[PO] Thrice - Palms (9/14/2018)

4 hours ago, FlippingOut said:

I try to hold off on songs from an album I’m excited for. What about you?

With a band like thrice, I listen immediately, I'm a huge fan, so I'm always looking for the next new song! Only problem is, for example, I've listened to The Grey so much by the time the full album gets here I'll skip right over it on the album listen or it'll be stale to me by then. So that ruins the album experience for me.

4 hours ago, thomasj182 said:

With a band like thrice, I listen immediately, I'm a huge fan, so I'm always looking for the next new song! Only problem is, for example, I've listened to The Grey so much by the time the full album gets here I'll skip right over it on the album listen or it'll be stale to me by then. So that ruins the album experience for me.

I'm the same way...I've stopped listening to pre-release songs from albums/bands I like to keep from them becoming stale.

1 hour ago, mmhmm said:

I'm the same way...I've stopped listening to pre-release songs from albums/bands I like to keep from them becoming stale.

I have such a hard time doing that especially with bands I love. A lot of times with albums/bands I don't know well or there's some hype for I'll wait. For example with the boy and the sea, which recently came out I read a little hype for it but waited for the full album to be out. It's easily one of the best albums I've heard this summer. I fell in love with the song the wolf but the album is great. With certain bands like thrice, every time I die, blink, silverstein, and the like I will fiend for new songs haha

14 hours ago, thomasj182 said:

This is a phenomenon I’ve recently come to terms with as well.  I burn out on songs ahead of time or fall SO in love with a song that nothing else lives up to it & makes for a disappointing album.  I try to listen to no more than a song ahead of time & limit how much I listen to it.

5 minutes ago, mrewest said:

This is a phenomenon I’ve recently come to terms with as well.  I burn out on songs ahead of time or fall SO in love with a song that nothing else lives up to it & makes for a disappointing album.  I try to listen to no more than a song ahead of time & limit how much I listen to it.

I just don't have the patients anymore, I think it has a lot to do with me not having the time/finding good music anymore, I used to find a band/song what have you and delve into the rabbit hole but that was in college, now that I'm married, having a kid, and working full time I rarely have time to dick around and find music I really love. So when a band I love like thrice says they're releasing an album but not for 3-4 months I live in that song until something new drops. This summer has been a bit of a let down for me musically, aside from the two alkaline trio songs, thrice song, and the boy and the sea album it's been pretty boring which is why I'm looking forward to a new song. I envy you guys who can wait that 3-4 months for the full album to drop without a sneak peak of it!

14 hours ago, thomasj182 said:

I just don't have the patients anymore, I think it has a lot to do with me not having the time/finding good music anymore, I used to find a band/song what have you and delve into the rabbit hole but that was in college, now that I'm married, having a kid, and working full time I rarely have time to dick around and find music I really love. So when a band I love like thrice says they're releasing an album but not for 3-4 months I live in that song until something new drops. This summer has been a bit of a let down for me musically, aside from the two alkaline trio songs, thrice song, and the boy and the sea album it's been pretty boring which is why I'm looking forward to a new song. I envy you guys who can wait that 3-4 months for the full album to drop without a sneak peak of it!

No kids & a job where I dick around basically all day = mindless browsing of new music constantly haha.  So yeah that definitely helps keep busy in between long waits!

5 minutes ago, mattisr1984 said:

i actually think that track is way better than the grey. 

Same here. I mean they have definitely made the shift to "dad rock", but I think this track is pretty good.
Still none of this hits for me the same way their first 3 albums did. Those early albums are classics. 

9 hours ago, mmhmm said:

Target exclusive compact disc with bonus poster:

https://www.target.com/p/thrice-palms-target-exclusive/-/A-53862820

If you like CDs and folded up posters.  

If, a very big “if” at this point after the two songs we’ve heard, I decide to buy this album, I will probably get the cd through Target.  ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, zuck said:

If I found out about Thrice through these last two albums, I probably wouldn't like them nearly as much as I do. That being said, Palms is so much better than TBEITBN. It'll be interesting, given time, to see where this ends up in my rankings.

You think so? I've listened through a few times and it'll take a few more days to digest but this feels like it may be their weakest release, it's not really doing it for me upon my first few listens.