and it's all being sold on Discogs now by Rockaway Records.  Heaps of rare shit at reasonable prices.  You guys ought to check that out.  I will check out Pirate Ship Quintet too.  Definitely never heard them before. 

As far as Tides of Man, I'm really looking forward to spinning this because I haven't played the album since the album stream dropped online.  I haven't gotten an email about that exclusive song though....  how are we to get this?

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

The Pirate Ship Quintet.  Worth checking out if you’re unfamiliar.

To keep vaguely on topic; is anyone else completely burnt out on splatter vinyl?  Or is that just me?  Especially when the splatters end up being really blotchy streaks with textures that almost look sandy.  I don’t know, maybe I’m becoming old and boring.

I am.  Unless it’s done really well, I’d rather have some other kind of variant.

I cancelled in the end. I like the record but not enough to spend $60shipped (excluding import charges). I wish your splatters all the best. 

Also, ahem, top shelve records do the best sounding and looking splatters. Like that G?G! looks great but the music is outstanding so married the best of both. 

Here's the best side from my copy. Definitely not nearly as nice as the mockup, but I'm satisfied enough with it. The blue is a bit more dimensional in person, a little darker and more opaque-looking than the picture, and has some color variations (you can kind of see on the bottom left). It's got some interesting textures though.

IMG-0730.jpg

1 minute ago, alzanderchap said:

Mine is arriving  today but pretty bummed that even after a delay, this is what we get. 

Now I'm curious how the other variants turned out.

I saw a bone/black on IG & it looks exactly like the mock up.  So really this blue one seems to be the only one radically different.  Gonna spin it tonight so I don’t know what the sound quality is like yet.

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

I saw a bone/black on IG & it looks exactly like the mock up.  So really this blue one seems to be the only one radically different.  Gonna spin it tonight so I don’t know what the sound quality is like yet.

Fwiw my copy is nice and clean, no noise or artifacts or anything.

Spinning mine now, I'm fucking liking this!!!!  Definitely enjoying the material a lot more than I did on digital when I streamed the album.  This is wonderful. 

My copy has a very low level of surface noise, definitely nowhere near some of my other records.  Quiet parts aren't intruded-upon at all.  Very happy with mine. 

Also, for those of you balking at the variant.... try holding it up to the light :) 

EDIT:  Okay so I just put Side B on and holy hell, way more noise.  I wouldn't say it's the worst offender, but behind the piano in "Far Off" is a layer of noise.  Not sure why there's such a difference.  But it was *immediately* noticeable once my record started spinning before any music came on.  It sounds like I'm listening to the record with my TV on the static channel in the background lol.  Not like, super loud... but there.  Also, very strange but once "Far Off" ends the noise subsides a little.  So, it might be part of the song?  I'll have to get some pictures of mine though because my Side B looks pretty damn rad. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made my way through the whole record, vinyl-wise.  This has aged very well!  I'm absolutely loving the back half of this release, side C especially.

My side C and D are pretty noisy though; the minute you put the needle down, you hear sandpaper before the music comes in haha.  So weird how some records have this, and others don't.